walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Meall a'Bhuachaille from Glenmore vistor centre

Meall a'Bhuachaille from Glenmore vistor centre

Postby StephenT » Tue Aug 07, 2012 9:39 pm

Route description: Meall a' Bhuachaille circuit, Glenmore

Corbetts included on this walk: Meall a'Bhuachaille

Date walked: 03/08/2012

Time taken: 1.75 hours

Distance: 5.6 km

Ascent: 475m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Scotland 2012 (291).JPG
Information board

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

Last day of our first visit to the Cairngorms, already managed 6 munro's and keeping everyone happy with other activities!
After a day at Landmark Adventure Park 8) (great day for all ages were 40+ and Thomas is 15) and as the weather was once again superb I had just enough time to squeeze a quick walk in :D before tea and packing :(
I'd noticed this hill while canoeing on Loch Morlich and it looked like i could be up/down fairly quickly, as no-one wanted to come with me this was another solo trip. But in better weather than Bynack More on wednesday evening!
Parked up at Glenmore visitor centre, boots on and off up the track to the left of the centre. The route follows the track up through the forest before opening out onto the hillside, its a well constructed track most of the way although a little loose towards the top.
Scotland 2012 (278).JPG
Path through the forest

Scotland 2012 (279).JPG
Meall a'Bhuachaille coming into view

I'm not a quick walker but i was surprised to be at the top in 55 minutes - a bit sweaty! 2.8km 475m ascent.
Scotland 2012 (283).JPG
broken into a sweat and lots of flies!

The views from the top were excellent all round, particularly towards the Cairngorm plateau and I had the place to myself :D . Although the flies around the summit made staying their too long unpleasant.
Scotland 2012 (284).JPG

Scotland 2012 (285).JPG

Scotland 2012 (286).JPG

Scotland 2012 (287).JPG

40 minutes back down to the car and back to help with packing!

An excellent little hill if you have a couple of hours to spare and can easily be extended by following the WH route http://www.walkhighlands.co.uk/cairngorms/meallabhuachaille.shtml
StephenT
Mountaineer

Munros:34   Corbetts:6
Hewitts:14
Wainwrights:27   Islands:12

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Walkhighlands community forum is advert free

We need help to keep the site online.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and the online community by setting up a monthly donation by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland