walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Mud,then Ice,then Snow.:-) Beinn Chabhair.

Mud,then Ice,then Snow.:-) Beinn Chabhair.

Postby David.Ferguson » Mon Nov 09, 2009 4:08 pm

Route description: Beinn Chabhair, from Inverarnan

Munros included on this walk: Beinn Chabhair

Date walked: 09/11/2009

Time taken: 6 hours

Distance: 14 km

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

The original plan this week was to tackle this walk on Saturday,but family stuff needing done put paid to that.But
i am so glad i headed out yesterday.
Got my gear packed and scraped the ice from the car and was on my way for 6:45.Took it easy on the way up,especially
Loch Lomondside as you could see the ice around the puddles and road edges.Parked up at Inverarnan and by the time i had faffed about and played with my GPS (new 5800 nokia phone with Viewranger loaded and walkhighlands route) i got on my way at 8:30.

Up the road,over the bridge and away round the back of the TIPI's and we were off.The path winds up the left hand side
of the waterfall in the picture below.

Beinn Chabhair 035.jpg
Looking from Inverarnan carpark.Actually taken at end of the walk.

Beinn Chabhair 001.jpg
Looking back to Inverarnan.

After the initial climb you are on an easy path up the side of Glengyle Water,it is a mudfest though and a real slog.Gaiters a must. It feels long.

Beinn Chabhair 007.jpg
First view of Ben Chabhair.Snow.

I continued on up the side of Glengyle water and if you are paying attention to your map and GPS you will have
started to head uphill before you reach the point below.

Beinn Chabhair 010.jpg
Lochan Beinn Chabhair is Beautiful.

The view of Chabhair is now impressive with the snow on top.

Beinn Chabhair 015.jpg
Heading up there.Phew.!

I got started on the slog up after backtracking a bit and heading up the path.Still a bit of mud but good going then it started to get Icy with a few wee bits needing some careful foot placing.

Beinn Chabhair 022.jpg
Foreground is the path up Chabhair,background is An Caisteal.

The views started to open up,and what views they were.

Beinn Chabhair 018.jpg

Beinn Chabhair 023.jpg

Beinn Chabhair 025.jpg
An Caisteal and beyond.

I got up to the lower point of the summit following the footprints on the path but was surprised to see no footprints at
all heading to the 933m summit and cairn.Fresh snow and i was first to walk across it.

Beinn Chabhair 024.jpg
on towards the summit.

I headed for the summit and was closely followed by another 3 guys with their little Jack Russell who was trotting about
as happy as Larry in the snow.
There was not a single breath of wind on the summit,a first for the few Munro's i have done.

The summit.

Beinn Chabhair 028.jpg
The view back to the summit as i headed down.

Some views from the top.Can't name all the snow covered peaks,maybe someone can correct me if i have them
wrong.

Beinn Chabhair 027.jpg
Towards Ben Vorlich,vane,ime and Narnain.

Beinn Chabhair 026.jpg
I think this is(L to R),Chleibh,Lui,Oss,Dubhchraig.

Beinn Chabhair 019.jpg
I think this is Beinn Bhuidhe with snow in the distance.

I then started the slog out through the mud but with the brilliant weather you could not complain.A last look back to the summit and headed on down at a good pace,the ice made some of the path interesting.Need to get myself at least one
walking pole,that extra support would be a great help on the descents.

Beinn Chabhair 029.jpg
A last look back.

Beinn Chabhair 030.jpg
The road out.

A fantastic day out and i was knackered.I doubt if i will get many Munro climbing days with such perfect weather
but i can hope.

Oh before i forget,the GPS was fantastic.I had it on the whole way in and out and the phone battery still showed
approx 80% charge.I will still use paper maps as my primary navigation but when route's are difficult to follow or the weather closes in i will be using GPS.I kept the phone in a small Ortlieb bag but will be ordering an Aquapac designed for
PDAs to store it in,it should be safe.

Cheers.

David.
David.Ferguson
Munro compleatist

Munros:43   Corbetts:3
Fionas:1   Donalds:1

Re: Mud,then Ice,then Snow.:-) Beinn Chabhair.

Postby monty » Tue Nov 10, 2009 1:05 pm

Hi David,
Nice report with some rugged looking photos in the sunshine :D Lucky Bugger :lol:

I have a samsung omnia with mamory map and its superb. I have an Aquapac dry bag with a clear front which I have used for months and it keeps the omnia dry in all weathers. :D
monty

Re: Mud,then Ice,then Snow.:-) Beinn Chabhair.

Postby David.Ferguson » Tue Nov 10, 2009 8:12 pm

Hi Monty

Thanks.Good to know on the aquapac,they look like a reliable bit of kit.

Cheers

David.
David.Ferguson
Munro compleatist

Munros:43   Corbetts:3
Fionas:1   Donalds:1

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland