walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Bynack More to Cairn Gorm

Bynack More to Cairn Gorm

Postby fipriestley » Tue Aug 14, 2012 10:25 pm

Munros included on this walk: Bynack More, Cairn Gorm

Date walked: 03/08/2012

Time taken: 7.5 hours

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

I followed the trade/WH route to Bynack More summit, passing the stunning green Lochan Uaine and taking lots of photos stops along the way - the sun was beating down and some of the scenery meant this just didn't feel like a day in Scotland!
SDC15638.JPG
Lochan Uaine
SDC15651.JPG
across the plains

There's a good path all the way up Bynack More, but as I neared the final ascent I thought I could see icebergs :? ...that turned out to be large canvas sacks of huge heavy boulders for building a path. Impressed at how these got all the way up here I was disappointed not to see Hercules, Samson, Arnie and a few of their mates who might have taken one of the 4 handles each to carry these loads. [was later pointed out to me that these are of course helicoptered in, DOH! :roll: :lol: ]
SDC15666.JPG
bags of rocks :)

Final pull up to the summit and it's all rocks on the top. Finding the summit cairn was made a little easier when I could hear voices, so I climbed up to join 3 others there.
SDC15675.JPG
the whole top's a pile of rocks!

The others were all heading back down the same way but I was heading off for Cairn Gorm via A'Choinneach. The couple asked which hills were which so, having checked my map, I confidently pointed out my next 2 summits. I set off and went to check out the cool stone formations before dropping down but it didn't quite feel right :? so I checked the map again and realised that was Beinn Mheadhoin I had been pointing out, not A'Choinneach [more DOH! :roll: ] Good job they were returning on the same route they'd gone up by, so I hadn't set them off on a wrong path! :lol:
SDC15680.JPG
rock stacks on south side of Bynack More
SDC15684.JPG
flat top of A'Choinneach with Beinn Mheadhoin in the background :D
SDC15687.JPG
heading for Cairn Gorm next

The path came and went from here as I was heading for The Saddle. I dropped down too soon after losing the path (again), so didn't cross exactly at The Saddle but took more of a direct route down over rocks then straight up Cairn Gorm in between the crags. Of course part way up I looked over to see a clear path all the way up from The Saddle. :roll: :lol: Happy to take a break from the near vertical ascent I followed it across the hill but again it seemed to disappear over rocks so I was back to just heading up!
SDC15699.JPG
Loch Avon and The Saddle
SDC15702.JPG
cutting the corner a little, going down then straight up :)
SDC15709.JPG
alien's view back to my first 2 hills :D

Reached the summit and chatted with Bill who had come up from the other side :wave: We walked back down over Ptarmigan and Coire na Ciste and he very kindly gave me a lift back to my car at Glenmore Lodge :thumbup:
SDC15720.JPG
cairns mark the way (followed by blue rope chains after this!)
fipriestley
Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:77
Grahams:7   Donalds:4
Sub 2000:5   Hewitts:7
Wainwrights:3   

Re: Bynack More to Cairn Gorm

Postby Bod » Tue Aug 14, 2012 10:38 pm

A very fine walk that is Fi, nice to link up these two :D :D :D
Bod
Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:47
Grahams:28   Donalds:20
Sub 2000:39   Hewitts:9
Wainwrights:7   Islands:24

Re: Bynack More to Cairn Gorm

Postby Scotjamie » Tue Aug 14, 2012 10:42 pm

Hi Fi - nice report. Agree with Bod. Good to join these two and a fine set of pics with it
Scotjamie
Mountaineer

Munros:148   

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Walkhighlands community forum is advert free

We need help to keep the site online.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and the online community by setting up a monthly donation by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland