walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

700th time up Dumyat

700th time up Dumyat

Postby hills » Thu Aug 09, 2012 3:38 pm

Sub 2000' hills included on this walk: Dumyat

Date walked: 09/08/2012

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Well done Russell, its so nice to have such a hill on our doorstep, I must have done this 20 times, pretty meagre compared to you, whats your favourite out of the many routes up?
hills
Hill Bagger

Munros:255   Corbetts:170
Fionas:172   Donalds:88
Sub 2000:191   Hewitts:14
Wainwrights:32   Islands:34

Re: 700th time up Dumyat

Postby morag1 » Thu Aug 09, 2012 7:32 pm

Congratulations! A lot of ascents of one hill but then I look at your hill record and it's very impressive, obviously someone who just loves to be out there 8)

Reminds me of the man who climbed the Ben every day of his life - it made him happy to do that. A lot of people in Edinburgh walk up Blackford Hill every day - keeps them healthy and they love the social aspect of it. There are also a lot of people who climb Arthurs Seat every Sunday morning. As i work shifts I cant stick to a regular walking pattern but if I was retired I would try to do something like this :D

How long did it take you to do the 700 ascents? Is it something you do every day or week?
morag1

Postby Graeme D » Thu Aug 09, 2012 9:12 pm

Brilliant! Puts my one ascent of Dumyat firmly into perspective. But then despite just being a wee one, it was still one of my hill highlights. When I'm driving north past Stirling on the motorway (just over the Forth) I always have a fond wee glance up at Dumyat and remember that spine chilling evening.
Graeme D

Munros:251   Corbetts:123
Fionas:75   Donalds:22
Sub 2000:59   Hewitts:36
Wainwrights:28   Islands:6

Postby Dave Hewitt » Fri Aug 10, 2012 9:10 am

RTC wrote:Went up Dumyat today for 700th time

Great stuff, congrats re this – a fine achievement. Looks like you had a good day for it – I was across on the Sloy/Arrochar Munros and it was good weather there as well. Talking of repeat ascents, at the time of writing there’s still 23 hours left on the iPlayer for last weekend’s Out of Doors piece on Alan Douglas and his affection for Ben Lomond. It was recorded Tuesday last week on his 2636th ascent (it’ll be more now) and he’s done five calendar rounds. I was there to provide background quotes etc – in the end they didn’t use any of my bits but Alan’s good on it – it’s on the iPlayer from 56 minutes:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b01lh30t

Looking forward to joining Dave Hewitt and his pals at the top of Ben Cleuch later in the year for his 1000th ascent.

If I’m spared, as mother says. Not thinking about getting to four figures just yet – will see how things stand come the turn of the year. As I’ve probably said on here before, there are more people than might generally be imagined who have done high numbers of multiple ascents – eg I know of two others with 1300+ Ben Cleuchs and one other with 1000+ Dumyats, and I’d be very surprised if there weren’t more. Hillwalking, list-doing etc tends to be portrayed as linear – people climb a hill once and then move on – but while there is clearly a lot of that around, there is also a fair bit of more unusual bespoke stuff going, thank goodness. It would be terrible if everyone was the same (as my mother is also prone to saying).
Dave Hewitt
Mountaineer

Postby alfie » Fri Aug 10, 2012 9:22 pm

awesome and inspiring!i thought i was up the ochils a lot but you guys have took it to another level!im doing the postie shift this week up muckhart and glendevon and was wondering if the dunning glen hills are part of the ochils!dumyat will always be my favourite hill !!!well done!! :clap:
alfie
Munro compleatist

Munros:102   Corbetts:2
Fionas:1   Donalds:5
Sub 2000:2   

Postby dunrig » Thu Aug 16, 2012 1:28 am

thats great - there is something admirable in climbing the same hill lots of times, a labour of sisyphus
dunrig

Postby Eskimo » Wed Jan 21, 2015 9:43 am

Some achievement this but after bumping into you on Dumyat last Sunday with Alfie I know you are WAY past 700 now! Great meeting you!

Awesome!

:clap:

Greig
Eskimo

Munros:116   Corbetts:3
Sub 2000:13   

Postby alfie » Thu Jan 22, 2015 6:15 pm

Aye it was great meeting ye Russell!!
Always hoped a would!;-)
alfie
Munro compleatist

Munros:102   Corbetts:2
Sub 2000:2   

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland