walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Beinn Eighe and its two munros

Beinn Eighe and its two munros

Postby scotdavid63 » Mon Jul 16, 2012 10:45 pm

Munros included on this walk: Ruadh-stac Mòr (Beinn Eighe), Spidean Coire nan Clach (Beinn Eighe)

Date walked: 13/07/2012

Time taken: 8 hours

Distance: 15 km

Ascent: 1300m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

As for the whole few days we were just up in Torridon, the weather was excellent and the recent dry conditions meant limited danger for me, the boy (9), and the dog. To add to the full report on this route via the Choire Mhic ... I would say.
The path along the glen between Liathach and Beinn Eighe is in great condition, makes for fast moving and the views make for easing the miles along the valley floor. The waterfalls after you start the turn into the lochan are nice, the water tastes excellent and is as clear as you could imagine. There is a bit of scrambling up from the lochan which is fun and not too demanding. Looking at the scree ascent is a bit scary however and the poster who markes the X and Y was very helpful I must say as we watched two groups really struggle on the main section of scree.
Herein lies the challenge. With a boy of five and a dog, ascent management was uppermost in my mind. The dog had not enjoyed part of the Liathach Spidean climb the day before and the scree is pretty steep. Having watched the other groups zig zag with clear trepidation I looked at it carefully and decided that sticking to the left hand side ws by far the best option as you always have handholds and you can climb on solid rock so much less chance of slipping back. The dog's four wheel drive made is easy for him thankfully. From the ridge up to Ruadh stac mor is a dawdle and the shame of the hill is that Sail Mhor is not a Munro, it is majestic with the triple buttress below it. The ridge walk is pretty straightforward until you get to the second Munro when it gets rocky. We did not complete ridge due to time but finding the stalker path down is easy from the Spidean. Very eroded in places that path but a dawdle compared to the path down from the Spidean on
Liathach. Had a fun encounter with a laid back stag on the way down, no skittish deer this one, he was grand and did not bat an eyelid when a tornado flew along the glen !
Mega sleep in the Torridon campsite that night and not a drop of rain and hardly a midge in sight, bliss.
scotdavid63
Mountain Walker

Munros:282   
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:3   

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland