walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

2 Days, 5 Munro's with a dollop of "cheesecake thrown in

2 Days, 5 Munro's with a dollop of "cheesecake thrown in

Postby trekker53 » Wed Aug 01, 2012 6:30 pm

Date walked: 30/07/2012

Time taken: 19 hours

Distance: 48.6 km

Ascent: 3754m

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

Getting a few days off work in middle of summer should be enjoyable. However when I was was free to hike last weekend the weather had torrential rain in mind. I waited until the Sunday afternoon when the MWIS forecast had an improving picture for Monday.
I set off south to Craig, just north of Achnashellach. 3 hours later I was walking the good track to Glenuaig Lodge, stopping at the Pollan Buide where I set up camp just yards away from the wire crossing the Alt a' Chonais. The rain was light but once the tent was up it got heavier so was glad to be inside. Unpacked my stuff only to realise I left my radio and mp3 player behind. Oh dear, "Silence is golden" so the Tremeloes sung many years ago. We'll see.
Tried to sleep early but the Alt was running fast with all the recent rainfall and the rain pitter pattering on the tent made sleeping difficult even with earplugs.
Next morning peeping my head out of the tent only to see dark low cloud. A bit disapointing but maybe will brighten later. I made my porridge and pondering what hills I'll do when I heard voices. Looking out 2 couples were at the crossing point discussing their options. I went out and said hello. The water was deepish at one side so I mentioned it would be boots off or wet feet. They agreed.
SAM_0386.JPG
Crossing the Alt
They told me they were going to do Bidein a' Choire Sheasgaich ( known to some as cheesecake ) and Lurg Mhor. I said my goodbyes and retreated back to tent to finish off my nearly cold porridge.
Then the idea came to do these hills if I can catch up with the group. Hurriedly I got my gear together, crossed the Alt with boots hanging around the neck. Quickly dried feet and set off to catch up. It was lightly raining, with the track up to the Bealach Bhearnais very wet. I could see them not to far away so continued walking fast. I caught up with them on the ascent of the Corbet Beinn Tharsuinn.
The cloud was still low so there was no views to be had. The group turned out to be a fellow WH member Peter Forbes and his brother and wives. They were happy for me to join them, talking as we ascended the Corbet.
SAM_0387.JPG
Beinn Tharsuinn in the clag
At the summit in the clag, photos taken, a bearing was taken to get us to the lochan. As we descended, the clag slowly retreated giving us some views at last. Dropped down west from lochan to the Bealach and south down the grassy slopes.
SAM_0388.JPG
Descending to the lochan
SAM_0389.JPG
Weather improving

Then the north rock face of Bidein a' Choire Sheasgaich came into view. It looks impregnable and imposing. How do you get up that? Luckily I read Monty's account recently and there is a path up there.
SAM_0391.JPG
The "impregnable north face"
We headed to the long stone dyke. At the righthand side of the dyke a path is clearly defined. Going upwards was straightforward then a short vertical scramble got us past a difficulty. Further up we came to a terrace where you turn left, there is some small cairns, took us to larger marker cairn. Here we ascended a gully to eventually reach a small lochan on a plateau.
SAM_0393.JPG
Final push to the summit
Ahead was the final push to the summit. 30 minutes later we were there. That was 4 hours for me to get a Munro bagged, my longest yet. I was disappointed to see the small summit cairn but happy to have made it.
SAM_0395.JPG
Peter, Colin and wives on Summit

Another 30 minutes we were at the Bealach where we could see our descent point. There is remains of a stone wall with a gap inbetween. A path leads down east to eventually take us to the Bealach Bhearnais.
SAM_0397.JPG
Lurg Mhor

Lurg Mhor was waiting for us so it was onwards and upwards to it's large summit cairn.
SAM_0403.JPG
Happiness
The sky had brightened up considerably so great views all around beckoned. However there was still a long walk back to consider.
SAM_0404.JPG
Descending Lurg Mhor to the Bealach

Back to the Bealach then dropping east down the path which eventually peters out.
SAM_0405.JPG
The descent point.
We made a bee line to the lower slopes of the South east ridge of Beinn Tharsuinn. Once around we kept high as we traversed north across the grassy slopes negotiating the various ravines.
SAM_0406.JPG
One of the ravines
It seemed to take forever to get to the Bealach Bhearnais.
SAM_0407.JPG
The long walk back

Once there it was an easy decent on familiar ground back to the Pollan Buide and that wire crossing. I thanked them all for a good day as I wouldn't have done it alone. It felt good to get those two out of the way.

After a good nights sleep, I woke up early to discover a bright sky. Yes today was going to be good. It was back up to the Bealach Bhearnais to ascend the west side of Sgurr Choinnich. The path meandered it's way upwards through the various obstacles. Getting higher the views got more impressive. By 08:30hrs I was at the summit feeling very happy.
SAM_0409.JPG
Looking down on the Pollan Buidhe
One down two more to go. Some clouds came and went but it was dry and that was fine. Down the steepish zig zag path to the Bealach noticing the fine peak of Bidean an Eoin Deirg. To me it looked higher than Sgurr Chaorachain but the map says not.
SAM_0410.JPG
Sgurr a'Chaorachain

By 09:15hrs the second Munro has been bagged. The summit was flat with extensive views and had a large circular stone windbreak. A great spot to relax in and enjoy a bite to eat.
SAM_0416.JPG
Lurg Mhor & Bidein a' Choire Sheasgaich
SAM_0417.JPG
A fine view of the Torridon range

Now the next objective Maoile Lunndaigh was 5km's away as the crow flies but a fair bit of effort will be required to get there. Well there's no time like the present so I set off down the north then eastwards grassy and stony ridge. I made a beeline to the Drochaid Mhuilich to ascend the west side of Carn nam Fiaclan. I was glad it was not boggy in the lower parts. I found a good crossing of An Crom Alt which was in spate. Now it was a steep climb up. After a lot of huffing and puffing I reached a plateau which was a relief before a further ascent took me to Carn nam Fiaclan.
SAM_0420.JPG
Fuar Tholl Mor corrie
Now a pleasant enjoyable walk on the short grass circumnavigating the Fuar Tholl Mor corrie took me to a small cairn which I thought was the summit. But no, the summit was a further 500 metres away. A quick walk and I was there.
At 11:45hrs these 3 Munro's have been conquered. At 1007metres Maoile Lunndaigh was the last and highest of the five.
SAM_0421.JPG
I made it
What started out as a rubbish weekend weather wise turned into something better with 2 good hiking days, 5 Munro's and 1 Corbet.
Descending north and then north east I made a bee line to just east of Glenuaig Lodge. At the lodge is an emergency shelter with 2 beds.
SAM_0423.JPG
Emergency shelter
SAM_0422.JPG
Small and compact
It has heat and light which I thought was very good of the estate. Back along the track to the tent, packed up and headed back to Craig.
A very satisfying 2 days.
Last edited by trekker53 on Fri Aug 03, 2012 10:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
trekker53
Munro compleatist

Munros:215   Corbetts:88
Fionas:42   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:50   Hewitts:5
Wainwrights:7   

Re: 2 Days, 5 Munro's with a dollop of "cheesecake thrown in

Postby morag1 » Wed Aug 01, 2012 9:15 pm

Great adventure, well done all of you :clap:
morag1

Postby munrobagger46 » Fri Aug 03, 2012 1:33 pm

Great pics well done. Glad the weather improved.
munrobagger46
Munro compleatist

Munros:114   Corbetts:11
Fionas:5   
Sub 2000:3   

Postby Peter Forbes » Sat Aug 04, 2012 1:50 pm

Hi Charlie

Enjoyed your report, and glad you joined us it made for an enjoyable day, the weather clearing during the course of it helped, I’m not sure I would look back on the day as fondly is the rain of the first couple of hours had continued.

We managed Liathach the next day and did Maoile Lunndaidh on the Thursday and I am now back at home in the Midlands after a 540 mile drive yesterday. But I will manage, with luck to get a few more climbed this year. Then I can start thinking about hill walking for fun.
Peter Forbes
Backpacker

Munros:282   Corbetts:59
Fionas:22   Donalds:12
Hewitts:1

Postby PeteR » Sat Aug 04, 2012 5:26 pm

A good looking two days you seem to have had :D I can't wait to get back in amongst these hills, if only the weather at the weekends would relent :shock: Looks like you had some good weather there eventually though. Certainly some good views from these hills :D
PeteR
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:173
Fionas:122   Donalds:89+52
Sub 2000:200   Hewitts:3
Islands:9

Postby trekker53 » Mon Aug 06, 2012 5:01 pm

Hi Peter, you finally got your first post in. Maybe we'll see a few more. I had great views of Beinn Eighe and Liathach on the Tuesday. Glad you did them and then back to the track at Craig for Maoile Lunndaidh. It's always better with decent weather to enjoy the views.
Maybe one day we'll meet again. It's a small world.
trekker53
Munro compleatist

Munros:215   Corbetts:88
Fionas:42   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:50   Hewitts:5
Wainwrights:7   

Postby Peter Forbes » Tue Aug 07, 2012 7:26 pm

Hi Charlie

Starting to get close now, hoping to get a week in at the end of August, hopefully get another six or seven under the belt, then a week at the end of September. Hopefully, we will go into next year with around 30-35 left to do. A week on Skye down to 20ish. I think when we get that close it will be head down and go for it. I had better make sure and get the car serviced.
Peter Forbes
Backpacker

Munros:282   Corbetts:59
Fionas:22   Donalds:12
Hewitts:1

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland