walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Beinn a'Chaorain

Beinn a'Chaorain

Postby bootsandpaddles » Wed Nov 11, 2009 9:11 pm

Route description: Beinn a' Chaorainn & Beinn Teallach

Munros included on this walk: Beinn a' Chaorainn (Glen Spean), Beinn Teallach

Date walked: 09/11/2009

Time taken: 5 hours

Distance: 16 km

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

For my last day at Roy Bridge I decided to tackle these two hills. From reading the guidebooks I expected to spend most of the morning floundering about in the forestry trying to get on to the open hillside. :? In the event it was quite easy. :D From the gate just east of Roughburn you just walk up the track through the trees. It twists and turns a bit but so long as you stick to the main track and ignore anything else on the left you eventually reach a gate and a stile. From there you turn uphill along a very muddy path between the trees to reach a stile. There is a path leading away from the stile but I lost it after a while (I'm not very good at sticking to paths) but anyway the route is clear enough - straight up the hillside.
view from the stile.jpg
It is fairly steep and quite rough but I stopped to admire the view behind me quite a lot.
looking towards Ben Nevis.jpg
loch treig and surrounding hills.jpg
About 2 hours after leaving the car I arrived at the south top.
the first top.jpg
Interestingly the books give the central top precedence but according to my OS map the south top is 1050m and the central one is 1049. Let's not quibble over the odd metre though. It took me a little while to realise that the round, snow covered hill to the north -east was Creag Meagaidh because I had previously approached it via Coire Ardair.
creag meagaidh.jpg
From the south top it was a very pleasant snowy walk across virtually flat ground to the central top with the steep rocks falling away to the right.
main summit.jpg
Then, all of a sudden, as I skirted round the corrie to the north top the wind became really strong. I dropped down to the north-west over slippery, snow covered rocks and then heather and grassy slopes to reach the cairn at the bealach between Beinn a'Chaorainn and Beinn Teallach.
beinn teallach.jpg
At this point I decided to wimp out: I really hate walking in strong winds. :( So I picked up the path running down beside the Allt a'Chaorainn and made my way back to the road. About half way down I discovered why it was so incredibly muddy and churned up when a vehicle with eight wheels came lurching up the track. Bearing in mind the difficulty which might be encountered in trying to cross the burn near the wood at the bottom I crossed to the east side quite high up and stayed there although it was very boggy.
nice pic.jpg
Eventually the ground becomes quite flat and a track runs across to a stile over a fence - although the gate was open so I used that instead. A track then leads into the trees and this joins the main track after about 10 minutes. Turn right there and you are back at the car.
bootsandpaddles

Munros:282   Corbetts:103
Donalds:7

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland