walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Buachaille Etive Mor

Buachaille Etive Mor

Postby thunderchocolate » Sat Jul 21, 2012 11:19 pm

Route description: Buachaille Etive Mòr

Munros included on this walk: Stob Dearg (Buachaille Etive Mòr), Stob na Bròige (Buachaille Etive Mòr)

Date walked: 06/07/2012

Time taken: 5.75 hours

Distance: 13 km

Ascent: 1110m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

First of 3 walks my daughter Hannah and I did on our recent trip to Scotland. We did Beinn Alligin and Cairn Gorm later in the week. There was a bit of cloud on the summits but conditions seemed ideal for walking.
What looked like a steep and possibly difficult climb to the top of Coire na Tulaich never really materialised. It was a steady drag until near the top, where there appeared to be a variety of routes to scramble up.

008 Coire na Tulaich.jpg
Coire na Tulaich

033 Coire na Tulaich.jpg
Almost at the top

Stob Dearg had its cloud hat on as we headed up the path, passed by several cairns, and reached the summit after about 15 mins. Came straight back down to the top of the Coire to see the cloud was finally lifting.
Proceeded on to Stob na Doire, steady climb but not difficult, and had a good view back to Stob Dearg
076 View back to Stob Dearg from stob na Doire.jpg
The route from Stob Dearg to Stob na Doire

Continued on to Stob Coire Altruim passing the the path down on our way up, and then up to Stob na Broige.
The weather was improving and we could see Ben Nevis in the distance.
113 Me at summit of Stob na Broige.jpg
Me and Ben, Stob na Broige summit

There were good views all around now, Rannoch Moor, Aonach Eagach, Bidean nam Bien, Loch Etive were all photographed as the sky started to turn blue.
115 Stob Coire Altruim, Stob na Doire & Stob Dearg.jpg
Looking back on the route to Stob na Broige

Back to Stob Coire Altruim and to the path down to Lairig Gartain.
This was the trickiest part of the walk, the path in parts was quiet slippy and there were several instances of having to sitting on rocks to scramble down. (well I had to)
085 Path down from Stob Coire Altruim.jpg
The path down from Stob Coire Altruim

Made good time reaching the river and back to the car park. By that time, the weather was sunny with good views and Stob Dearg had finally lost its cloud hat.
139 Stob Dearg.jpg
thunderchocolate
Munro compleatist

Munros:24   Corbetts:1
Fionas:2   
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:110
Wainwrights:214   Islands:4

Re: Buachaille Etive Mor

Postby Bod » Sat Jul 21, 2012 11:46 pm

Nice one, that's a great day out, glad the weather turn good for you as the day progressed :D
Bod
Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:67
Fionas:34   Donalds:21
Sub 2000:44   Hewitts:27
Wainwrights:51   Islands:25

Re: Buachaille Etive Mor

Postby gammy leg walker » Sun Jul 22, 2012 7:24 am

Thanks for posting,hoping to climb this next weekend.
gammy leg walker
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:7
Fionas:4   Donalds:3+0
Sub 2000:2   
Islands:7
Walk wish-list

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland