walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

The Glenshee Four

The Glenshee Four

Postby CurlyWurly » Mon Nov 09, 2009 12:44 pm

Route description: Glas Maol Munros circuit, Cairnwell Pass

Munros included on this walk: Cairn of Claise, Càrn an Tuirc, Creag Leacach, Glas Maol

Date walked: 07/11/2009

Time taken: 6 hours

Distance: 19 km

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

It was with huge reluctance that I dragged myself out of bed at 5am. I am unsure if this was due to the dark and cold morning or the fact that my days hiking was going to be some of the Munro’s in the vicinity of the Glenshee ski centre. My spirits soon lifted as I drove north up the A93 and watched the amazing sunrise and by 7:45am I was parking up in the laybay south of the ski centre near the foot of Meall Gorm.

The plan was to head up towards Meall Gorm and then over the summits of Creag Leacach, Glas Maol, Cairn of Claise, Carn and Tuirc and then drop down to the A93 and hopefully hitch a ride back to the car.

Leaving the car, I followed the Allt Coire a’Bhathaich for a short while and then took a direct route up the hillside to the summit of Meall Gorm. From here I climbed up the hill and soon I was on the summit of Creag Leacach.

IMG_0063.jpg
Looking to Glas Maol from Creag Leacach

The sun was now glowing in the blue sky and the view of the snow covered tops was amazing. Following the wall I headed on towards the frosty summit of Glas Maol. It was just cold enough to have frozen the ground but not to the extent that you needed crampons. Exactly two hours after leaving the car I was sat on the summit of Glas Maol with a cup of hot vimto in my hand, happy days!

IMG_0070.jpg
The frosty summit of Glas Maol

IMG_0072.jpg
Looking across to Cairn of Claise from Glas Maol

IMG_0077.jpg
Looking back towards Glas Maol from Cairn of Claise

Refreshed, I set off towards Munro number three, Cairn of Claise and as I reached the summit another couple had just beat me there having ascended up towards Glas Maol from the ski centre. Their destination was Tom Buidhe and they invited me along with the generous offer of a lift back to my car at the end. There is no doubt that a lift in a warm car would beat trudging along the A93 but I had already climbed Tom Buidhe and I really wanted to put Carn an Tuirc ‘to bed’ as well.

Wishing them well I left the summit and crossed the boggy plateau towards Carn an Tuirc. This would be tough going in the rain but the over night frost had frozen ground so I enjoyed a quick and dry walk across and up to the summit

IMG_0079.jpg
Near the summit of Carn an Tuirc - the cloud begins to draw in

It was now noon and I had made really good progress, four Munro’s in four hours – great news. Heading down to the A93 I knew that I had a 4km walk back to the car along the road and I contemplated eliminating some of the walk along the road by climbing Carn Aosda and The Cairnwell. This was soon dismissed as I looked back towards Glas Maol and cloud was already beginning to draw in. By the time I was hiking up the A93 towards the ski centre the summit of Carn Aosda was also covered with cloud. I decided to quit whilst I was on top and headed back to the car.

Cheers, CurlyWurly

GlensheeRoute.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

CurlyWurly
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:47
Fionas:17   Donalds:33
Sub 2000:13   Hewitts:51
Wainwrights:50   

Re: The Glenshee Four

Postby sloosh » Mon Nov 09, 2009 1:00 pm

Curly Wurly wrote:I contemplated eliminating some of the walk along the road by climbing Carn Aosda and The Cairnwell. This was soon dismissed as I looked back towards Glas Maol and cloud was already beginning to draw in.

Slacker. :lol:

Nice pics. :)

It's amazing how a dusting of frost or snow completely transforms the mountain environment.

Did you ever get your lift or did you have to hoof it back to the car?
sloosh

Munros:62   Corbetts:1

Postby CurlyWurly » Mon Nov 09, 2009 2:02 pm

There was only about three cars that passed me and not one of them stopped :(

LOL @ Slacker - I think the weather coming in was just the excuse I needed to justify me not doing the other mountains but in reality I was knackered :) and whilst there was enough time to climb Carn Aosda and The Cairnwell, I would not of had enough time to do Carn a'Gheoidh so I would have to return anyway to do that so i thought i may as well do all three in one go another day. :)
CurlyWurly
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:47
Fionas:17   Donalds:33
Sub 2000:13   Hewitts:51
Wainwrights:50   

Postby skuk007 » Mon Nov 09, 2009 4:36 pm

Great pictures, well done, four in four hours! :)
Miserable lot not stopping. I wonder how many people actually stop to pick up muddy wet walkers though, even if it is for a couple of minutes.
skuk007
Mountain Walker

Munros:44   
Hewitts:8
Wainwrights:16   

Postby monty » Tue Nov 10, 2009 1:00 pm

Hi Curlywurly,
I done these plus Tolmount and Tom Buihde last month. Unfortunately i was in the clag for most of the way round so its nice to see what it looks like in the sunshine. :D
monty

Postby HighlandSC » Tue Nov 10, 2009 1:58 pm

skuk007 wrote:Great pictures, well done, four in four hours! :)
Miserable lot not stopping. I wonder how many people actually stop to pick up muddy wet walkers though, even if it is for a couple of minutes.

I used to drive around the West of Scotland chuckling at those crazy people with big rucksacks and walking poles going along a road in the middle of nowhere! Thinking about it though- very few of them were actively thumbing a lift - and those that were got a thumb up in reply from me as I whizzed past! :shock: Indeed, it was the fact of letting a muddy wet walker into recently valeted car that made me do that! I'd be a lot more welcoming to them these days now I'm one myself :lol:
HighlandSC

Munros:33   Corbetts:4
Fionas:2   
Sub 2000:14   
Islands:8

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland