walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Second Munro, more lessons learned

Second Munro, more lessons learned

Postby tullius0618 » Thu Aug 02, 2012 7:38 pm

Munros included on this walk: Ben Vorlich (Loch Earn)

Date walked: 02/08/2012

Time taken: 4 hours

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

I selected Ben Vorlich for my second ascent because it's within an hour's drive of my house, so wouldn'tt be hard to get back from, and looked "fairly" straightforward.

Having checked out some of the other climbers' reports and being alerted to the rules regards access via Ardvorlich House I was straight on the right path, and once on it the climb pretty much "ran on rails".
The weather was brilliant, as I type this the back of my neck is still burning from the sun - my learning points this time round were to make sure my pack contains suncream, and Jungle Gel(!). I'd packed nearly everything I needed this time, truth be told I bought a larger capacity rucksack after Schiehallion, and spent some time thinking about what should go in the bag and what should be left in a bag back at the car for my return. This meant I had plenty to drink, a change from a technical tee to a warmer fleece for the descent, room for a change of socks, etc, all major benefits to a newbie!

This was a far tougher climb than Schiehallion, steeper in sections, but also easier to navigate as the track leads all the way to the summit! Also, no cloud when I arrived at the top was a definite plus, although it did sneak in as I was finishing my lunch and getting ready to descend.

So, second climb, first with little or no cloud, and how spectacular was the view? Awesome! The views down into Glen Artney, and across to the Ben Lawers Range, were absolutely worth the effort alone, and that's before the remaining panorama! I may use this as a justification for buying a better camera!

I will admit to a hint of nerves at one point as I began to realise how far up I was, and how narrow the track was in some sections, but I hope/think this is likely to be the equivalent of getting my sea legs; a few more summits in clear weather and it won't bother me at all.

Stuc a Chroin will have to wait, I knew when I saw it that I didn't have either the energy or the experience to push on today, so I'll have to come back for a second bash as I get fitter and more "seasoned".

Tomorrow's a rest day - left knee was griping badly by the time I returned to the car - but if the weather holds I'm aiming for Ben Chonzie or Ben Lawers on Saturday, the weatherman's making all the right noises right now!

:D
Attachments

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

tullius0618
Munro compleatist

Munros:54   Corbetts:3
Fionas:1   Donalds:3+0
Sub 2000:5   

Re: Second Munro, more lessons learned

Postby MarilynMunro » Thu Aug 02, 2012 7:43 pm

Congratulations, and welcome aboard. Sounds like you getting things nailed with your kit, in my limited opinion it s a constantly changing thing anyway.
Good luck with your next outing
MarilynMunro
Mountaineer

Munros:43   Corbetts:3
Fionas:3   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:4   

Postby gammy leg walker » Thu Aug 02, 2012 8:15 pm

Nice one,2 down 280 only to go.

121 Munro" on my count & still learning.
gammy leg walker
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:7
Fionas:4   Donalds:3+0
Sub 2000:2   
Islands:7
Walk wish-list

Postby scoob999 » Thu Aug 02, 2012 8:35 pm

Well done :clap:

The more you get out the less pain you feel on your knees.. at least that's how it is for me :D
Sounds like your getting hooked? :lol: :lol: :lol:
scoob999
Munro compleatist

Munros:143   Corbetts:222
Fionas:151   Donalds:89+52
Sub 2000:145   Hewitts:27
Wainwrights:7   Islands:22

Postby Fudgie » Thu Aug 02, 2012 9:22 pm

As others have said, once you get out more you'll not only get more experience but you'll get fitter and the knees won't feel as bad. The obsession has begun :lol:
Fudgie
Mountain Walker

Munros:100   Corbetts:20
Fionas:3   Donalds:7

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland