walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Why oh why is Sgurr na Lapaich not a Munro??? Not fair!

Why oh why is Sgurr na Lapaich not a Munro??? Not fair!

by BlackPanther » Tue Aug 14, 2012 4:18 pm

Route description: Carn Eige and Mam Sodhail

Munros included on this walk: Beinn Fhionnlaidh (Carn Eige), Mam Sodhail

Date walked: 11/08/2012

Time taken: 10 hours

Distance: 27.1 km

Ascent: 1784m

Click to mark this as a great report. Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Re: Why oh why is Sgurr na Lapaich not a Munro??? Not fair!

Postby monty » Wed Aug 15, 2012 2:02 pm

Excellent Photos BP and another good walk. Need to get up there soon. :D
monty

Postby Border Reiver » Wed Aug 15, 2012 2:49 pm

Thanks for that report and beautiful photos, it brings back happy memories. One spring day many years ago, when I was about 12 or 13, I stood by my Dads car at the road end in Glen Affric with binoculars, watching in awe as plumes of spindrift poured over the top of Sgur na Lapaich and I promised myself that some day I would climb it. I didn't start hillwalking / bagging until 20 years later in 1987 and finally climbed Sgur na Lapaich in 1994, along with Carn Eighe, Mam Sodhail, Tom a Choinnich and Toll Creagach. It was in July and it was a day like the one you got, blue skies and endless views.
Personally, I don't worry about Sgur na Lapaich not being a Munro as it's still a very fine mountain and the only loss is to those dedicated baggers who only bag Munros. Mountains like Sgur na Lapaich are still enjoyed by those of us who see their true value as great mountains, whether they are on a list or not.
Whenever I'm in that part of Scotland, I make a point of driving up beautiful Strathglass and Glen Affric to look up again at the mountain that started it all.
Border Reiver
Wanderer

Munros:202   Corbetts:7
Grahams:3   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:2   Hewitts:61
Wainwrights:68   Islands:31

Postby audreywaugh » Wed Aug 15, 2012 3:30 pm

Fantastic report and photos, thanks for sharing :clap:
audreywaugh
Wanderer

Munros:187   Corbetts:38
Grahams:14   Donalds:13
Sub 2000:24   Hewitts:48
Wainwrights:47   Islands:18

Postby talkingdolphin » Wed Aug 15, 2012 3:43 pm

Awesome report & photos. I aspire to writing a report like this one day never mind a walk like this!!! : )
talkingdolphin
Mountaineer

Munros:6   Corbetts:2
Grahams:4   
Sub 2000:3   

9 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Previous

Walkhighlands community forum is advert free

Your generosity keeps this site running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and the online community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland