walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

A very testing Ben Starav + 2

A very testing Ben Starav + 2

Postby steven65 » Mon Aug 13, 2012 3:38 pm

Munros included on this walk: Beinn nan Aighenan, Ben Starav, Glas Bheinn Mhòr

Date walked: 12/08/2012

Time taken: 11 hours

Distance: 19 km

Ascent: 1962m

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

This was my 1st walk after an 11 week " lay off " due to my daughters wedding , followed by our summer hols touring Europe , & then a forced return to work as well as other ( non-essential ?) commitments !!
With hindsight I should have came back to an easier day out , this was a killer , i`m a bit rusty & this was a BIG test .
Ben Starav from the minor access road.
I drove up on Saturday night and camped at the wee clearing at Loch Etive , other regular campers were there . No facilities here at the wee camp area -just a basic small grassy area .Tent up & a couple of beers chatting to a fellow scooterist - a regular camper at Loch Etive - about Lambretta/Vespa things , Oskar got on fine with the other dogs present.
Ben Starav loomed ominously accross the loch reaching along way into the sky :shock:
Before calling it a night i was lucky enough to see 4 meteors / shooting stars as it was quite a clear night - these being predicted by the news , good stuff.
Up early on Sunday i kept hitting the snooze mode on my mobile for some more sleep , i eventually got ready then fired up the gas stove & made the obligatory sausages for me & Oskar :D . Once finished i packed up quietly , got my rucksack ready and drove the short distance back up the glen to park at Coiletir about 730 ish.
It was a bit cloudy over Starav with no view of the top , but it was warm and dry. The track takes you to a bridge over the River Etive & towards the cottage at Coiletir , a sign on the gate points to a route behind the cottage going through tall ferns leading through a boggy field towards the Allt Mheuran .
As you pass through this field a tall step goes over the deer fence on the L / H side , ALL the tracks led over this style / step......... do not take this route ( i did & had to retrace 100 M or so ) instead continue through the field towards the burn. Crossing the water i said Hi to an older couple who had camped here for 2 or 3 days and were packing up..
I see a view forming here.
Ben Starav was now in front of me , it was a case of head down & get on with it. The views opened up as i gained height , i was enjoying myself despite the hard work.
Looking back up Glen Etive
Clag covering the top
Are we going up there ???
It was now very windy & i`d put on my hat & Berghaus.
Views over to Glas Bheinn Mhor , cloud skirting the top.
Information..........
Continuing on it was now blowing a hooly , someone had written the above note on the pathway. I couldn`t see the top yet but knew it was 200 M in elevation & not distance :wink:
Closer now . i think (hope)
Luckily on the summitt the cloud did lift albeit briefly to give some views - if only for a wee while. I`d saw another climber coming up the ridge behind me , in a much quicker fashion than me. I decided to have a rest & some food , after 15 / 20 mins the guy caught me up. We chatted & moved off together to Stob Coire Dheirg , as we approached Bealachan Lochain Ghaineamhaich i let him move on ahead as i was under pressure & feeling the pace. I can`t recall the guys name , he is a member here on WH but hasn`t posted yet , i rested again at the bealach for 20 mins before the climb up to Beinn nan Aighenan , watching the other guy in front of me ( he comes from Dundee) make his way up.
Munro no 2 Beinn nan Aighenan.
Whilst having this break , 3 folk with a dog came down off B n A and passed by en route for Ben Starav -doing the route in reverse , we all exchanged hi`s - happy to be out on what was now a HOT sunny day. :clap:
Towards Ben Cruachan before the pull up B n A.
Looking back to Ben Starav in the sun
Down over Coire na Caime to Loch Tulla way
After my break , despite being tired i enjoyed to climb up Beinn nan Aighenan , meeting a walker coming down who had walked in from Victoria Bridge via Glenn Kinglass , good effort there eh!
Loch Etive stretching out from B n A.
I also chatted to a lady / girl walker on Beinn nan Aighenan , i topped out just before her & after a wee break continued back down -she passed me just before the Bealachan Lochain Ghaineamhaich but didn`t go via
Glas Bheinn Mhor . I think she went down via Coire Lochan Ghaineamhaich as i didn`t see her again.
Back to Ben Starav from the approach to Meall na Tri Tighearean
From here on i was very tired , i had water left & some energy drink too but i was bushed , i`d eaten all my food & had taken a good few stops to have a breather.
Oskar on Glas Bheinn Mhor...... i think ???? too many fotos on camera :lol:
Again the wind picked up coming down off Glas Bheinn Mhor , i`d read on WH about this route and had underestimated it slightly , but no harm done & a valuable lesson learned .It was a long walk down to Coire Odhar & then the rocky and sometimes very boggy path out , back to the Allt Mheuran & through the fields – now seeming wetter despite no rain ? to Coiletir & the short distance to my car.
Oskar had been brilliant as always , it had been a great day – but very tiring
Well done to the folk here on WH who have done all 5 of these mountains - including Meall nan Eun & Stob Coir`an Albannich , thats a big day out. My legs are still a bit tight today -Tuesday - after Sundays exertions. My 11 week "holiday" is now over , hopefully i`ll perform much ,much better next time out in 2 weeks !
Last foto looking back
Attachments

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

steven65
Mountain Walker

Munros:262   Corbetts:3
Fionas:2   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:2   

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland