walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

beeing turned back off cairn gorm

beeing turned back off cairn gorm

Postby nbrannigan » Wed Jul 25, 2012 10:38 pm

Munros included on this walk: Cairn Gorm

Date walked: 25/07/2012

Time taken: 4 hours

Distance: 7.5 km

3 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

This was my second time up Cairn Gorm the first time I did this was when I was six and I got to summit easily due to good weather, but today was very different. We drove to the Sking car park and the base station for the Fanicular railway, but it was lashing of rain so we drove off the slopes of Cairn gorm to do a "simple" forest walk instead it was a terrible walk and we got lost :lol: . However when we got back to our car we looked back at carin gorm and it was cleer skies and sunny, so we headed back to the ski center and base station carpark and began to walk up the slopes. finaly! :lol:
At first you follow a very wide track whish follows along side the fanicular railway, then you cross under the railway and the path thins out slightlay as you walk under the ski tow. After around 3 quarters of a killmiter on this path you come to a T junction go right and now you follow the path to the cafe. Here we saw a family of ptarmigans but this excitment was quelled by the red rope and a sign saying path ahead clossed because of heavy snow :evil: infact it was snowing there. I was so anoyed i sat on a soaked bench. so we descended back the way we came slightly down harted.

Neil Brannigan

Aged 12
Last edited by nbrannigan on Thu Jul 26, 2012 4:04 pm, edited 3 times in total.
nbrannigan
Stravaiging

Munros:265   Corbetts:3
Fionas:2   Donalds:5
Sub 2000:5   

Re: beeing turned back off cairn gorm

Postby morag1 » Wed Jul 25, 2012 10:43 pm

Thats a shame Neil, I would be mad if that happened to me :evil:

Still, you wrote a very good report of the route you took which will be helpful to anyone who wants to go up there

Third time lucky though :thumbup:
morag1

Postby hills » Wed Jul 25, 2012 10:56 pm

Well done for trying Neil. Better luck next time. :D
hills
Hill Bagger

Munros:255   Corbetts:170
Fionas:172   Donalds:88
Sub 2000:191   Hewitts:14
Wainwrights:32   Islands:34

Postby AlisonFox66 » Thu Jul 26, 2012 12:05 pm

never seen a sign saying path closed up there - I guess being old and stupid I would ignore it
AlisonFox66
Ambler

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:219   Donalds:87
Sub 2000:497   Hewitts:311
Wainwrights:214   

Postby skuk007 » Thu Jul 26, 2012 7:47 pm

Well done for getting that far, shame about the sign. Heavy snow and the hills are closed, what's going on, and where did that snow come from?
skuk007
Mountain Walker

Munros:44   
Hewitts:8
Wainwrights:16   

Postby nbrannigan » Thu Jul 26, 2012 11:30 pm

skuk007 wrote:Well done for getting that far, shame about the sign. Heavy snow and the hills are closed, what's going on, and where did that snow come from?

Ye I know right snow can just come in at any time
nbrannigan
Stravaiging

Munros:265   Corbetts:3
Fionas:2   Donalds:5
Sub 2000:5   

3 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland