walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Woo yea - Bhuidhe for the century

Woo yea - Bhuidhe for the century

Postby fipriestley » Sun Jul 29, 2012 10:26 pm

Route description: Beinn Bhuidhe, via Glen Fyne

Munros included on this walk: Beinn Bhuidhe

Date walked: 28/07/2012

Time taken: 7 hours

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

I had been calling this hill 'Ben Booey' but listening to the pronunciation on here it's more like Vooyea - hence the title :lol: :lol: Seemed fitting to make this return visit for my 100th munro since it was the only one I'd started but not made it to the summit. The last visit was in the winter, making this trip a different experience and it also meant I got more practice with a long road/track walk (less than a week until I walk 45 miles from Forres to Cairngorm!).

Started dry and fairly bright but the heavy rain soon came on, although only for a few minutes. That became the pattern for the day, doing the hokey cokey with the waterproofs :roll: :lol: Followed the path up the gorge, through the bogs, up the steep path around the rocks (missed this in the snow last time, think we took a wider berth to the right to get over the rocks), then along the path to the summit. Also missed that path last time round as we were in thick fog and snow so had walked along the top of all the bumps - nice to find a path running along the side of these today :D

We thought about taking an alternative, more direct route down but, with visibility coming and going along with very wet ground (which made for lovely squelchy noises :lol: ), came back the same way by the gorge taking extra care around the rocks which were very slippery by now.
SDC15587.JPG
bright start for the long walk in
SDC15619.JPG
approaching rock scramble nearing top of gorge
SDC15594.JPG
view back down, clouds are coming in!
SDC15597.JPG
path missed in the snow, left of the rocks
SDC15601.JPG
last stretch, looking back - last time we came over the top of all those bumps :D
SDC15604.JPG
100th Munro summit! a wee bit drookit :) :D
SDC15609.JPG
heading back, peeking under clouds to reservoir
SDC15622.JPG
back on the track, look behind and of course it's clear up there now! :D
SDC15623.JPG
lots of water coming off the hills, but rain stayed off for the rest of the walk out :)

When I asked workmates if I could join them for a hillwalk last Sept, thinking I was fairly fit then realising hill fitness is just not the same thing :shock: , little did I realise just how obsessive this would become! It's still not about the numbers for me, but more about the challenges, adventures and getting out every week to keep up the fitness... although I can't deny feeling very proud (and fortunate!); 100 in 10 months, 5 of them twice, plus 10 corbetts. Massive thanks to all my walking friends :thumbup: :-D
fipriestley
Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:77
Fionas:7   Donalds:4
Sub 2000:5   Hewitts:7
Wainwrights:3   

Re: Woo yea - Bhuidhe for the century

Postby brpro26 » Sun Jul 29, 2012 11:04 pm

Well done on achieving the century in such a short time. Bring on Torridon...!!! :clap:
brpro26

Munros:220   Corbetts:7
Fionas:4   Donalds:3
Sub 2000:9   

Postby Lenore » Sun Jul 29, 2012 11:05 pm

Congrats on 100!!! :clap: :clap: :clap:
Lenore
Mountaineer

Munros:13   Corbetts:4
Fionas:1   
Sub 2000:1   

Postby fipriestley » Sun Jul 29, 2012 11:34 pm

brpro26 wrote:Well done on achieving the century in such a short time. Bring on Torridon...!!! :clap:
Thanks Brian :) Not sure I'll be fit for a hill just after skipping a sleep in favour of walking all night :lol: :lol: Hope you enjoy though :D

Thanks Lenore - hope the sun shines for you this week :thumbup:
fipriestley
Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:77
Fionas:7   Donalds:4
Sub 2000:5   Hewitts:7
Wainwrights:3   

Postby basscadet » Sun Jul 29, 2012 11:49 pm

Well done on reaching the ton :lol: Thats really impressive in such a short space of time. :clap:
basscadet
Munro compleatist

Munros:84   Corbetts:52
Fionas:18   Donalds:8
Sub 2000:34   Hewitts:13
Wainwrights:17   Islands:21

Postby scoob999 » Mon Jul 30, 2012 6:55 am

Well done on getting to 100 :clap: :clap: :clap:
I thought i was doing well getting 120 in a year, looks like you might match that ! :lol:
Good luck with your walk "no munros you could get on the way past"? :lol:
scoob999
Munro compleatist

Munros:143   Corbetts:222
Fionas:151   Donalds:89+52
Sub 2000:145   Hewitts:27
Wainwrights:7   Islands:22

Postby Bod » Mon Jul 30, 2012 8:32 am

Yes, great stuff.....100 has a great sensation attached with it, possibly not to be matched until you' ve climbed them all!!! Well done :) :) :)
Bod
Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:67
Fionas:34   Donalds:21
Sub 2000:44   Hewitts:29
Wainwrights:61   Islands:25

Postby jmarkb » Mon Jul 30, 2012 11:05 am

fipriestley wrote:I had been calling this hill 'Ben Booey' but listening to the pronunciation on here it's more like Vooyea - hence the title

Nice report! Pictures of Beinn Bhuidhe and Glen Fyne always bring back happy memories for me: my parents rented a cottage next to Glenfyne Lodge for quite a few years, and we spent lots of weekends and holidays there when I was growing up. The locals certainly pronounced it 'Ben Booey': I suppose being on the edge of the Gaelic speaking world a lot of the placenames have become a bit anglicised.

fipriestley wrote:We thought about taking an alternative, more direct route down but, with visibility coming and going along with very wet ground (which made for lovely squelchy noises :lol: ), came back the same way

Probably wise: Beinn Chas is pretty boggy, and the navigation could be tricky in the mist!
On a dry day, though, this does give a good alternative way up: it is possible to follow the forestry track up
the Merk Burn to start, head over Beinn Chas and make a direct assault on the south face of Beinn Bhuidhe: this looks unlikely but there is a series of connecting grassy ramps that avoid all the craggy bits (also fun in good snow condiitons).

Another nice route is to continue an extra 1/2 km past Inverchorachan, and follow the Allt a' Mhuillin up into Coire Dubh. The back of the corrie is pretty steep, so exit left up an obvious shelf and then follow the ridge up to the 901m top, and then join the main path to the summit. You can also descend this way to make a circuit with the "normal" route.
jmarkb
Mountaineer

Munros:246   Corbetts:105
Fionas:91   Donalds:32
Sub 2000:46   

Postby jmarkb » Mon Jul 30, 2012 11:16 am

fipriestley wrote:100 in 10 months

That's some going: I'm impressed :clap: !
jmarkb
Mountaineer

Munros:246   Corbetts:105
Fionas:91   Donalds:32
Sub 2000:46   

Postby ronofcam » Mon Jul 30, 2012 12:25 pm

jmarkb wrote:
fipriestley wrote:I had been calling this hill 'Ben Booey' but listening to the pronunciation on here it's more like Vooyea - hence the title

The locals certainly pronounced it 'Ben Booey': I suppose being on the edge of the Gaelic speaking world a lot of the placenames have become a bit anglicised.

Though the gaelic pronunciations on here are useful, I'd be very wary of relying on them as gospel. I've no idea what the local pronunciation of Beinn Bhuidhe is, but if jmarkb has knowledge of what the locals called it from holidaying in the area when growing up, then I'd be inclined to go with it.

The chappie who does the place name pronunciations on here is from Skye, so is unlikely to have a knowledge of every hill and the local way in which it is pronounced. Another example of this is Beinn a' Bhuird, which on here is pronounced behyn a voorstch. In fact, the locals in Deeside pronounce it something like ben-a-board.

A cautionary tale!
ronofcam
Mountain Walker

Munros:174   

Postby pigeon » Mon Jul 30, 2012 4:55 pm

Well done Fi,done this recently in similar conditions,if i do it again i'll be purchasing a bike :lol: Great achievement doing the 100 and the rest in such a short time :thumbup: :clap:
pigeon
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:130
Fionas:41   Donalds:40+7
Sub 2000:23   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:1   Islands:2
Walk wish-list

Postby Collaciotach » Mon Jul 30, 2012 6:26 pm

ronofcam wrote:
jmarkb wrote:

The locals certainly pronounced it 'Ben Booey': I suppose being on the edge of the Gaelic speaking world a lot of the placenames have become a bit anglicised.

Though the gaelic pronunciations on here are useful, I'd be very wary of relying on them as gospel. I've no idea what the local pronunciation of Beinn Bhuidhe is, but if jmarkb has knowledge of what the locals called it from holidaying in the area when growing up, then I'd be inclined to go with it.

The chappie who does the place name pronunciations on here is from Skye, so is unlikely to have a knowledge of every hill and the local way in which it is pronounced. Another example of this is Beinn a' Bhuird, which on here is pronounced behyn a voorstch. In fact, the locals in Deeside pronounce it something like ben-a-board.

A cautionary tale!

BH in Ghaidhlig is aspirated to a " V "so Beinn Vooee is correct irrespective of the dialect ...which in this case is Earra Ghaidheil same for Beinn a Bhuird :wink: :wink:
Collaciotach
Mountain Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:219
Fionas:47   Donalds:10
Sub 2000:27   
Islands:30

Postby ronofcam » Mon Jul 30, 2012 6:55 pm

Collaciotach wrote:BH in Ghaidhlig is aspirated to a " V "so Beinn Vooee is correct irrespective of the dialect ...which in this case is Earra Ghaidheil same for Beinn a Bhuird :wink: :wink:

I'm in no way an authority on Gaelic place names, Collaciotach! However, in the case of Beinn a' Bhuird the local pronunciation is as I stated above. It could be that Deeside Gaelic (now extinct) has different subtleties that differ from other forms. Despite what OS maps show, the locals do not aspirate the initial 'B' to a 'V'. There is obviously a reason for this, which I do not claim to know.

I recommend that you read this thread for an explanation by the authority on the place names of upper Deeside. :D
ronofcam
Mountain Walker

Munros:174   

Postby brpro26 » Mon Jul 30, 2012 9:44 pm

Now it's getting technical.....what does Woo Yea translate into in Gaelic to.
......."Oujacansir thon wisguid weeldun" :crazy:
brpro26

Munros:220   Corbetts:7
Fionas:4   Donalds:3
Sub 2000:9   

Postby Collaciotach » Mon Jul 30, 2012 9:52 pm

ronofcam wrote:
Collaciotach wrote:BH in Ghaidhlig is aspirated to a " V "so Beinn Vooee is correct irrespective of the dialect ...which in this case is Earra Ghaidheil same for Beinn a Bhuird :wink: :wink:

I'm in no way an authority on Gaelic place names, Collaciotach! However, in the case of Beinn a' Bhuird the local pronunciation is as I stated above. It could be that Deeside Gaelic (now extinct) has different subtleties that differ from other forms. Despite what OS maps show, the locals do not aspirate the initial 'B' to a 'V'. There is obviously a reason for this, which I do not claim to know.

I recommend that you read this thread for an explanation by the authority on the place names of upper Deeside. :D

Me neither :D ach tha mi a smaoineadh ..... the loss of the aspirative would perhaps be down to historical language decay and the present day pronunciation being that the locals are not Gaelic speakers :wink:
Collaciotach
Mountain Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:219
Fionas:47   Donalds:10
Sub 2000:27   
Islands:30

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Next

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland