walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

The Whangie

The Whangie

Postby allansmitchell » Tue Nov 10, 2009 9:42 pm

Route description: The Whangie, Kilpatrick Hills

Date walked: 10/05/2009

Time taken: 2 hours

Distance: 4 km

Ascent: 180m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

A pleasent small walk from the car park, boggy to begin with, then a steep acent up two thirds of the height where you level off, you can then cross the style up the hill following the path to the summit, or as we did continue straight on heading for "The whangie", it undulates and can be boggy in places. At the whangie we took the left hand entrance and kept left, leading you through the 200 feet gash in the rock.
On exit you follow the trail round to the left, keeping left up the hill to the trig point on the summit of Auchineden Hill.
From here you continue heading back towards the car park, rejoining the route at the style.
Last edited by allansmitchell on Wed Jan 20, 2010 8:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
allansmitchell
Mountaineer

Munros:4   Corbetts:3
Fionas:4   Donalds:5
Sub 2000:7   

Re: The Whangie

Postby mountain coward » Wed Nov 11, 2009 1:30 am

Are the gashes natural or man-made/quarrying? Looks a fascinating place... Where is the starting carpark?
mountain coward

Postby allansmitchell » Wed Nov 11, 2009 2:31 am

Queens View car park on the A809, you cant miss it, large enough for 30 odd cars

The gashes are natural, local ledgend is devided in opinion that they were caused by the devils tail, 2 storys, one he was chasing God and lashed the rock in the process and the other was he was a happy wee devil on his way to meet some witches and flicked his tail in delight.
allansmitchell
Mountaineer

Postby mountain coward » Wed Nov 11, 2009 2:59 am

Great tales (or should I say tails :D )... but what I meant was, where is the hill near? I have no idea where it is apart from probably somewhere near Glasgae? (although I have heard of it of course...)
mountain coward

Postby kevsbald » Wed Nov 11, 2009 5:20 pm

Hi MC,

it's probably nearest the likes of Dumgoyne and the Campsie fells. It really is only a few miles out of Glasgow.
Very popular.
kevsbald
Munro compleatist

Munros:273   Corbetts:134
Fionas:82   Donalds:53
Sub 2000:17   Hewitts:17
Wainwrights:29   

Postby mountain coward » Thu Nov 12, 2009 1:24 am

Is it called 'The Whangie' on the map or does it have another name?
mountain coward

Postby MacCookie » Thu Nov 12, 2009 9:36 am

mountain coward wrote:Is it called 'The Whangie' on the map or does it have another name?

http://www.multimap.com/s/hvK8QqqA
MacCookie
Rambler

Munros:282   Corbetts:8
Fionas:1   

Postby allansmitchell » Thu Nov 12, 2009 9:17 pm

Auchineden Hill
allansmitchell
Mountaineer

Postby mountain coward » Thu Nov 12, 2009 9:31 pm

Okay thanks both - I'll have a look for it when I want a shorter day...
mountain coward

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland