walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Liathach

Liathach

Postby monumentgardener » Sun Nov 08, 2009 9:06 pm

Munros included on this walk: Mullach an Rathain (Liathach)

Date walked: 04/11/2009

Time taken: 5 hours

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

IMGP1272.JPG
Stalkers Cottage

Staying at The NTS Stalkers Cottage, the view of Mullach an Rathain out the window was tantalising. Finally, after three days of rain the day dawned fine enough to head for the summit. We chose not to climb straight up the southern Corries as the guide books suggest but to start at the car park above Torridon House and head up the western shoulder to the cairn at the summit of Sgorr a Chadail (701m). The path was ill defined but it was easy to see a way to the cairn. Fantastic views even from this height to Skye, Harris and northwards across to Beinn Alligin.
IMGP1185.JPG
Loch Torridon and Skye

From here it was a stroll to Mullach an Rathain with none of the drama of the ridge until the last few metres and then wow, what a knife-edge!
IMGP1187.JPG
Summit of Mullach an Rathain

Cloud was drifting over the ridge and obscuring the Munro at the eastern end, Spidean a Choire Liath, so I opted to save that for another day and returned by the same route to the car park.
IMGP1192.JPG
Liathach's Ridge

This route made a longer day out but uses gentler slopes.
monumentgardener

Munros:19   Corbetts:7
Donalds:2

Re: Liathach

Postby mountain coward » Mon Nov 09, 2009 4:02 am

This knife-edge... is it after the summit of the Mullach an Rathain or before it? It always looked okay to get to that summit from the western end from photos I've seen so far...
mountain coward

Postby monumentgardener » Mon Nov 09, 2009 9:15 pm

There are only a few metres of scary ridge before the summit of Mullach an Rathain and the serious stuff carries on from there heading east.
monumentgardener

Postby mountain coward » Tue Nov 10, 2009 12:43 am

Okay thanks - I certainly knew it got very serious after that when you reach the (to me) dreaded Am Fasarinen! :o I'm pretty sure I'm going to be doing Liathach in 2 halves - the eastern end and the western end. I'd like to attempt the in between bit but am pretty sure I'll turn back!
mountain coward

Postby monty » Tue Nov 10, 2009 12:32 pm

Nice little report there Monumentgardner. :D

I am saving this ridge for a good dry sunny day next year :D
monty

Postby sgf61 » Sat Nov 14, 2009 1:08 pm

great report seem to have had really good weather, think i might struggle a bit with some parts but will give it a go sometime...maybe
sgf61

Munros:282   Corbetts:15
Grahams:5   Donalds:8
Sub 2000:7   

Postby mountain coward » Sun Nov 15, 2009 9:23 am

Forgot to say in my post... I love that first pic - makes it look like a fugitive stealing your bikes! :lol:
mountain coward

Postby IainG » Sun Nov 15, 2009 11:27 am

I think this is the ridge west of the summit...

..and this is the view from here to the pinnacles...

IainG
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:11
Grahams:7   Donalds:3
Hewitts:1
Wainwrights:4   

Postby mountain coward » Sun Nov 15, 2009 12:06 pm

Same reply as my reply on the Beinn Alligin one I'm afraid - thanks but I'll have to look at those when I get home as work is blocking them :(
mountain coward

Postby monumentgardener » Sun Nov 15, 2009 10:59 pm

What a lovely clear day you had IainG, did you complete the traverse? I'd like to claim that I'd have gone for the whole thing on a day like that...but.....
monumentgardener

Postby SCOTRAIL DRIVER » Tue Nov 17, 2009 2:23 pm

HI GREAT PIC'S AND REPORT , THIS ONE IS ON MY TO DO LIST FOR NEXT YEAR,AFTER YOUR REPORT AND THE VIDEO THAT WAS POSTED FROM THE "MONRO SHOW". SOZ AGAIN HOW WOULD YOU RATE THR RIDGE WALK TO SAY LIKE???? :? :?
SCOTRAIL DRIVER
Munro compleatist

Munros:102   Corbetts:2
Grahams:2   
Sub 2000:1   

Postby IainG » Tue Nov 17, 2009 2:29 pm

monumentgardener wrote:What a lovely clear day you had IainG, did you complete the traverse? I'd like to claim that I'd have gone for the whole thing on a day like that...but.....

Yes, done the ridge traverse from east to west which was spectacular, the pinnacles were great fun aswell. One of my favourites.

IainG
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:11
Grahams:7   Donalds:3
Hewitts:1
Wainwrights:4   

Postby monumentgardener » Tue Nov 17, 2009 9:20 pm

Great photos! Not sure if they're helping though. Have to psych myself up for this one.
monumentgardener

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Walkhighlands community forum is advert free

We need help to keep the site online.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and the online community by setting up a monthly donation by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland