walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Childhood Dreams and Destiny - Curved Ridge

Childhood Dreams and Destiny - Curved Ridge

by BobMcBob » Thu Aug 09, 2012 12:28 am

Munros included on this walk: Stob Dearg (Buachaille Etive Mòr), Stob na Bròige (Buachaille Etive Mòr)

Date walked: 08/08/2012

Time taken: 8 hours

Distance: 14.4 km

Ascent: 1615m

Click to mark this as a great report. Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Re: Childhood Dreams and Destiny - Curved Ridge

Postby Alteknacker » Sat Jul 15, 2017 3:32 pm

Great report - you posted this before I joined WH, so I missed it.

Stob Dearg is a truly iconic mountain, and your B&W pic really does capture that. Other pics also great, as usual.

I did this in partial clag in 2014, and like you found it not particularly difficult technically, with good solid hand and foot holds; but a lot of exposure! Isn't the Rannoch Wall a wonderful sight??

The other thing that struck me was the multiplicity of possible routes. In fact Dr Frank and I chose different routes - unwise in clag! - and it took us an age to find each other again.
Alteknacker
Scrambler

Munros:176   Corbetts:33
Fionas:1   
Hewitts:264
Wainwrights:118   

Postby ancancha » Sat Jul 15, 2017 6:17 pm

Great report, I remember hyperventilating with relief at getting to the top of An Stuc :lol:
Well done on conquering yourself :clap:
ancancha
Mountain Walker

Munros:84   Corbetts:3
Fionas:1   Donalds:1

Postby gman » Sun Jul 16, 2017 9:54 am

Alteknacker wrote:The other thing that struck me was the multiplicity of possible routes. In fact Dr Frank and I chose different routes - unwise in clag! - and it took us an age to find each other again.

I've done it quite a few times and it's usually possible to find something harder than you did the last time, for example instead of doing the crux you can move to the right along a ledge then straight up a steep wall (or go straight up to the wall with a mantle onto the ledge). Makes it a good route for practise, also a nice descent if you've done another scramble on the Buachaille.
gman

Munros:250   Corbetts:4
Sub 2000:1   

Postby Alteknacker » Sun Jul 16, 2017 10:00 am

gman wrote:
Alteknacker wrote:The other thing that struck me was the multiplicity of possible routes. In fact Dr Frank and I chose different routes - unwise in clag! - and it took us an age to find each other again.

I've done it quite a few times and it's usually possible to find something harder than you did the last time, for example instead of doing the crux you can move to the right along a ledge then straight up a steep wall (or go straight up to the wall with a mantle onto the ledge). Makes it a good route for practise, also a nice descent if you've done another scramble on the Buachaille.

Indeed. It seemed to me like a place where one could spend an entire day scrambling in (like Tryfan in Snowdonia, for example). Whilst I'm not that keen on climbing (all the faff with ropes etc.), I could even fancy the Rannoch Wall - it looks phenomenal!
Alteknacker
Scrambler

Munros:176   Corbetts:33
Fionas:1   
Hewitts:264
Wainwrights:118   

14 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Previous

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland