walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

A pair of Marilyns in Shetland, part 1

A pair of Marilyns in Shetland, part 1

Postby LaurenAlexandra » Wed Jul 25, 2012 9:10 pm

Route description: Ward of Bressay and Kirkabister Ness, Bressay

Sub 2000' hills included on this walk: Ward of Bressay (Bressay)

Date walked: 16/07/2012

Time taken: 2.75 hours

Distance: 4 km

Ascent: 226m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

I spent an awesome week in Shetland last week. The weather was great, much better than we had been having in Edinburgh, and I did quite a bit of rambling about and sightseeing.

This was the one completely cloudy day during my stay, and as I had nothing else planned, I decided to take the ferry across the harbor from Lerwick to Bressay and see what I could see. I had done some reading up on this site and realized that that hill across the water with the radio towers on it is actually a sub-2000 Marilyn, so I figured I'd have a go at it!

DSC00646.JPG
Sizing up the hill.

After getting off the ferry I walked along the road, following the signs to Mail and then Glebe. This route took me along the harbor, which was deserted on this particular day but still pleasant enough. Getting to Glebe, I passed the playground and then took a left turn to find the path up the hill behind some houses.

DSC00649.JPG
From the bottom of the path.

The path was gravel and pretty easy going most of the way up, although it got a bit steep near the top. I made the summit in about 90 minutes, including the time it took to walk the couple of miles from the ferry dock to the beginning of the path.

DSC00657.JPG
Awkward self-taken photo at the summit cairn.

There were some nice views back toward Lerwick to be had from the top. I also saw something which might or might not have been the island of Noss, but the radio tower was in the way so I wasn't sure, and I couldn't consult my tourist map with any confidence because of the wind up there. I took me around 75 minutes to get back to the ferry dock, including a bathroom break at the public toilet in Mail - just in time for me to miss the 3:00 sailing. :-? And the tourist office at the dock was closed, so I had to content myself with swinging my legs on a bench for half an hour until the next boat.

All in all, an easy wee hill and a pleasant enough afternoon, and best of all, I finally get to turn another one of those red balloons blue on my hill map!
LaurenAlexandra
Mountaineer

Munros:1   
Sub 2000:2   

Re: A pair of Marilyns in Shetland, part 1

Postby morag1 » Wed Jul 25, 2012 10:37 pm

Great report, never been to Shetland so good to see what it looks like. :D
Well done on the pair of Marilyns :clap:
morag1

Postby LaurenAlexandra » Wed Jul 25, 2012 11:02 pm

Thanks! Forgot to mention, the other one was Saxa Vord on Unst, which I'll be posting about tomorrow, most likely. :D
LaurenAlexandra
Mountaineer

Postby foggieclimber » Fri Jul 27, 2012 9:06 am

Good stuff. Looking forward to your Saxa Vord report.

I haven't been to Shetland, yet! Lots of Marilyns and Islands to visit there, so I'm looking forward to a future visit. The nine Marilyns on nearby Orkney were all superb!
foggieclimber

Postby Mountainlove » Fri Jul 27, 2012 11:08 am

Please post some pictures of Shetland in your next post...never been either and would love to see some countryside shots :D Thank you for posting...lol did not realize there were hills...always thought it is pretty flat :crazy:
Mountainlove
Munro compleatist

Munros:88   Corbetts:54
Fionas:7   Donalds:10
Sub 2000:3   
Islands:10

Postby LaurenAlexandra » Fri Jul 27, 2012 11:12 am

Yeah, I was expecting it to be flat as well. Really, I think I was expecting Orkney, only further north - flat and rocky with dead-straight roads. But Shetland actually reminded me quite a bit of northwestern Ireland: green, hilly, and rugged.

Maybe I'll do a post in General Discussion with a bunch of photies?
LaurenAlexandra
Mountaineer

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland