walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Buachaille Etive Beag

Buachaille Etive Beag

Postby Scotsman2012 » Mon Jul 16, 2012 9:00 pm

Route description: Buachaille Etive Beag

Munros included on this walk: Stob Coire Raineach (Buachaille Etive Beag), Stob Dubh (Buachaille Etive Beag)

Date walked: 14/07/2012

Time taken: 5 hours

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Buachaille Etive Beag.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

Me & my parents were in Glencoe for the weekend as my Dad had just finished the West Highland Way on Thursday and it was their 40th wedding anniversary on Friday. We couldn't get any accommodation in Fort William due to the Glen Nevis Raft Race on Saturday so I suggested staying at the Clachaig... :D

I couldn't pass up the opportunity to get out into the hills around Glencoe and I decided on the Wee Bookle...

I pulled into the car park just after 10am and was on my way by quarter past. A few of the tops kept popping in and out of the cloud but the forecast was for conditions to improve as the day went on...

Buachaille Etive Beag - 14Jul12 002.jpg

It's a great path up to the bealach between the two munros and I got to the point on whether to go left or right in just over an hour - plenty of short stops on the way there for photos of the views opening up, any excuse for a wee breather!

Buachaille Etive Beag - 14Jul12 003.jpg

Buachaille Etive Beag - 14Jul12 004.jpg

It was a left turn for me and the short, steep climb up Stob Coire Raineach. I reached the top just after midday and shared the summit with half a dozen others over the time I was there - always helpful for the pic next to the cairn! And as I had hoped before I started, fantastic views for miles around...

Buachaille Etive Beag - 14Jul12 011.jpg

Buachaille Etive Beag - 14Jul12 013.jpg

Buachaille Etive Beag - 14Jul12 014.jpg

Buachaille Etive Beag - 14Jul12 017.jpg

Buachaille Etive Beag - 14Jul12 022.jpg

I spent 20 minutes or so on the top, mostly getting myself worked up about what seemed to be the narrow and steep ridge of Stob Dubh! I hadn't been worried before seeing it. But now I had, I was asking everyone if they'd climbed it before! Thankfully, someone put my mind at rest by telling me that there was nothing to it and it certainly wasn't as bad as it looked from a distance!

I was on the top on Stob Dubh within an hour - what was all the concern about! :D And the views were just stunning again...

Buachaille Etive Beag - 14Jul12 024.jpg

Buachaille Etive Beag - 14Jul12 026.jpg

Buachaille Etive Beag - 14Jul12 028.jpg

Buachaille Etive Beag - 14Jul12 031.jpg

Buachaille Etive Beag - 14Jul12 035.jpg

Buachaille Etive Beag - 14Jul12 038.jpg

Buachaille Etive Beag - 14Jul12 041.jpg

Buachaille Etive Beag - 14Jul12 042.jpg

And so for the descent back to the car park - my legs are still suffering today! As good as the steps are heading up, I guess they aren't on the way down!

Back to the car for 3.15pm - two munros done in 5 hours. The huge bonus was not having to get up at the crack of dawn for the long drive from Ayrshire and, of course, the drive back. I could get used to weekends away in this neck of the woods. :)
Scotsman2012
Mountaineer

Munros:28   Corbetts:6
Fionas:4   Donalds:9
Sub 2000:7   
Wainwrights:2   Islands:13

Re: Buachaille Etive Beag

Postby Bod » Mon Jul 16, 2012 9:11 pm

Well done :D :D :D
Sounds like a fine time was had by all! Great idea to spend lots of time in this neck of the woods :thumbup:
Bod
Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:67
Fionas:34   Donalds:21
Sub 2000:44   Hewitts:27
Wainwrights:51   Islands:25

Postby Fudgie » Mon Jul 16, 2012 9:55 pm

Well done on enjoying some great views from the top of these two. I did them last week and couldn't see a thing so thanks for showing me what I missed :D
Fudgie
Mountain Walker

Munros:100   Corbetts:20
Fionas:3   Donalds:7

Postby hills » Mon Jul 16, 2012 10:16 pm

Really like this walk, one of the few I have repeated, so great to see your report, you got some smashing photos and look well chuffed. :D
hills
Hill Bagger

Munros:255   Corbetts:170
Fionas:172   Donalds:88
Sub 2000:191   Hewitts:14
Wainwrights:32   Islands:34

Postby monarchming » Tue Jul 17, 2012 1:08 pm

Well done to a fellow "honest man" and I know what you mean about the long drives as after all the years I have been climbing Munros the journeys are getting longer! :lol: I have done these two Munros twice,once in the summer and a classic day in the winter. No doubt I will be back again. :thumbup:
monarchming
Munro compleatist

Munros:162   

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland