walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Beinn a' Ghlo

Beinn a' Ghlo

Postby David Lyall » Fri Aug 03, 2012 9:58 pm

Munros included on this walk: Bràigh Coire Chruinn-bhalgain, Càrn Liath (Beinn a' Ghlò), Càrn nan Gabhar

Date walked: 02/08/2012

Time taken: 8 hours

Distance: 22 km

Ascent: 1239m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Walked this one on my own, I left Dumabrton at 7am and was on site next to Loch Moraig to start the walk at just after 9am. After a 2 hour drive I really enjoyed my flask of coffee and piece of leftover apple pie before I started the walk :wink:
Beinn a Ghlo (5).JPG
starting point with Carn Liath behind

The weather was good with only a slight bit of cloud covering the top of Carn Liath. I headed off up the track leaving the track beside a wooden hut keeping to the right hand side of a fence line. The path up Carn Liath can't be missed white stones make it visable for miles.
Beinn a Ghlo (7).JPG
First of the day summit of Carn Liath

Once at the top there were good views over to the other tops as well as the best route to take.
Beinn a Ghlo (8).JPG
Nice walk along the ridge leading off Carn Liath heading towards Braigh Coire Chruinn-bhalgain, hard to miss the paths on this section.

The walk over to Braigh Coire Chruinn-bhalgain start nice and easy dropping more steeply to the bealach then a long slogg up to the summit.
Beinn a Ghlo (6).JPG
summit of Braigh Coire Chruinn-bhalgain with the last summit of the day Carn nan Gabhar behind.

I headed for the next summit and stopped at the bealach for a well deserved break after that I left my bag and headed for the summit of Carn nan Gabhar, two good cairns and a trig point not bad for one summit. Views all round were great especially up to the Cairn Gorms.
Beinn a Ghlo (4).JPG
Carn nan Gabhar, two cairns and a trig point.

After that it was back to the bealach to pick up my bag and head down the south side of the burn not a great path but it gets you where you need to be without to much hassle, eventually picking up the track I came in on. I was glad to have company on the way out it help pass the time on a long walk out.
David Lyall
Munro compleatist

Munros:200   Corbetts:28
Fionas:6   

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland