walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Another Beinn Dorain Report

Another Beinn Dorain Report

Postby ikt68 » Sun Nov 08, 2009 6:54 pm

Route description: Beinn Dòrain & Beinn an Dòthaidh, Bridge of Orchy

Munros included on this walk: Beinn Dòrain

Date walked: 08/11/2009

Time taken: 4 hours

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

I know there is another recent walk report, but been meaning to have a bash at this for a while. So, my first walk report...

Forecast on MWIS was clear, but the only fly in the ointment was I'd need to take my wife's car - a Hyundai Atoz - a 999cc motorised shopping trolley. 120 mile round trip was not that attractive, but the thought of a good day out in the snow was too tempting. Left Alva at 6.15 and on the hill for 8.00.

Made the bealach in just over an hour, and not far above that, there was a good dusting of snow. After the summit there was a steady stream of people coming up as I was going down - everyone seemed cheerful on account of such good conditions.

Since I am a bit of a lame duck with my achillies heels problems (I won't bore you, but if anyone can recommend anything that helps I am all ears. Have changed boots, got gel insoles etc. Think it might just be old age - 40!), I decided to bin Dothaidh and hobble off back to the car.

Great day out, and even enjoyed the driving. Since I couldn't actually overtake anything it was actually quite relaxing. Did stop a few times to let faster vehicles overtake, but if you were stuck behind me on the A82 today then I hope I didn't hold you up too long.

As a footnote, stopped in Callander for my usual post walk bottle of coke (never drink it usually but crave it after a walk), unscrewed the cap and put it in cup holder...turn out of garage, bottle falls to floor, spray everywhere and wife not impressed that I (a) put 120 miles on her car, and (b) covered the inside with coke...

Looking back towards Bridge of Orchy station

The long slog up to the bealach

The view back towards Bridge of Orchy from the bealach

View from the ridge south towards Dorain

View back towards bealach

Towards Beinn Dorain summit

Back towards Bridge of Orchy

View from the summit - Tyndrum in far distance
ikt68
Munro compleatist

Munros:156   Corbetts:4
Fionas:4   Donalds:5
Sub 2000:3   Hewitts:3
Wainwrights:6   

Re: Another Beinn Dorain Report

Postby munrowalker » Sun Nov 08, 2009 8:39 pm

We were up there on the saturday, and you got a much nicer day than we did!

Looks like the snow lifted a lot between saturday and sunday. A lot of people turned back and didn't do the second Munro as finding a route up was near impossible as was totally whited out and no sign of a path at all.
munrowalker

Munros:163   Corbetts:7
Fionas:1   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:9   Hewitts:1
Wainwrights:1   

Postby ikt68 » Sun Nov 08, 2009 9:09 pm

I had been up in October but had to turn back due to terrible weather. This one was worth the wait for a clear day! Forgot I took this at the summit too :
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4haqbxDt-7A[/youtube]
ikt68
Munro compleatist

Munros:156   Corbetts:4
Fionas:4   Donalds:5
Sub 2000:3   Hewitts:3
Wainwrights:6   

Postby smudger831 » Mon Nov 09, 2009 9:29 am

I was up here three weeks ago and I drove past at the weekend and with the snow dusting on top it looked fantastic. Shame you could not do Beinn an Dothaidh as well, as from the top of the Black Mount it looked spectacular.
smudger831
Ambler

Munros:21   Corbetts:1

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland