walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Ben Nevis for Teenage Cancer Trust

Ben Nevis for Teenage Cancer Trust

Postby coachmacca » Sun Jul 29, 2012 1:48 pm

Route description: Ben Nevis by the Mountain Path

Munros included on this walk: Ben Nevis

Date walked: 28/07/2012

Time taken: 8 hours

Distance: 16 km

Ascent: 1400m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Well the day of the charity climb , and our 4th clomb only since we started, of Ben Nevis in support of the Teenage Cancer Trust.

IMG_2846.JPG
On the approach drive through Glencoe

Weather was as expected was wet, cloudy, misty but also as hoped some moments of sun :)

IMG_2850.JPG
The lower path on ascent

While its a track and as everyone knows thousands have done it the going was tougher than I had imagined. While I totally understand the need and want for developed stone tracks to protect the wilderness and provide guidance they KILL my knee...

IMG_2870.JPG
Looking back on the final leg of the ascent

Anyway great hike, past lost of people of all ages, nationalities and experience, made a few buddies along the way as well, and we all motivated one another.

Once on the ascent proper it was like a different world, hard scree, grey barren rock, and thick engulfing mist - fantastically atmospheric. The cloud broke on occasions to treat us to unveiling views of beauty!

We made the summit, energy came bounding back, had a sandwich , chatted and took pictures then began the descent.

473759_10151121576631944_1718486217_o.jpg
Well worth the hard work! we raised £2k

IMG_2890.JPG
The misty summit

Within and hour my knee started to twinge, by the last couple of miles it was torture but we made it dead on 8 hours :)

The drive back even treated us to an unusual but lovely ful spectrum view of a partial rainbow rising out the hills at Glencoe.

On to the lake district on Tuesday for some fell walking to recover.
coachmacca
Mountaineer

Munros:38   Corbetts:6
Grahams:4   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:2   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:3   

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Walkhighlands community forum is now advert free

We need help to keep the site online.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and the online community by setting up a monthly donation by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland