walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Beautiful day on Bynack More

Beautiful day on Bynack More

Postby gyles » Tue Jul 24, 2012 11:27 pm

Route description: Bynack More from Glenmore

Munros included on this walk: Bynack More

Date walked: 24/07/2012

Time taken: 5 hours

Distance: 19.5 km

3 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

I've been waiting since March for my next holidays from work and finally they came around. I've been planning for a few months with friends to do some hillwalking and Bynack More was on my hit list. I'm fairly new to the hillwalking and reading the reports this was an straight forward climb to do, so this was the one.

The forecast on MWIS promised a decent day, sunny intervals, clear peaks, gradually becoming more cloudy into the afternoon. Couldn't wait to get started.

We left Moray at 8, arriving at Glenmore at 9. The 4 of us set off at good pace, coming across fairly soon Lochan Ulaine which was glorious with its turquoise blue waters.

101.JPG
Lochan Ulaine

100.JPG
Lochan Ulaine

We spent a good 15 minutes admiring the Loch and moved on. The sun was blaring down and we were feeling the heat as early as it was in the morning. Pressing on after taking the Braemar turning we hit the River Nethy looking inviting to jump into.

104.JPG
River Nethy

105.JPG
Strath Nethy

We carried on at an easy gradient although we started gradually climbing as the steep peak loomed in-front of us.

109.JPG
Bynack More awaits us

After a good climb we pulled ourselves to the top, for a well earned lunch. We had a slight haze in the sky but couldn't complain at the brilliant views over Moray and the rest of the Cairngorm range to the west.

111.JPG
Looking towards Ben Macdui

118.JPG
Looking North over Moray

124.JPG
The 4 of us at the top

Well since we were here we couldn't miss the Barns of Bynack. We headed South to the small barns and headed East from there, and sure they were there. We had a good clamber about them, exploring the way to the top. We had a great time.

117.JPG
Small barns visible from the peak

128.JPG
Barns of Bynack

130.JPG
Sean exploring

139.JPG
Nearly there

142.JPG
Time to go

We had a good 30 minutes climbing about the Barns then headed back up the peak and down the path again. Overall it was a great day, a good walk with the perfect weather. Full credit to MWIS for having the forecast spot on :clap: This was Sean's 1st Munro so he was fairly chuffed at the achievement and didn't scare him off from coming back for more.

We were tired and weary at the end but found our way back to the pub for a pint or 2. Looking forward to the next adventure this weekend as we tackle Cairn Gorm and Ben Macdui.

Thanks for reading :)
gyles

Munros:26   Corbetts:5
Grahams:6   
Sub 2000:22   

Re: Beautiful day on Bynack More

Postby hills » Wed Jul 25, 2012 6:22 pm

Great report, lovely country around here, always a pleasure to visit the green loch as well. :D
hills
Munro compleatist

Munros:215   Corbetts:109
Grahams:109   Donalds:65
Sub 2000:157   Hewitts:4
Wainwrights:8   

Postby gyles » Wed Jul 25, 2012 10:08 pm

Thank you.

Yeah very fortunate to have the Cairngorms close by. I'm looking forward to doing more hill walks in the area. :)
gyles

Postby Bod » Thu Jul 26, 2012 10:04 am

It's a fun mountain is Bynack More. Glad you got a fine day for it :)
Bod
Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:47
Grahams:28   Donalds:20
Sub 2000:39   Hewitts:9
Wainwrights:7   Islands:24

Postby BlackPanther » Thu Jul 26, 2012 10:36 am

I love this hill, one of my all time favourites :D All these big rocks to climb and hide between... The Corbett Creag Mhor just next to Bynack More is just as nice. Not to mention Lochan Uaine and its magical green waters.
BlackPanther
Mountain Walker

Munros:260   Corbetts:163
Grahams:112   
Sub 2000:46   

Postby David-Main » Thu Jul 26, 2012 3:08 pm

I am planing this munro at the weekend weather permiting.. does'nt look good so far.. rain, im also fae Moray - Elgin , where you lads from? I have also recently started hill walking.
David-Main
Backpacker

Munros:204   Corbetts:38
Grahams:13   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:19   
Islands:20

Postby jmarkb » Thu Jul 26, 2012 4:00 pm

BlackPanther wrote:The Corbett Creag Mhor just next to Bynack More is just as nice.

Lovely, isn't it: feels quite a remote spot. A really nice trip is to park at Glenmore, get a lift (or the bus) up to the ski car park, go up Fiacaill a' Choire Chas, down Coire Raibert to Loch Avon, past the Fords of Avon, up Creag Mhor and back to Glenmore via to top of Bynack More and Ryvoan.
jmarkb
Mountaineer

Munros:241   Corbetts:92
Grahams:78   Donalds:29
Sub 2000:41   

Postby skuk007 » Thu Jul 26, 2012 7:54 pm

Good report gyles, looking forward to doing this one eventually, those Barns look like fun. :-)
skuk007
Mountain Walker

Munros:44   
Hewitts:8
Wainwrights:16   

Postby L-Hiking » Thu Jul 26, 2012 8:13 pm

Ah..memories :lol: nice report, that lochan is beautiful
L-Hiking
Mountaineer

Munros:60   Corbetts:7
Grahams:2   
Sub 2000:2   Hewitts:142
Wainwrights:214   

Postby gyles » Thu Jul 26, 2012 8:55 pm

David-Main wrote:I am planing this munro at the weekend weather permiting.. does'nt look good so far.. rain, im also fae Moray - Elgin , where you lads from? I have also recently started hill walking.
We're all from Forres. Yeah weather looks mixed for the Cairngorms, we're planning 2 munros for Saturday.
gyles

3 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Walkhighlands community forum is advert free

We need help to keep the site online.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and the online community by setting up a monthly donation by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland