walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

East Mamores

East Mamores

Postby johnrich » Sat Aug 18, 2012 11:39 am

Munros included on this walk: Binnein Beag, Binnein Mòr, Na Gruagaichean, Sgùrr Èilde Mòr

Date walked: 29/05/2012

Time taken: 9 hours

Distance: 23.7 km

Ascent: 1773m

3 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

east mamores.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

east mamores.jpg

I set off from Kinlochleven with the idea of heading up An Cumhann to Loch Eidle Mor but as always my navigational skills let me down as I had a tour around the Kinlochmore housing estates before finally finding the right path :crazy:
The view back down Loch Leven from An Cumhann
IMG_1045.jpg

Sgurr Eilde Mor hiding in the clouds in the distance
IMG_1046.jpg

Not much of a view from the summit of Sgurr Eilde Mor
IMG_1050.jpg

Out of the cloud looking down Coire a Bhinnein towards the next summit of Binnein Beag again hidden, doesn't look like the clouds are lifting as expected :(
IMG_1054.jpg

At last a bit of blue sky made an appearance and Binnein Beag showed itself in all its glory :clap:
IMG_1062.jpg

With Binnein Beag in the bag it was time to head for Binnein Mor via Sron a' Gharbh-Choire which looked like it will be an interesting scramble.
Looking back to Binnein Beag
IMG_1063.jpg

The cloud base was still being kind as I reached Binnein Mor summit and had chance to look back along the route from Binnein Beag, the scramble was good fun and nothing too serious.
IMG_1069.jpg

Time to head off for the last Munro of the day Na Gruagaichean which is easier to spell than pronounce!! :D
IMG_1080.jpg

Just enough time to grab a view looking back to Binnein Mor before the mist descended again
IMG_1081.jpg

Again the mist just clears enough to get a glimpse of the descent from Na Gruagaichean before the final little climb over point 1041
IMG_1084.jpg

Looking down to Coire na Ba with Kinlochleven just visible in the distance
IMG_1087.jpg

Finally the last view down Loch Leven from just above the Grey Mares Tail waterfall and the and of a cracking day out :clap:
IMG_1093.jpg
johnrich
Walker

Munros:9   Corbetts:29
Fionas:5   Donalds:9
Sub 2000:2   Hewitts:85
Wainwrights:69   

Re: East Mamores

Postby ChrisG » Sat Aug 18, 2012 12:22 pm

Looks like a great day out John. How did you get that altitude graph on your report :D
ChrisG
Mountain Walker

Munros:33   Corbetts:5
Fionas:2   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:2   Hewitts:141
Wainwrights:214   Islands:5

Postby skuk007 » Sat Aug 18, 2012 3:08 pm

Nice report John, I was hoping to do this exact route back in July but while climbing out of Kinlochleven in the rain with no prospect of it clearing I turned round deciding to leave it for a better day. Hope to get a bit of your weather next time :-)
skuk007
Mountain Walker

Munros:44   
Hewitts:8
Wainwrights:16   

Postby johnrich » Sun Aug 19, 2012 10:20 am

ChrisG wrote:Looks like a great day out John. How did you get that altitude graph on your report :D

Hi Chris, it was taken of my GPS via memory map but I then print screen with the profile elevation displayed then paste into paint and crop!! a little bit long winded and I'm sure there's an easier way but have not really tried :crazy:
johnrich
Walker

Postby johnrich » Sun Aug 19, 2012 10:22 am

skuk007 wrote:Nice report John, I was hoping to do this exact route back in July but while climbing out of Kinlochleven in the rain with no prospect of it clearing I turned round deciding to leave it for a better day. Hope to get a bit of your weather next time :-)

I know the feeling, it didn't really look like it was going to clear and I was tempted to turn around myself. I believe in clear weather the views are some of the best so maybe I'll have another go at it some day when I know it'll be clear.
johnrich
Walker

Postby Paula Hubens » Sun Aug 19, 2012 10:52 am

You still got some nice pictures out of it! Looks like a good round.
Paula Hubens

Postby Owen b » Sun Aug 19, 2012 8:36 pm

I've done virtually the same route today. I took a slightly more direct route up the first one, avoiding the descent to the loch, as there's a good path which skirts the bottom of the SE ridge of Binnein Mor. I avoided the scramble up Binnein Mor by heading for the north ridge. I made a bad choice of descent off the last one - I took the south ridge which was fine initially, but the descent to the valley was pretty awful. Your descent route though slightly longer must have been much easier terrain.
Owen b
Walker

Munros:17   Corbetts:222
Fionas:168   Donalds:35
Sub 2000:191   Hewitts:315
Wainwrights:214   Islands:9

Postby johnrich » Mon Aug 20, 2012 11:07 am

Owen b wrote:I've done virtually the same route today. I took a slightly more direct route up the first one, avoiding the descent to the loch, as there's a good path which skirts the bottom of the SE ridge of Binnein Mor. I avoided the scramble up Binnein Mor by heading for the north ridge. I made a bad choice of descent off the last one - I took the south ridge which was fine initially, but the descent to the valley was pretty awful. Your descent route though slightly longer must have been much easier terrain.

How was the weather for you?
It was a toss of the coin which decided the route up Binnein Mor but I'm glad I went up the scramble route.
The final descent was no problem on a good path :D
johnrich
Walker

Postby dogplodder » Mon Aug 20, 2012 7:21 pm

Still got these to do and reading this really puts me in the mood! I'll refer back to your report when the time comes so thanks for posting. :D
dogplodder

Munros:242   Corbetts:74
Fionas:25   
Sub 2000:32   Hewitts:4
Wainwrights:9   Islands:24

Postby Owen b » Mon Aug 20, 2012 7:35 pm

johnrich wrote: How was the weather for you?
It was a toss of the coin which decided the route up Binnein Mor but I'm glad I went up the scramble route.
The final descent was no problem on a good path :D

Excellent weather, thanks. 100% dry, initially sunny, later on high cloud well off the tops which kept the sun burn off, and just enough wind to keep the midges off and stop me over heating. Ever so slightly hazy though, so long distance views weren't quite perfect. Fantastic views of Ben Nevis and Aonach Beag, the very top few metres of Ben Nevis intermittently in cloud.

I was tempted by the scramble but being a solo walker thought it best to err on the side of caution.

It's a big round in terms of height gain (for us mere mortals anyway), but with close to perfect weather I wasn't going to wimp out, and apart from my stupid choice of descent route it was one of the very best Munro bagging days I've had, and even my fitness levels pleasantly surprised me.
Owen b
Walker

Munros:17   Corbetts:222
Fionas:168   Donalds:35
Sub 2000:191   Hewitts:315
Wainwrights:214   Islands:9

Postby PeteR » Mon Aug 20, 2012 9:54 pm

A nice round, this group of four :D Lots of height gain and loss and I seem to remember my legs knew about it by the end :lol:
PeteR
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:173
Fionas:121   Donalds:89+52
Sub 2000:200   Hewitts:3
Islands:9

Postby SMRussell » Tue Aug 21, 2012 11:40 am

Atmospherically misty! Looks like a good day. Also, Binnein Beag does look quite a lot like Stob Ban (Grey Corries) :think:
SMRussell

Munros:184   Corbetts:20
Fionas:16   Donalds:34
Sub 2000:21   Hewitts:122
Wainwrights:103   Islands:11

Postby mrssanta » Tue Aug 21, 2012 6:53 pm

that last picture is a cracker
mrssanta
Mountain Walker

Munros:281   Corbetts:12
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:12   Hewitts:43
Wainwrights:41   Islands:13

3 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland