walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Beinn Bhrotain test for dodgy joints - human & canine!

Beinn Bhrotain test for dodgy joints - human & canine!

Postby dogplodder » Sat Jul 28, 2012 8:18 pm

Route description: Beinn Bhrotain and Monadh Mòr , from Glen Feshie

Munros included on this walk: Beinn Bhrotain, Monadh Mòr

Date walked: 21/07/2012

Distance: 29 km

Ascent: 1505m

5 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

There's been a bit of a population explosion in our family recently and over the past 2 months I've acquired 3 new grandsons - bringing the current tally to 7 grandsons and one granddaughter. So for the past 6 weeks I've been off the hills and off line, immersed in a world of broken nights, burping and nappies. :wink: And I have to say all the duff wet weather hasn't really bothered me and has probably made my temporary hill exile that much easier to cope with! :D

We decided on Monadh Mor and Beinn Bhrotain because MWIS was offering the best odds for the Cairngorms. Since climbing Beinn Eighe at the end of May my knees have been playing up - giving occasional pain walking around the house and particularly on the stairs. :o So I wasn't sure how they'd fare. I was also in two minds about bringing my dog Jack. Back in March he was limping after walks and I know labs are prone to arthritis in joints so assumed that's what it was even though he'll only be 8 next month. I stopped taking him out on the hills and started him on a course of bacon-flavoured glucosamine and chondroitin tablets. After a couple of months the limping stopped so I wondered if I should give him another chance. :?

He must have read my mind... and he decided he was coming. :wtf: He always sleeps outside our bedroom door and when I climbed Beinn Eighe 8 weeks ago I put him into the bedroom before I left so he wouldn't see me leaving with Tess (who sleeps downstairs). He saw me laying out my boots the night before and knew fine what was happening so that night for the first time (that we're aware of) he slept downstairs in the kitchen with Tess. The only logical explanation I can find for this change in his normal sleeping arrangements is that he reckoned if he was downstairs there was more chance I would take him.... Co-incidence - or clever canine? Whatever it was, it worked and I put both dogs in the car for the drive to Glen Feshie! :thumbup:

We parked at Achlean and were on our way along the road and up through the trees on the path leading to Carn Ban Mor. A lot of work has been done on the path since I was up it a year ago.

Kath on the improved path
DSC_0344-large.jpg

View over Glen Feshie to Badenoch and beyond
DSC_0346-large.jpg

The sun catching Meall Chuaich to the south west
DSC_0349-large.jpg

We reached the cairn where a left turn leads to Sgor Gaoith and continued on the grassy path heading over the Moine Mhor. There was a high layer of cloud preventing the sun getting through for most of the day but the views were superb.

View south
DSC_0351-large.jpg

So far so good. I had taken Ibuprofen when I got up and knees were not complaining. Jack was sensibly pacing himself and whenever there was a stop he took the chance of a rest.

Monadh Mor & Beinn Bhrotain behind Kath's head
DSC_0354-large.jpg

Braeriach and bright green moss
DSC_0355-large.jpg

Sgor Gaoith
DSC_0356-large.jpg

Soon we reached the vehicle track which leads at a good pace into the heart of the Moine Mhor and stops dead at the ravine containing the burn which later becomes the River Eidart.

Landrover track heading over Moine Mhor towards Angel's Peak and Cairn Toul
DSC_0357-large.jpg

Monadh Mor straight ahead just beyond the top Tom Dubh
DSC_0358-large.jpg

At the end of the landrover track there is a short drop down to the burn which is easily crossed on boulders then a climb up a muddy section and down to the bealach below Tom Dubh. Faint grassy vehicle tracks can be seen going up and can be followed pretty much to the summit.

Tom Dubh is said to be one of Britain's remotest tops and it was recommended we walk over it to reach Monadh Mor to avoid the boggy area south of Loch nan Cnapan. I was glad we climbed it for the views and the dogs were glad for the small lochans we found on it!

Loch nan Cnapan and Sgor Gaoith from Tom Dubh
DSC_0359-large.jpg

Jack cooling off in Tom Dubh lochan and Tess wanting stick thrown in - again!
DSC_0361-large.jpg

From the top of Tom Dubh we dropped east to the Allt Luinneag which is a surprisingly substantial burn for this altitude. At this point we stopped for first lunch.

Dogs excited about whatever edible morsel Kath has in her paper bag
DSC_0365-large.jpg

It was warm and I couldn't be bothered with negotiating wobbly boulders so off came the boots and lower half of trousers unzipped and I had an invigorating paddle across the burn. My feet felt so much better after it I decided to repeat the process on the return. For variety we returned a slightly different way - but we still had to cross this burn! :D After the burn it was a steady climb over granite boulders and grass on to the broad plateau ridge of Monadh Mor. Once on the top it was easy walking to the summit cairn.

Jack and Tess at Monadh Mor summit cairn - with Cairn Toul beyond
DSC_0367-large.jpg

Cairn Toul from Monadh Mor summit
DSC_0368-large.jpg

View north east from Monadh Mor
DSC_0370-large.jpg

Devil's Point and Carn a' Mhaim from Monadh Mor
DSC_0369-large.jpg

Beinn Bhrotain
DSC_0373-large.jpg

With my dodgy knees and Jack's dodgy hips I knew he and I might not be fit to go for the second Munro of the day - Beinn Bhrotain. In my mind the plan was for Kath to crack on to BB and I would lounge around on MM then start a slow descent until she caught up. I know the rules of the hill are not to split up and the vast remoteness of the Moine Mor is to be respected - but on a day like this with excellent weather and the landrover track clearly visible I felt the risks were minimal.

But Jack wasn't limping or even looking tired and my knees were behaving so there was no discussion about it and from the cairn on Monadh Mor we just kept walking.

Path along Monadh Mor to Beinn Bhrotain
DSC_0374-large.jpg

Devil's Point and Glen Geusachan
DSC_0375-large.jpg

We met a guy doing the two hills the opposite way to us and asked him about the descent to the bealach and the boulder field up to BB. He said the descent was steep on rounded stones that moved and he wouldn't want to do it "in heels" but we should be okay if we were careful - so I was expecting something slightly worse than it was (ie loose scree). It was just a steepish path on gravel.

Coire Cath nan Fionn from bealach between Monadh Mor and Beinn Bhrotain
DSC_0376-large.jpg

The path started up through the boulders but we lost it and ended up doing a good bit more boulder hopping than we needed to. We should have kept further to the left. In its favour the granite has good grip and the boulders tend to be flattish rather than angular, making for easier walking.

Beinn Bhrotain summit shelter - the dodgy joints made it! :D
DSC_0378-large.jpg

View east to Deeside and Lochnagar
DSC_0380-large.jpg

We met a few other folk who had either camped or cycled in from Linn of Dee and seemed surprised we had walked in from Glen Feshie. It must be the white hair makes us look more incapable than we are! :lol: On the descent we took a better line and avoided about half the boulders we crossed on the way up. We were soon back on Monadh Mor and had a second lunch sitting on a stone built triangular thing that looks like a shooting butt.

Monadh Mor doesn't rate very highly for hill satisfaction on this site but Kath and I loved it! Being able to walk along without watching where you put your feet and absorb the remoteness of this place and see the Cairngorm giants up close and from a different angle was magic. Cairn Toul was stunning with its distinctive sculpted shape making us feel we were on the film set for a western movie.

Cairn Toul close up from Monadh Mor
DSC_0382-large.jpg

We enjoyed Monadh Mor so much we decided not to cut down west to cross Tom Dubh but walk off to the north and risk the bogs around Loch nan Cnapan where we could see an orange tent pitched. We reckoned it was dry enough for this not to be too much of a problem and so it proved to be. So we stayed high in a northerly direction giving us a good view of secretive Loch nan Stuirteag before dropping down over grass and boulders to the burn we crossed earlier, but this time a bit higher up it. Once over the burn we made our way, with a little peat hag hopping but fairly easily, back to the yellow brick road we could see coming reassuringly ever closer. Of course there's still a fair distance to cover but once on the road it feels like you're home and dry!

Orange tent by the loch and the cliffs of Sgor Gaoith
DSC_0384-large.jpg

We felt it was worth returning this way to get this shot (taken from boggy area south of Loch nan Cnapan)
DSC_0385-large.jpg

And the dodgy joints? I was feeling my knees on the descent but it was a long walk and I would expect that. But neither Jack nor I were limping as we got back to the car so I was very pleased I'd taken the risk of bringing him.

There's life in the old boy yet! :clap:
Last edited by dogplodder on Fri Nov 09, 2012 1:17 pm, edited 2 times in total.
dogplodder

Munros:242   Corbetts:74
Fionas:26   
Sub 2000:32   Hewitts:4
Wainwrights:9   Islands:24

Re: Beinn Bhrotain test for dodgy joints - human & canine!

Postby gammy leg walker » Sat Jul 28, 2012 8:35 pm

Thanks for the TR,did this one last year in wall to wall clag :lol: nice to see what I missed.
gammy leg walker
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:7
Fionas:4   Donalds:3+0
Sub 2000:2   
Islands:7
Walk wish-list

Postby mrssanta » Sat Jul 28, 2012 9:07 pm

that's great. we enjoyed Monadh Mor very much too, lovely broad plateau with easy walking and great views all round.
mrssanta
Mountain Walker

Munros:281   Corbetts:12
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:12   Hewitts:43
Wainwrights:41   Islands:13

Postby kath098 » Sat Jul 28, 2012 10:22 pm

The views of the Cairngorm big boy hills were spectacular, as your photos show. I can't understand the low user rating at all. A great day out - thanks DogPlodder! :clap:
kath098
Mountaineer

Munros:36   Corbetts:4

Postby Bod » Sun Jul 29, 2012 3:01 pm

Lovely relaxed summit shot there, nestled into the cairn with the dogs :D
I hope Jack's joints bear up and he can enjoy many more wonderful walks with you. I am very careful too now with what i expect Ritchie to do as he is eight next month, and I don't want to cause him any harm. They just love getting out there, don't they :D :D :D

PS...congratualations with all the grandchildren :wink:
Bod
Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:67
Fionas:34   Donalds:21
Sub 2000:44   Hewitts:29
Wainwrights:61   Islands:25

Postby Huff_n_Puff » Sun Jul 29, 2012 5:46 pm

Great to see you back - like you I love the views of Cairn Toul from the west. Glad the knees, both human and canine, held out
I've been wondering about doing these hills from Glen Feshie rather than Linn of Dee since its a shorter drive from the north so your report is very helpful - now can someone just do something about the weather please :wink: :wink:
Huff_n_Puff
Walker

Munros:278   Corbetts:20
Fionas:10   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:20   Hewitts:5
Wainwrights:1   Islands:19

Postby jonny616 » Sun Jul 29, 2012 5:53 pm

Enjoyed reading this as much as i did walking these hills. Lovely area. Nice picnic spot to take the grand children in a few years time
jonny616
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:14
Fionas:2   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:17
Wainwrights:8   Islands:8

Postby dogplodder » Sun Jul 29, 2012 8:19 pm

gammy leg walker wrote:Thanks for the TR,did this one last year in wall to wall clag :lol: nice to see what I missed.

Too bad about the wall to wall clag - but I read your report and you had some great pics from further down! Can't win em all. :wink:
dogplodder

Postby dogplodder » Sun Jul 29, 2012 8:26 pm

mrssanta wrote:that's great. we enjoyed Monadh Mor very much too, lovely broad plateau with easy walking and great views all round.

Yes, I enjoyed your report on that. Made entertaining reading with near miss domestics brewing....! :lol: It's probably just as well I don't very often climb hills with my better half or things might sometimes become more tense than they need to! :lol:
dogplodder

Postby dogplodder » Sun Jul 29, 2012 8:29 pm

kath098 wrote:The views of the Cairngorm big boy hills were spectacular, as your photos show. I can't understand the low user rating at all. A great day out - thanks DogPlodder! :clap:

Forgot to ask - did you find your camera or is it still somewhere up there? :(
dogplodder

Postby soulminer » Sun Jul 29, 2012 9:25 pm

Glad you are back on site, my wife had other plans for me in my second week in July :wink: :)
I would admit they are not my favourite hills in the area, probably because I did them in a Wintery January- BBBRRRRRRR!! Still enjoyed the walk though. Glad humans and canines had no ill effects from a fairly long trek :clap: Once again, happy to see you back having a break from all that Grand-parenting :crazy: :lol:
Cheers.
soulminer

Postby dogplodder » Sun Jul 29, 2012 9:39 pm

Bod wrote:Lovely relaxed summit shot there, nestled into the cairn with the dogs :D
I hope Jack's joints bear up and he can enjoy many more wonderful walks with you. I am very careful too now with what i expect Ritchie to do as he is eight next month, and I don't want to cause him any harm. They just love getting out there, don't they :D :D :D

PS...congratualations with all the grandchildren :wink:

Thanks Bod. Ritchie is the same age as Jack then! He's a rescue so we don't have exact date but we know he'll be 8 in August. :D
dogplodder

Postby dogplodder » Sun Jul 29, 2012 10:27 pm

Huff_n_Puff wrote: I've been wondering about doing these hills from Glen Feshie rather than Linn of Dee since its a shorter drive from the north so your report is very helpful - now can someone just do something about the weather please :wink: :wink:

It's the price of fuel that decided it for us! :shock:
dogplodder

Postby dogplodder » Mon Jul 30, 2012 11:06 am

jonny616 wrote: Nice picnic spot to take the grand children in a few years time

What state will my knees be in by the time they're up for it? :shock:

Nice thought but somehow I doubt it! :lol:
dogplodder

Postby dogplodder » Mon Jul 30, 2012 11:14 am

soulminer wrote:Glad you are back on site, my wife had other plans for me in my second week in July :wink: :)
I would admit they are not my favourite hills in the area, probably because I did them in a Wintery January- BBBRRRRRRR!! Still enjoyed the walk though. Glad humans and canines had no ill effects from a fairly long trek :clap: Once again, happy to see you back having a break from all that Grand-parenting :crazy: :lol:
Cheers.

Hope you had a good second week in July even though you were off the hills! :wink: Wouldn't have fancied these in January though views would be good if you got a clear day for it. I've a couple more potential hill days at the end of this week then it's back to grandparenting when 9 week old Ben and his family arrive to watch the Olympics for a week! :D
dogplodder

5 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Next

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland