walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Sgurr a' Mhaoraich, Sgurr Thionail and Am Bathaich

Sgurr a' Mhaoraich, Sgurr Thionail and Am Bathaich

Postby bootsandpaddles » Mon Aug 13, 2012 6:24 pm

Munros included on this walk: Sgùrr a' Mhaoraich

Date walked: 08/08/2012

Time taken: 7 hours

Distance: 16.7 km

Ascent: 1385m

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

SGURR A’ MHAORAICH, SGURR THIONAIL AND AM BATHAICH

Following the downpours I had endured on Ladhar Bheinnthe previous day I was very pleased to wake up to a beautiful morning overlooking Loch Quoich. :clap:

I parked about 1km west of the bridge where a clear path goes up from the road. There were lots of these wonderful stripy caterpillars (fox moth?) on the grass and heather at the side of the path.
DSCN1759.JPG
As the path zigzags up the ridge the views open out all round: Gairich and Sgurr an Fhuarain to the south, the hills of Knoydart to the west and Gleouraich to the east.
DSCN1758.JPG
DSCN1760.JPG
The ridge swings left and reaches Sgurr Coire nan Eiricheallach before dropping down to a bealach. From here I could see a huge herd of deer down in the corrie to the north.
DSCN1763.JPG
They didn’t seem particularly bothered by my presence. The ridge up to the summit of Sgurr a’ Mhaoraich has piles of huge boulders jumbled about all over it and some dry stone walls.
DSCN1768.JPG
From the summit the views west were amazing and it was obvious that I had to go on to Sgurr a’ Mhaoraich Beag to make the most of the photo opportunities. There were spectacular views down Loch Hourn and it was nice to get a good view of Ladhar Bheinn as I hadn’t really seen it yesterday.
DSCN1775.JPG
Loch Hourn

I then retraced my steps but cut off on what I think was a deer track that contoured round northwest ridge of Sgurr a’ Mhaoraich towards the bealach it shares with Am Bathaich.
DSCN1779.JPG
Am Bathaich
More contouring put me on the ridge leading north to Sgurr Thionail.
DSCN1782.JPG
Sgurr Thionail
This ridge had lots of humps and bumps before it finally climbed up the summit, a great vantage point for looking along the South Glen Shiel Ridge.

After lunch I retraced my route along the ridge and swung off west to climb to the summit of Am Bathaich.
DSCN1790.JPG
Sgurr a' Mhaoraich from Am Bathaich
From there it was a long descent into Glen Quoich with views of the huge west corrie of Gleouraich
DSCN1795.JPG
Gleouraich
and the glen leading east.
DSCN1794.JPG
Another of those interminable zigzag paths finally led to a crossing of the Allt Coire a’ Chaorainn.
DSCN1797.JPG
Allt Coire a' Chaorainn
I then followed the meandering River Quoich on a reasonable path until it joined the track along the side of the loch. In fact, as you can see from the photo the loch wasn’t there: it had all but dried up.
DSCN1798.JPG
There were lots of dragonflies around.
DSCN1800.JPG
Golden ring dragonfly
The track joined the “main road” at the bridge and from there it was a short walk back to the car.

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

bootsandpaddles

Munros:282   Corbetts:103
Donalds:7

Re: Sgurr a' Mhaoraich, Sgurr Thionail and Am Bathaich

Postby LeithySuburbs » Mon Aug 13, 2012 7:02 pm

Love the Loch Hourn pic :D . Cheers for sharing :) .
LeithySuburbs
Ambler

Munros:259   Corbetts:56
Fionas:29   Donalds:33
Sub 2000:41   Hewitts:14
Wainwrights:23   Islands:13

Postby Gavin99 » Mon Aug 13, 2012 7:31 pm

Nice report with some lovely photos , I've been meaning to visit this area for a while , now I want to go even more !
I think those are indeed fox moths , great wee beasties :D
Gavin99
Mountaineer

Munros:280   Corbetts:134
Fionas:79   Donalds:71
Sub 2000:38   Hewitts:13
Wainwrights:16   
Walk wish-list

Postby monty » Mon Aug 13, 2012 7:50 pm

Excellent report boots. Love the photos. Brings back memories. My 5th Munro Sept 2008. :D
monty

Postby bigkeith » Sun Jul 11, 2021 12:50 pm

Nice report, thanks, lovely pics :) :clap: . I've been to Sgurr Mhaoraich once before and I was blown away by the views - it was also a really lovely day which helps :) . Hoping to go back soon and maybe follow something closer to your route but maybe in reverse just for a change from my first visit :) .
bigkeith
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:6
Fionas:2   
Hewitts:17

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland