walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Sgurr Alasdair via Coire Lagan

Sgurr Alasdair via Coire Lagan

Postby Bod » Mon Aug 20, 2012 11:25 pm

Route description: Sgùrr Alasdair

Munros included on this walk: Sgùrr Alasdair

Date walked: 10/07/2012

Time taken: 6 hours

Distance: 9.5 km

Ascent: 992m

5 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

:D :shock: :D :eh: :thumbup:
DSCN8577.JPG
The path up from Glen Brittle Campsite.
DSCN8592.JPG
Gabro, gabro and more gabro. Final approaches up to the Coire.
DSCN8603.JPG
Coire Lagan for a second time and just as amazing and special!
DSCN8620.JPG
The way up!
DSCN8624.JPG
Helmets on and it's up we go :)
DSCN8631.JPG
DSCN8633.JPG
DSCN8646.JPG
The saddle is up there somewhere? And a scary place this is with rumbling rocks and echoes, and that was with nobody else about to dislodge things.
DSCN8649.JPG
A view back down to the coire floor.
DSCN8655.JPG
We kept close to the left hand side following good advice that rocks can be dislodged from the top of Alasdair which is high up on the right.
DSCN8662.JPG
Up above the saddle height on the scramble that leads to the summit.
DSCN8663.JPG
Sgurr Thearlaich just across the gap of the Great Stone Chute from Sgurr Alasdair. Only 50-60 metres away, but out of reach for us today. Several ravens were swirling in the mist around us adding to the eerie atmosphere of the mountain :)
DSCN8666.JPG
Onwards the scramble goes for a few more minutes. Valerie felt the mountain did not want us there and was trying to ease us over its edge.....this was fancinating for me as it was her fifth day in the Cuillin with no feelings like this before. Sgurr Alasdair today certainly was foreboding and exciting!
DSCN8669.JPG
On top of Skye's highest mountain.
DSCN8670.JPG
The summit rocks.
DSCN8671.JPG
Heading back for the sanctuary of the saddle.
DSCN8672.JPG
One happy chappie!
DSCN8675.JPG
Careful does it now...
DSCN8676.JPG
The view down from the saddle!!!
DSCN8692.JPG
Mountain boots! No bog-trots here...
DSCN8693.JPG
Back down in one of my favourite places to be, must come up and bivvy-out one of these days?
DSCN8694.JPG
Coire Lagan lochan
Last edited by Bod on Sun Sep 30, 2012 6:47 pm, edited 6 times in total.
Bod
Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:67
Fionas:34   Donalds:21
Sub 2000:44   Hewitts:29
Wainwrights:61   Islands:25

Re: Sgurr Alasdair via Coire Lagan

Postby Bod » Sun Sep 30, 2012 1:14 am

One for comment and thoughts :wink: :D :D
(I had planned for a while to climb Sgurr Alasdair without 'simply' going up and down the great stone chute. But this summer Valerie and I found ourselves with an extra day after our old pals Marty and Sandy left for home, and we tackled this amazing mountain. In these conditions the rock actually feels alive and seems to move all too often :shock: .
Looking forward now to climbing Sgurr Alasdair again and combining it with familiar ground and gaining some more insight to the Traverse. The Cuillin seriously deserves trying it out in chunks whilst allowing your mind time to take it all in :crazy: :-D :-D )
Bod
Walker

Postby soapy27 » Sun Sep 30, 2012 8:36 am

When I climbed Sgur Mhic Choinnich accended via the stone chute then Collies Ledge and its certainly interesting terrain constantly moving with every step ,feels like it could all just go at any time :shock:
soapy27
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:175
Fionas:23   Donalds:8
Sub 2000:54   
Islands:23

Postby Bod » Sun Sep 30, 2012 6:52 pm

soapy27 wrote:When I climbed Sgur Mhic Choinnich accended via the stone chute then Collies Ledge and its certainly interesting terrain constantly moving with every step ,feels like it could all just go at any time :shock:

Cheers Soapy, Sgurr Mhic Choinnich is the side I already know and I would love to link it to Thearlaich and Sgurr Alasdair. Last time was the In Pinn and Mhic Choinnich and really chuffed now to have summited Sgurr Alasdair. Had glorious weather last year, so it was fun to be on a short section of the ridge in clag. I'm a Skye addict now and plan various trips every year now :wink: :D :D
Bod
Walker

Postby Johnny Corbett » Sun Sep 30, 2012 7:48 pm

Another topper Bod. I like the look of this one, all that scrambling and climbing up the ridge :D
Johnny Corbett
Mountain Walker

Munros:25   Corbetts:214
Fionas:168   Donalds:74
Sub 2000:302   Hewitts:1
Islands:14

Postby Bod » Sun Sep 30, 2012 7:57 pm

Johnny Corbett wrote:Another topper Bod. I like the look of this one, all that scrambling and climbing up the ridge :D

Cheers Johnny, it's quite a short ridge scramble from the saddle approach and not too hard, but on that day it was fairly airy! It's a fun place being in the Cuillin :crazy: :D
Bod
Walker

5 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland