walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Creise 2012

Creise 2012

Postby JonAksel » Tue Jul 31, 2012 8:50 pm

Munros included on this walk: Creise, Meall a' Bhùiridh

Date walked: 29/07/2012

Time taken: 6 hours

Distance: 10.5 km

Ascent: 1001m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

This is the route walked.

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

On Saturday I was just strolling around in Glasgow. All of a sudden I found myself walking out of a shop with a brand new aircooled backpack designed for daytrips in hand. From now on I will have to limit myself to 26 litres of equipment on a daytrip, and I am happy with that. I can still take my thermos and lunchpack. The backpack has a decent distance between the back and the pack. So in case of any sign of sweat there, it will instantly be aired out. I feel like I will go like a mountain hare up the hills after this day. It has to be tested.
The weather on Sunday wasn't trustable so I had a plan A and B about where to go. Plan B was the two Munros east of Ben Challum. I have read that there is so boggy anyway so..... But when I arrived Crianlarich I decided to go for plan A:
It was temptating to take the chairlift up to gain some height. I saw some mountain bikers do it, but I refrained from it and sticked to the plan to go an anticlockwise round.
I could enjoy a mile of sunny weather through the bogs.
When I came to the first corner into Glen Etive the rain started.
That makes the waterfalls to be nice.
Meall a'Bhuiridh in silver light.
My little scramble challenge of the day. Just designed for static climbers like me. I loved it.
Tough life on the hills.
Some features of Stob a' Ghlais Choire.
I was happy to bag that Munro top.
This is the view over Glen Etive to another biggie. Stob Dearg.
Fog on Creise.
How small that wee Corbett looks in this environment. I saved Beinn Mhic Chasgaig till later for the Corbett round.
View from the bealach W of Meall a'Bhuiridh:
Two snow patches remain at Clach Leathad.
The same patches seen from the eastern ridge of Meall a' Bhuiridh.
Some more Munros to be climbed up North.
Over the hill.
I was amazed by the views from the slalom track.
I sat down and counted the Mamores.
Schiehallion. (A little zoomed).
Some Munro hills in the South.
I wish skiing was allowed. Could be down in a minute..., if it was winter..., if snow...
A wee work-party and Scotland is ready to host the Winter Olympics.
Health and safety allways come first.
Stob Dearg again.
Creise without fog.
The last part is steep. But my bag is easy. And the knees are good. Bag? I feel with my hand on the back to confirm that it's still there.
The staff at the cafe down there is very friendly, and I was served a baked potato with some beans.
Delicious after a double Munro trip.
You can enjoy the Munro from the window too. Just take a good book.
Or you can stay in a drum:
Wooden skis on the wall.
Backview to Glen Etive. It's raining again.
The first time I saw these hills, they had snow patterns on the sides and I was going to climb Ben Nevis.
I found this old picture from 2011, with very different weather conditions.
On the way home I spotted three West Highland Wayers in the hillsides north of Tyndrum.
Heavy bags? I have been there. Stay strong.
Last edited by JonAksel on Sun Aug 05, 2012 10:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JonAksel
Munro compleatist

Munros:115   Corbetts:4
Fionas:2   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:4   Hewitts:8
Wainwrights:8   

Re: Creise 2012

Postby dogplodder » Wed Aug 01, 2012 8:59 am

Hoping to do these two this year so this is a useful report for me. You have some great photos.

Glad you're enjoying the new bag. My airflow one transformed my walking more than anything. When I think of the years I suffered with a constantly wet back! :( :lol:
dogplodder

Munros:242   Corbetts:74
Fionas:25   
Sub 2000:32   Hewitts:4
Wainwrights:9   Islands:24

Postby Fudgie » Wed Aug 01, 2012 10:52 am

Thats a good read and you're the first person I've noticed go the opposite way from the route described on here. I'll be keeping that one in mind so thanks for posting :thumbup:
Fudgie
Mountain Walker

Munros:100   Corbetts:20
Fionas:3   Donalds:7

Postby basscadet » Wed Aug 01, 2012 11:31 am

Lovely waterfall shots :clap:
Still have to do these, and your report has moved them up the hit list somewhat :D
basscadet
Munro compleatist

Munros:84   Corbetts:52
Fionas:18   Donalds:8
Sub 2000:34   Hewitts:13
Wainwrights:17   Islands:21

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland