walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

3 coastal mountains in the NW highlands (Rois Bhein video)

3 coastal mountains in the NW highlands (Rois Bhein video)

Postby wilkiemurray » Tue Aug 07, 2012 8:15 pm

Route description: Rois-Bheinn round, Inverailort

Corbetts included on this walk: An Stac, Rois-Bheinn, Sgurr na Ba Glaise

Date walked: 04/08/2012

Time taken: 6.4 hours

Distance: 17 km

Ascent: 1550m

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Rois bheinn circuit

video as usual :

I had been planning on a trip up to the Glenfinnan Munros with Streap added in but due to a couple of things decided against it. However I had been eying up the three corbetts 10 miles down the road at Inverailort for some time.

A decision was made late on Friday night after surveying the forecast and an early start was planned. Thunderstorms were forecast for the afternoon and the best weather was definitely in the morning. So up extra early (woke at 03.30 and left the house at 4.15am!! Advantages of this was quick progress up the A9 and infact the road all the way through was quiet – nice easy driving…In addition a spectacular sunrise was caught just beyond Drummochter.
DSC03449.JPG
sunrise

Anyway I decided on leaving the car at Inverailort just off the junction of the roads in front of the map and message from the estate. I had thought about leaving the car off the road near the River Ailort and heading past Genshian lodge but ended up parking at Inverailort and walking along the straight (but over-grown track past the cottages (helpfully there were sign posts for “Druim Fiaclach"). This headed across some overgrown and boggy ground and up through Tom Odhar eventually into the Coire a Bhuirdh. I was swithering on doing an anticlockwise round starting with An Stac but ended up going up Druim Fiaclach. Although early (left car at 06.45) there was no wind and the hike up Meall Damh was causing much perspiration !! No chance for stopping as whenever I did the midge attacked!!! Anyway up past the small lochan and up Druim Fiaclach. An interesting walk up through some crags to a nice little summit. A rest here with the ridge of the An t-Slat-Bheinn ahead leading to the three corbetts. The views were stunning in all directions- mountainous to the east, south and north and sea views of Rum, Skye etc to etc West.

A treck along the ridge brought me to the first Corbett of the day and a summit which was not too difficult to reach – Sgurr na Ba Glaise. It was now 09.45 and I could see the start of some clouds forming to the south, still great clear views everywhere though. Rois Bheinn was next and off I headed. Reached the bealach and hand railed the dyke to the summit.
DSC03479.JPG
clouds to south forming
I was feeling the strain now, but made the top at around 10.40 but then decided to head to te western top for the extensive sea views – sods law though – only 15mins of cloud cover for the whole day and it was when I reached the western top!! Never mind – now for the big descent and re ascent of An Stac. The sun was now blazing down as the cloud cleared.
DSC03486.JPG
an stac
A steep descent (one to be careful of in poor weather!), an a break for lunch. Then onto the top of An Stac. Summit reached and time to relax at the summit for some time next to the small cairn – absolutely stunning views too. It was now 12.15 and those couds to the south were getting bigger – time to get home. I descended north and found my way bck to the trail I used on the way.
DSC03489.JPG
looking back

Back to car just after 1 o clock and a wee drive home …
wilkiemurray

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Walkhighlands community forum is advert free

We need help to keep the site online.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and the online community by setting up a monthly donation by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland