walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Ben Challum (Drama on the hills)

Ben Challum (Drama on the hills)

Postby epmallon » Wed Jul 18, 2012 9:11 pm

Route description: Ben Challum, near Tyndrum

Date walked: 14/07/2012

Distance: 11.5 km

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

After all the recent rain it was good to get back on the hills under dry skies, although it was rather wet underfoot. We decided on Ben Challum a relatively simple hill to walk up according to the books. On my previous two walks prior to this one the first being on the Cobbler my wife slipped on the path coming down and rolled down the hill for a short distance and smacked her head of a rock resulting in a black eye, bruised nose and a scraped face (I do have witnesses, as it can be quite embarrassing walking down the street with your wife and when people see her face bruised they immediately turn and give you funny looks), and on the second one we had just completed our walk when we came upon a walker lying unconscious on the ground and his haversack lying beside him, and a 2 litre bottle of irn bru which was a quarter full nearby. When we approached him he had a split head and a nasty cut on his hand and his knees were all grazed. We managed to get him conscious and it became apparent he was blootered (drunk), his irn bru bottle had been full of vodka so we phoned for an ambulance as he was obviously in need of medical care. We didn’t have to wait to long for the ambulance to arrive and once he was in their care we went on our way. We don’t know how he ended up there or why but he didn’t look like a guy who was a heavy drinker (trouble in the hoose?). So after these walks we were looking forward to a normal day on the hills or so we thought, more of that later. No problem parking at layby across from Kirkton Farm entrance and a straight forward walk from there
DSC_0557.JPG
Old cemetry after Kirkton farm with Cruach Ardrain in the background
through Kirkton farm up to the railway line and then crossing via the bridge and it was just after this we found there was no obvious path to follow up the hill (we may have missed it) so we zig zaged our way up avoiding as much as we could the boggy areas and then crossing the fences using the ladders
DSC_0562.JPG
Cruach Ardrain
DSC_0574.JPG
Trying to avoid the boggy areas
DSC_0626.JPG
Looking over to Ben Lui
DSC_0645.JPG
Ben More, Stob Binnein and Cruach Ardrain
. Finally reaching the start of the pull up to the south top
DSC_0657.JPG
Heading up to the south top
we were rewarded with clear panoramic visibility all around.
DSC_0663.JPG
Crianlarich Hills
DSC_0668.JPG
DSC_0673.JPG
We stopped on the south top for a breather before heading over to Ben Challum top and during our conversation I mentioned that we hadn’t had any drama or mishaps today and one of my companions replied” the days not over yet” and laughed. Having rested we pushed on and at this point we noticed another group of walkers who were half way up the last part of the Ben (later found out they were on their way down) standing in a group looking at the ground. Then we noticed the helicopter from HMS Gannet flying straight towards us
DSC_0676.JPG
HMS Gannet
and then slowing down just over our heads and it was obvious they were looking for someone so we pointed over to the other party and they were soon hovering over them.
DSC_0682.JPG
Lowering a crew member down
When they reached them they lowered one of the crew down to attend to the injured person. To watch a mountain rescue unfold before your eyes is gripping. I will let the following pictures and video tell the rest of the rescue story.
DSC_0689.JPG
DSC_0692.JPG
DSC_0707.JPG
DSC_0706.JPG
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M5sEmpxl7Nk After the helicopter flew off to take the patient to hospital I enquired with his friends to what had happened, he had an artificial knee cap and was on his way down from the top when he stumbled over a rock and his knee cap popped out (ouch sounds painful), I also noticed his friends had been taking photos and possibly videos on their phones and cameras so I didn’t feel so bad filming it myself ( I did inform one of the party I hope they didn’t mind that I had been filming the whole incident and they were ok about it). Well after all the excitement we carried onto the top where we had a bite to eat and took in the wonderful views towards Ben Nevis, Ben Lui, Ben Cruachan, Ben Lawers and the Crianlarich hills.
DSC_0736.JPG
View back towards the south top
DSC_0749.JPG
Ben Lui & Ben Cruachan away in the distance
Hopefully on my next walk the only thing I will be talking about will be the fellowship of my companions and the walk itself.
epmallon

Munros:24   Corbetts:3
Fionas:1   Donalds:1

Re: Ben Challum (Drama on the hills)

Postby audreywaugh » Wed Jul 18, 2012 9:57 pm

We were in Tyndrum at the campsite on Saturday and saw the helicopter flying overhead, glad to know it wasn't a fatality. Nice photos! :D
audreywaugh
Wanderer

Munros:196   Corbetts:46
Fionas:14   Donalds:13
Sub 2000:25   Hewitts:48
Wainwrights:47   Islands:20

Postby Stretch » Wed Jul 18, 2012 10:01 pm

Wow, despite the unfortunate circumstances, that is a great video and shows the fine work of mountain rescue. I hope the walker's knee heals quickly and that he gets back out on the hills again soon.

You have some flair for the dramatic don't you! Who knows what you'll encounter on your next walk!
Stretch
Munro compleatist

Munros:146   Corbetts:8
Sub 2000:2   

Postby Scotjamie » Wed Jul 18, 2012 10:15 pm

Agree with Stretch - almost newsreel drama on things we hope not to see. Well reported!...but do let us know when and where you are next out on the hills............... :wink:
Scotjamie
Wanderer

Munros:148   

Postby Bod » Wed Jul 18, 2012 10:28 pm

It is tremendous the emergency services that we have in this country, something we should never take for granted! So happy all worked out safely and the casulty was quickly delivered to hospital :D
Bod
Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:67
Fionas:34   Donalds:21
Sub 2000:44   Hewitts:27
Wainwrights:51   Islands:25

Postby gammy leg walker » Wed Jul 18, 2012 10:34 pm

Brilliant video,we are so luck to have people like this in our country,the saying goes"there but for the grace of god"
gammy leg walker
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:7
Fionas:4   Donalds:3+0
Sub 2000:2   
Islands:7
Walk wish-list

Postby Gable Gable End » Wed Jul 18, 2012 11:34 pm

a Fine rescue job; I don't know what I would have done without the service back in February!

@epmallon: make sure you keep an eye out for the falling anvils and ACME products on your next walk.....
Gable Gable End
Mountaineer

Munros:64   Corbetts:6
Fionas:4   
Sub 2000:7   

Postby Fudgie » Thu Jul 19, 2012 9:17 am

I was on Ben Starav on Satuday and watched a helicopter like that fly from where you were right up Glencoe but I didn't see where it ended up. If it was the same one then it's good to know it wasn't anything too serious.
Fudgie
Mountain Walker

Munros:100   Corbetts:20
Fionas:3   Donalds:7

Postby monarchming » Thu Jul 19, 2012 9:54 am

Excellent clip of the rescue and to think that in a while it won't HMS Gannet or the RAF that will be getting used.Most people in Prestwick think that this will finish the base at HMS Gannet for good. I hope in future you get a "normal" day on the hills! :lol:
monarchming
Munro compleatist

Munros:162   

Postby Graeme D » Thu Jul 19, 2012 10:44 am

Great piece of reporting on mountain drama. Just one question though - you're not attending the forthcoming Braemar meet are you????? :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Graeme D

Munros:251   Corbetts:123
Fionas:75   Donalds:22
Sub 2000:59   Hewitts:36
Wainwrights:28   Islands:6

Postby epmallon » Thu Jul 19, 2012 10:55 am

I'm beginning to get the feeling people will be avoiding me on the hills, they do say things come in threes so hopefully thats that. :crazy:
epmallon

Munros:24   Corbetts:3
Fionas:1   Donalds:1

Postby old danensian » Fri Jul 20, 2012 2:44 pm

Thanks for providing the report - I was over on neighbouring Sgiath Chuil watching the helicopter come in and out for what seemed ages and hoping that the situation didn't have a sad ending.

OD
old danensian

Munros:282   Corbetts:101
Donalds:9
Hewitts:107
Wainwrights:151   

Postby Collaciotach » Sat Jul 21, 2012 12:59 pm

Here im keeping out of your road haha ... good report :D
Collaciotach
Mountain Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:219
Fionas:47   Donalds:10
Sub 2000:25   
Islands:28

Postby Johnny Corbett » Sat Jul 21, 2012 1:23 pm

Scotjamie wrote:Agree with Stretch - almost newsreel drama on things we hope not to see. Well reported!...but do let us know when and where you are next out on the hills............... :wink:

Here, here. Never a dull moment when you're out, the drunk guy wasn't my mate Jimmy Craghopper was it? :lol:
Johnny Corbett
Mountain Walker

Munros:25   Corbetts:214
Fionas:168   Donalds:74
Sub 2000:302   Hewitts:1
Islands:14

Postby Stuart Angus » Sun Jul 22, 2012 1:03 pm

High drama eh, very cool video & pics of the chopper 8)
Stuart Angus

Munros:81   Corbetts:6
Fionas:3   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:8   Hewitts:3
Wainwrights:4   

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland