walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Silver's not good enough for this fortunate Corbett

Silver's not good enough for this fortunate Corbett

Postby Lenore » Wed Jul 18, 2012 11:41 am

Route description: Sgùrr an Airgid

Corbetts included on this walk: Sgùrr an Airgid

Date walked: 12/07/2012

Time taken: 4 hours

Distance: 9.5 km

Ascent: 845m

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

DSC09524 - Copy.JPG
Sgurr an Airgid as seen from road to Ratagan

Third walk in Kintail. I seem to have recovered somewhat from the Sisters so it’s time for a hill again. My first Corbett, and first solo hill. Destination is Sgurr an Airgid, the silver peak and it should be very easy as it’s a good path all the way up which can be spotted from miles away. It stands alone on the corner of Loch Duich and Strath Croe and has free views across the Loch to all the major peaks in the area and because it doesn’t have a munro looming over it it also has clear views towards the islands, Apple Cross and Strathcarron. I’ve heard say that the views from this little hill are perhaps even to be preferred over those from the Sisters because you get nearly everything you also see from the Sisters (it is 850 m high after all) plus there’s the added bonus of seeing the ladies themselves. I must agree! What’s more, you can see other things not visible from the Sisters: stuff behind the South Ridge, the whole length of Gleann Lichd, not only Rum but also Eigg, even Ben Nevis poking out in the gap at the end of Glen Shiel. This is one fortunate little hill. I know many of you climb for the challenge, and that is something this one will not offer, but miss out on these views when in Kintail and you do yourself a disservice. It’s only 4 hours up and down all together, so I’m sure you can find the time somewhere :D

I heard there were feral goats roaming free on this hill and quite looked forward to an encounter. Though I know all that´s meant by this is that they are not domesticated, I can´t help but think of this when hearing the word ‘feral’:

taz.jpg

So quite curious about these beasties :-D They turned out rather harmless and ran down an insanely steep slope when they spotted me (must have thought me the scary one!). Pretty sight:

DSC09353.JPG
goats on Sgurr an Airgid

Others that have done this walk have commented on the bogginess of the bealach, but due to the recent lack of rain I barely got my boots muddy. I know this is hard to believe as all other parts of the country seem to be dissolving in never-ending rain, but it’s true! Made for easy going.

The weather was very comfortable for walking: dry, mostly cloudy, but said to raise above most munros around midday. I went up in a t-shirt but a sharp Northerly wind hit me on the summit that was pretty darn cold without sun to warm me. Out came the thermals, both fleeces, hat and gloves. Yes, this is summer in Scotland…

DSC09416.JPG
It's cold but pretty up here

After going up to the summit I also walked on to a slightly lower second summit a bit further west. There were better views down to the Skye bridge from there, but to tell the truth I prefer the views from the main summit.

DSC09453.JPG
Panorama towards Sisters

There was no-one on the top so I found a spot out of the wind just below the summit cairn facing the Southeast corner and made myself comfortable. Some low clouds drifted by at eye level, but the last of the peaks around soon cleared, the clouds settling just above them. There was some sunshine and blue sky as well, though briefly:

DSC09394.JPG
A bit of blue sky on the summit

The moody light made for strange pictures almost devoid of color:

DSC09391.JPG
Towards Rum

DSC09358.JPG
Towards Glenelg

DSC09359.JPG
Towards Knoydart

DSC09421.JPG
Cloud hanging about the Sisters

DSC09462.JPG
Towards the Saddle

The light kept changing, some sunny patches playing across the hills.

DSC09425.JPG
Hill West of Gleann Lichd - don't know the name.

DSC09459.JPG
A spot of sun in Gleann Lichd

DSC09496 - Copy.JPG
Down towards the bealach

I heard nothing up here but the wind and the occasional raven. I sat and I watched and watched and watched: And before I knew it 3 hours had gone by! I heard voices: 5 people coming up. Time to come out of hiding and head back down, but not before a chat of course. They used my Swiss army knife (5 people and no knife?!) to cut their ‘summit cake’ and I got a big piece myself. Nice  Not that I really needed it; I seem to be doing nothing but eating out here in the hills. I start with double breakfast, then first lunch, second lunch, nuts, fruits, muesli bars, chocolate… I think I’m going to be fat instead of trim when getting back home :-s

On the way back down I spotted this little fellah:

DSC09519 - Copy.JPG
Dragonfly

And was treated to the some pretty colors in the mudflats of the river Croe:

DSC09522 - Copy.JPG
Mudflats of Strath Croe

It was a lovely day!
Lenore
Mountaineer

Munros:13   Corbetts:4
Fionas:1   
Sub 2000:1   

Re: Silver's not good enough for this fortunate Corbett

Postby basscadet » Wed Jul 18, 2012 12:12 pm

What a lovely day you must of had.. Looked great :D
basscadet
Munro compleatist

Munros:84   Corbetts:52
Fionas:18   Donalds:8
Sub 2000:34   Hewitts:13
Wainwrights:17   Islands:21

Postby BlackPanther » Wed Jul 18, 2012 12:15 pm

It's a lovely little hill, I see you enjoyed it even with all the blessings of Scottish summer!
I did it in winter conditions, snow up to my thighs in places but it was fun :D
BlackPanther
Mountain Walker

Munros:268   Corbetts:182
Fionas:136   
Sub 2000:75   

Postby Lenore » Wed Jul 18, 2012 3:24 pm

BlackPanther wrote:It's a lovely little hill, I see you enjoyed it even with all the blessings of Scottish summer!
I did it in winter conditions, snow up to my thighs in places but it was fun :D

Must have been some awesome views in the snow!!
Lenore
Mountaineer

Postby Lenore » Wed Jul 18, 2012 3:25 pm

basscadet wrote:What a lovely day you must of had.. Looked great :D

Thanks, I did indeed :D
Lenore
Mountaineer

Postby BlackPanther » Wed Jul 18, 2012 3:48 pm

Lenore wrote:Must have been some awesome views in the snow!!

One of the best winter walks I've done so far... Posted my TR here:
http://www.walkhighlands.co.uk/Forum/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=12243
BlackPanther
Mountain Walker

Munros:268   Corbetts:182
Fionas:136   
Sub 2000:75   

Postby Lenore » Wed Jul 18, 2012 8:28 pm

BlackPanther wrote:
Lenore wrote:Must have been some awesome views in the snow!!

One of the best winter walks I've done so far... Posted my TR here:
http://www.walkhighlands.co.uk/Forum/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=12243

Oooh stunning those hills with snow!!
Lenore
Mountaineer

Postby Johnny Corbett » Sat Jul 21, 2012 8:38 am

This is a lovely wee walk with stunning views. I did it last year with Kim and her daughter and there some nice spots on the summit for lunch. :)
Johnny Corbett
Mountain Walker

Munros:25   Corbetts:214
Fionas:168   Donalds:74
Sub 2000:302   Hewitts:1
Islands:14

Postby grantrobertson » Sun Jul 22, 2012 11:13 pm

Lovely to see your report, Lenore! I certainly agree with your comments, having climbed the hill, as you know, just a few days before your ascent. Some good pictures there - combination of your photographic skills and a photogenic area, I reckon.Hope the rest of your tour was as good. :D
grantrobertson
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:100
Fionas:33   Donalds:16
Sub 2000:40   

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland