walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Sgurr a'Mhadaidh and Sgurr a' Ghreadaidh via An Dorus

Sgurr a'Mhadaidh and Sgurr a' Ghreadaidh via An Dorus

by Bod » Mon Jul 30, 2012 8:31 pm

Route description: Sgùrr a Mhadaidh and Sgùrr a Ghreadaidh

Munros included on this walk: Sgùrr a' Ghreadaidh, Sgùrr a' Mhadaidh

Date walked: 07/07/2012

Time taken: 7.25 hours

Distance: 9.5 km

Ascent: 1023m

Click to mark this as a great report. Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Re: Sgurr a'Mhadaidh and Sgurr a' Ghreadaidh via An Dorus

Postby malky_c » Tue Aug 07, 2012 8:38 am

Interesting stuff - I'm another person who didn't know you could descend the Eag Dubh. Some exciting looking shots there despite the cloud :)

Interesting how the Cuillin get into your mind and start messing with it - my first trip over Sgurr a Mhadaidh and Sgurr a Ghreadaidh (coming from the north over the other Mhadaidh summits) seemed quite easy. We even topped off the day by climbing the Inn Pinn 8) . The last visit - going in the supposedly easier direction - scared the hell out of me (mainly the lower summits of Mhadaidh), and we had to get the rope out a number of times. Perfect weather conditions on both occasions too, so that had nothing to do with it :?
malky_c

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:219   Donalds:80+37
Sub 2000:315   Hewitts:281
Wainwrights:140   Islands:39

Postby Rudolph » Tue Aug 07, 2012 10:07 am

That's a great report Bod and shows what can be done with common sense and a feel for the hills.

malky_c wrote: Interesting how the Cuillin get into your mind and start messing with it

Exactly! Now 3 months since we were there and I was beginning to think it wasn't as scary as i remember and I'd easy manage to go back. Then this report comes in and reminds me just what it was like on the tops. I'll wake up in a cold sweat again tonight...

That said, the walks into the corries are fabulous and hold no fears at all - even for me!
Rudolph
Mountain Walker

Munros:280   
Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:1   

Postby Bod » Tue Aug 07, 2012 10:48 pm

malky_c wrote:Interesting stuff - I'm another person who didn't know you could descend the Eag Dubh. Some exciting looking shots there despite the cloud :)

Interesting how the Cuillin get into your mind and start messing with it - my first trip over Sgurr a Mhadaidh and Sgurr a Ghreadaidh (coming from the north over the other Mhadaidh summits) seemed quite easy. We even topped off the day by climbing the Inn Pinn 8) . The last visit - going in the supposedly easier direction - scared the hell out of me (mainly the lower summits of Mhadaidh), and we had to get the rope out a number of times. Perfect weather conditions on both occasions too, so that had nothing to do with it :?

Thanks malky, it truly is a facinating and thought provoking place! Very interested to hear of your experiences there......now that I have explored many key obvious parts of the Cuillin, it's going to be fun and challenging linking them together more (the lower summits of Mhadaidh might figure there soon, also considering the Dubh slabs! :shock: :D :D ).
Many years of thrills and adventure to look forward too :D
Bod
Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:67
Fionas:34   Donalds:21
Sub 2000:44   Hewitts:29
Wainwrights:61   Islands:25

Postby BEAR1873 » Sun Sep 23, 2012 2:56 pm

Great report and pics. Great site and interesting to see others views on routes etc. Only really started climbing these magnificent hills this year. Guess I am now realising how fortunate I am to live on Skye, and to venture into the hills whenever the weather is half decent. Think I will be stuck on 11 Munros forever, unless I decide to go further afield- ie Blabheinn.
BEAR1873
Munro compleatist

Munros:11   Corbetts:3
Fionas:2   
Sub 2000:2   

12 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Previous

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland