walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Carlops to the Bore Stane

Carlops to the Bore Stane

Postby nigheandonn » Sun Aug 19, 2012 8:11 pm

Date walked: 18/08/2012

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

I was having a rest after last weekend's adventures - almost. Just a nice wandery walk from one side of the Pentlands to the other, dodging round the hills instead of going over them!

It all started very late, due to missing the bus I meant to get. There was a 'rural produce show' going on in the village hall in Carlops, but they were selling off all the produce by the time I stuck my head round the door.

DSCF6269.JPG
Carlin's Loup

DSCF6272.JPG
Carlops

DSCF6273.JPG
Carlops fountain

I took the path up beside the burn from beside the bridge, not the track from along near the car park, which may or may not have been a good idea - very pretty but very very muddy. And noisy with grasshoppers singing to themselves.

DSCF6279.JPG
Looking up the North Esk

DSCF6284.JPG
A green grasshopper

I met the good track before the reservoir, and the going got easier from then on. I caused a small grouse explosion at one point by opening a gate - and the air had that taste about it that means summer is ending, which wasn't there last weekend.

There was a good view of East Cairn Hill over to the west, which is on my list for the future...

DSCF6290.JPG
North Esk reservoir

I was disappointed by the Bore Stane - I was expecting an actual set up boundary stone, and all I found - after a bit of hunting - was a few bits of rocky outcrop.

But the setting is lovely - a sudden change from being able to see very little, and that all behind you, to being able to see right over Edinburgh to Fife and the highlands ahead. And maybe if you have a rocky outcrop more or less on the watershed, where no other rocks are, you don't really need to set up other stones.

DSCF6294.JPG
Over the watershed

DSCF6295.JPG
Possibly the Bore Stane

The path downhill is mostly made of logs, which I suppose is better than mostly made of mud.

DSCF6298.JPG
Kings Hill

The main problem with this walk was the long walk out - almost as far from the track junction at Listonshiels to the bus terminus at Balerno as the walk through the hills had been. There's a signpost at the junction pointing to Bavelaw, but the first part is just rough field with sometimes more or less a path, and sometimes various people's ideas of where a path might be but probably isn't, and the next part is along the edge of strips of conifer plantation, and even muddier than the path at Carlops. Still, I eventually made it to the road, and cleaned off some of the mud, and the road is long and straight but simple, with views over to the main hills.

Then because it had been so late when I started, it was 8pm when I got to the bus stop, and the bus due at 8:12 and the bus due at 8:42 turned up together about half past... but I did get home in the end!

DSCF6300.JPG
Gaps in the trees, Bavelaw

DSCF6307.JPG
Looking from the road
nigheandonn
Wanderer

Munros:19   Corbetts:9
Fionas:7   Donalds:26+10
Sub 2000:64   Hewitts:133
Wainwrights:214   Islands:34

Re: Carlops to the Bore Stane

Postby LeithySuburbs » Mon Aug 20, 2012 1:43 pm

A nice quiet part of the Pentlands :)
LeithySuburbs
Ambler

Munros:259   Corbetts:56
Fionas:29   Donalds:33
Sub 2000:41   Hewitts:14
Wainwrights:23   Islands:13

Postby nigheandonn » Mon Aug 20, 2012 2:39 pm

Very :)
I met (and saw) three people between leaving one road and getting back onto the other... was nice!
nigheandonn
Wanderer

Munros:19   Corbetts:9
Fionas:7   Donalds:26+10
Sub 2000:64   Hewitts:133
Wainwrights:214   Islands:34

Postby morag1 » Mon Aug 20, 2012 5:43 pm

Really nice walk, I always like to see reports coming in from the Pentlands :D

Glad you made it home again, Carlops is a lovely place, cheers
morag1

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland