walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Stob Coire Easain and Stob a'Choire Mheadhoin

Stob Coire Easain and Stob a'Choire Mheadhoin

Postby bootsandpaddles » Wed Nov 11, 2009 9:15 am

Route description: Stob Coire Easain and Stob a'Choire Mheadhoin

Munros included on this walk: Stob a' Choire Mheadhoin, Stob Coire Easain

Date walked: 08/11/2009

Time taken: 6 hours

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Another clear, frosty, very cold morning as I retraced my route of the previous day to Fersit, stopping briefly at An Dubh Lochan for a quick photo.
An Dubh Lochan.jpg
Although the books recommend starting the walk from the lochan I decided against it because the first part of the ridge looked rather long and uninteresting. I walked along beside the River Treig for a short way and just before reaching the dam I turned right up a broad track leading steeply towards the hillside. This soon levelled off and the rocky Meall Cian Dearg came into view.
meall cian dearg.jpg
There is a very tall trig point to aim for on the ridge and a narrow (and need I say very boggy) path takes you up to it. From the trig point another muddy and boggy path takes you to the foot of Meall Cian Dearg. A short, easy scramble leads to a plateau and then on up a gradual incline to a steeper section which took me above the snow line. Sticking to the edge, there are good views across Loch Treig to Stob Coire Sgriodain. The two Munros can be seen ahead
looking towards the two Munros.jpg
and I really enjoyed walking through the snow.
above the snow line.jpg
The next steeper bit leads to the cairn at the summit of Stob a'Choire Mheadhoin. From here there are views of the Grey Corries
grey corries.jpg
and also of the drop to the bealach and the steep ascent to Stob Coire Easain.
stob coire easain.jpg
On my way I had a look at the recommended return route from the bealach via Coire Laire but decided against it. The intial section was extremely steep and I didn't fancy another slog through the bog beside the Allt Laire. The summit of Stob Coire Easain is a great vantage point with snow covered mountains all around. Then I retraced my steps to the bealach and back up to Stob a'Choire Mheadhoin again for a spot of lunch. From there it was downhill all the way back to Fersit. Back at the trig point I bumped into a guy that I had met along the ridge. He had taken the return route via the corrie but had picked up a path that contoured round the hill rather than descending to the burn. This seems like a good alternative for people who have left their cars at Fersit.
bootsandpaddles

Munros:282   Corbetts:103
Donalds:7

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland