walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

A Munro at last

A Munro at last

Postby jnrgill » Sun Jul 22, 2012 12:50 pm

Route description: Ben Lomond

Munros included on this walk: Ben Lomond

Date walked: 22/07/2012

Time taken: 4.5 hours

Distance: 12 km

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

A short report to say that despite my fears I finally managed to do Ben Lomond!

Only started walking last year and as much as I enjoy it I am still a really nervous walker :crazy: I am not so keen on heights and can panic a bit if the clouds get low but as they saying goes ...face your fears.

We took the tourist path from the car park and I couldn't believe how busy it was and also could not believe the amount of people that seem ill prepared....no walking gear and one small bottle of water...oooft! Some of the path was tough going and I had a bit of a wobble with the height near the top but alas i pushed through. Not much of a view from the top due to the clouds, quick picture and then headed back down and at points it was tough going on the knees and so glad I had my walking poles.

So glad I done it and it has made me more confident, managed to do it in 4 hours and 12 mins to be precise and I think a good few Sunday's doing the Glen Loin Loop helped this unfit smoker :wink:
jnrgill
Mountaineer

Munros:1   Corbetts:1
Grahams:1   

Re: A Munro at last

Postby mrssanta » Sun Jul 22, 2012 1:18 pm

well done, good start to getting fit! and facing your fears won't be long before you are off up Liathach if you keep at it! :crazy: :D
mrssanta
Munro compleatist

Munros:245   Corbetts:10
Grahams:3   
Sub 2000:9   Hewitts:44
Wainwrights:40   Islands:8

Re: A Munro at last

Postby jnrgill » Sun Jul 22, 2012 2:53 pm

Just had a wee look at Liathach :shock: .....lets just say I'm probably a few years off even attempting that one.... :lol:
jnrgill
Mountaineer

Munros:1   Corbetts:1
Grahams:1   

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Walkhighlands community forum is advert free

We need help to keep the site online.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and the online community by setting up a monthly donation by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland