walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

The Dumpling, Duncryne

The Dumpling, Duncryne

Postby allansmitchell » Tue Nov 10, 2009 9:20 pm

Route description: Duncryne hill, by Gartocharn

Date walked: 10/07/2009

Time taken: 1 hours

Distance: 1 km

Ascent: 88m

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

As I look back now this is not much of a feat, however after no fitness for years recovering from injury we had to start somewhere, and this wee hill is one Im sure I will do for years to come.
We parked on the main road, and walked up the country road to the start of this walk. On the way we passed a farm and were joined by a sheepdog (Millie from her dog collar), who joined us, or I should say, guided us along the road all the way to the top, only asking in return for us to throw sticks for her.
There is a track through the trees, that then leads throught the farmers field until you reach the bottom of "The Dumpling"
You then have a steep climb (through the ferns in the summer) that s-shapes its way to the summit if it can be called that.
At the top you have a great view up loch lomond, which appeals to myself for photography, you can get to the top of this hill in no time and set up a tripod and wait for the sun to rise, if it is not any good you can keep trying until you get the shot you want.
We then played with Millie for a while to thank her for guiding us to the top, before she resumed her duties and led another family off the top.
We then spent another while having some lunch and enjoying the weather and view. I would assume this is more of a family hill, rather than a baggers hill, but for the views below the cloud line it is a must see. We combined the day with "The Whangie" then here for lunch making up for a nice days walking
allansmitchell
Mountaineer

Munros:4   Corbetts:3
Fionas:4   Donalds:5
Sub 2000:7   

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland