walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Geal-charn Mor

Geal-charn Mor

Postby rockhopper » Mon Aug 06, 2012 10:46 pm

Route description: Geal-charn Mòr , from Lynwilg

Corbetts included on this walk: Geal-charn Mòr

Date walked: 01/08/2012

Time taken: 1.67 hours

Distance: 10.7 km

Ascent: 572m

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Corbett: Geal-charn Mor
Date: 1 August 2012
Ascent: 572m
Distance: 10.7km
Time: 1hr 40mins

Had a little time to spare after an early dinner while on the family holiday in Coylumbridge. Needed some exercise after a few days of overeating and not getting out much.

Geal-charn Mor activelog.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

Put the rockhopper on the car roof and drove the short distance down to cross the A9, over to Lynwilg, carefully up the single track road avoiding the young pheasants wandering around the roadside and parked in the large space before the gate just up from the Scripture Union building. Bike off the roof and started cycling steeply uphill.

The route follows the Burma road which was built by PoWs in the second world war. Good surface and steep in places - was able to cycle a fair bit of the way but had to stop and push the bike occasionally when the surface got too rubbly and/or steep.

Some light rain on and off but the wind was largely behind me thankfully. Views looking back downhill.

Got to the top and found a cairn where the track leaves the Burma road. Went on a bit on the road to another cairn and a small memorial.

Looking back

Looking north

I had planned to leave the bike at the memorial and walk the rest of the way to the top. However, I found that I could cycle part and push part of the way - across some boggy ground to regain the track to the summit. Some views back towards Aviemore with rain in the distance.

Not long before I got to the summit trig point and small shelter.

Views from the top

Shortly after that the rain started and with more clouds and heavier rain rolling in I set off back down the track to rejoin the Burma road. Managed to cycle most of the way back to the road other than having to push the bike on some boggier sections.

Fortunately the rain didn’t come to much but there was a strong wind against and across me making the cycling a bit trickier than normal. Quick ride back down and not long before I was back at the car. This was the first time I’d tried this route and one I want to do again in better weather as there are some great views over to the Cairngorms.
rockhopper

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:136   Donalds:89+20
Sub 2000:16   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:3   Islands:20

Re: Geal-charn Mor

Postby danielsutherland » Mon Aug 06, 2012 11:38 pm

Very dramatic looking views in the second picture :D I remember thinking this would be a great hill to cycle when I did it.

Nice one!!
danielsutherland

Munros:129   Corbetts:42
Fionas:1   Donalds:3
Sub 2000:2   Hewitts:62
Wainwrights:69   

Postby Johnny Corbett » Tue Aug 07, 2012 11:24 am

A nice short walk this one, think it took about 3 hours. I thought you'd been drinking rocket fuel when i saw your time :lol:
Johnny Corbett
Mountain Walker

Munros:25   Corbetts:214
Fionas:168   Donalds:74
Sub 2000:302   Hewitts:1
Islands:14

Postby jonny616 » Tue Aug 07, 2012 1:36 pm

Looks good. A great area as previously discussed. Glenmore for september weekend for me.
jonny616
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:14
Fionas:2   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:17
Wainwrights:8   Islands:8

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland