walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Chno Dearg and Stob Coire Sgriodain

Chno Dearg and Stob Coire Sgriodain

Postby bootsandpaddles » Tue Nov 10, 2009 9:47 pm

Route description: Chno Dearg and Stob Coire Sgriodain

Munros included on this walk: Chno Dearg, Stob Coire Sgriodain

Date walked: 07/11/2009

Distance: 13 km

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

I set off from Fersit at about 8.45 on a cold and frosty morning. As I passed the last farm I received a bit of a lecture from the farmer about dogs and the problems they cause - a bit much really as I don't even have a dog. :eh: I waded off through the bog and picked up a path alongside the burn which had some good waterfalls following all the recent rain.
nice waterfall.jpg
I by-passed the direct route up the nose of Sron Garbh-bheinne and gained the ridge a bit higher up. Loch Laggan was a bit lost in the mist
early morning.jpg
and but got a brief glimpse of Lochan Coire an Lochain
lochan coire an lochain.jpg
before I was engulfed in clouds. The sun was struggling to come through
sun over the summit.jpg
and after just over two hours I reached the summit cairn of Stob Coire Sgriodain.
summit stob coire sgriodain.jpg
I couldn't see very much as I set off towards Cnho Dearg. Although there was a thin covering of snow the path was reasonably clear, initially due south and then it descends south-east to a bealach. The cloud drifted in and out and I was soon at the large cairn at the next top, at 958m. Then down another dip and up to the next top before descending to another broad, boggy bealach. From there I took a direct line to the summit of Meall Garbh. The weather had cleared up considerably by this time and I could see the snow-covered slopes of Chno Dearg
chno dearg.jpg
and beyond it Lochan na h-Earba.
lochan na h-earba.jpg
After a quick lunch I gained the summit of Chno Dearg and then made a bee-line down to Fersit.
back to fersit.jpg
I must admit I was heartily sick of bog by the time I got back to the track. :( I didn't see anyone else all day.
bootsandpaddles

Munros:282   Corbetts:103
Donalds:7

Re: Chno Dearg and Stob Coire Sgriodain

Postby John Burgess » Wed Nov 11, 2009 8:25 am

bootsandpaddles wrote: As I passed the last farm I received a bit of a lecture from the farmer about dogs and the problems they cause - a bit much really as I don't even have a dog. :eh:

:lol: I had a similar experience at Fersit when out with a friend (who did have a dog I must admit - I don't). She headed off (with the dog) while I sorted a couple of things out at the car. Guess who got the lecture :(

All the best,

John
John Burgess

Munros:282   Corbetts:144
Fionas:78   Donalds:33
Sub 2000:9   Hewitts:110
Wainwrights:214   

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland