walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Sunrise on Sgor Mor - mor to it than meets the eye

Sunrise on Sgor Mor - mor to it than meets the eye

Postby kevsbald » Thu Aug 23, 2012 2:50 pm

Route description: Sgòr Mòr circular, from the Linn of Dee

Corbetts included on this walk: Sgòr Mòr

Date walked: 23/08/2012

Time taken: 5 hours

Distance: 12 km

Ascent: 500m

3 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

It has been quite a few months. The Olympics were fantastic to watch but it's the ones in the background we need to thank who keep things going smoothly. Like me. :roll: On-call Olympic duty has played havoc with my summer plans and I had been limited to quick sorties here and there. In fact, I hadn't had a wild camp for over a year. My initial plans to tackle the troublesome 2, Sgarsoch and Fhidleir were massively in disarray when I crawled into Braemar at 1700 with a kaput VW. Not impressed especially considering the car was only 5 months old. 2 hours later and a manny fae Huntly came to fix it - simply a loose lead, which was connected and I was good to go. At 1915, I would maybe have a couple of hours walking and from Linn of Dee, I didn't think I'd get near the two hills and have a smooth walk back out the day after. I therefore decided to take things a little easier and catch a sunrise from Sgor Mor.
Now, there have been some fantastic trip reports from this Corbett, notable Alastair S and Kinley's. Any hopes of replicating their magnificent vista were kicked into touch when the heavens opened, just as I arrived at the Linn of Dee. The laws of physics suggest that all that rain should crush midges to the ground but somehow, they appear to hover mystically in between, while voraciously descending upon me. They didn't even let me get changed properly and I must have been parked and walking within 2 minutes. I decided to plunge through deep heather and get to high ground as fast as possible and the sweat was now mixing with the incessant downpour. This wasn't the night of relaxation I had envisaged. No matter, I ploughed on and it was incredible how quickly darkness fell. I decided to set up tent about 3 km from the summit and was delighted to get out of my damp gear and settle into my sleeping bag. My wife laughed at my 'poor me' voice and said she was just having a nice, warm bath. Thanks dear.
I listened to a few tunes and the rain and amazingly slipped off to sleep until 0500. Sometimes you need to go through the s**t to find the good stuff and I was blessed with a cracking sunrise and some unexpected views over to the 'gorms. There were a couple of pools marked into boulders, which were very interesting and it is always good to have a meander over a mountain rather than place the stone on the cairn and return as one arrives. My walk back to the car was very relaxing although I was less impressed with the ever-welcoming insect party which began the exsanguination process at the car. It wasn't the camp or Munro haul I had planned but nonetheless, it was a fantastic experience being out in the hill once again.
wh1.jpg
My lonely tent at 0520
wh2.jpg
Sunrise 1
wh3.jpg
Imaginatively titled sunrise 2
wh4.jpg
You know the script
wh5.jpg
Looking to the summit with a looong shadow
wh6.jpg
From the summit to Devil's point et al
wh7.jpg
The odd pools
wh8.jpg
The day begins
wh9.jpg
Calling Mr Mheadhoin
kevsbald
Munro compleatist

Munros:273   Corbetts:134
Fionas:82   Donalds:53
Sub 2000:16   Hewitts:17
Wainwrights:29   

Re: Sunrise on Sgor Mor - mor to it than meets the eye

Postby Clach Liath » Thu Aug 23, 2012 3:36 pm

Yes it is great when you go to sleep with the rain pouring and wake up to a sunrise; or go to sleep to a gentle sunset and wake up surrounded by mist. It feels as though you have been transported to a different world.... Nice report. :)
Clach Liath
Mountaineer

Munros:282   Corbetts:82
Fionas:37   Donalds:37
Sub 2000:129   Hewitts:240
Wainwrights:214   
Walk wish-list

Postby hills » Thu Aug 23, 2012 3:44 pm

That looks good, looking forward to doing this one, glad the car was sorted easily enough.
hills
Hill Bagger

Munros:255   Corbetts:170
Fionas:172   Donalds:88
Sub 2000:191   Hewitts:14
Wainwrights:32   Islands:34

Postby jonny616 » Thu Aug 23, 2012 4:21 pm

Beautiful photos 8)
jonny616
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:14
Fionas:2   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:17
Wainwrights:8   Islands:8

Postby Graeme D » Thu Aug 23, 2012 8:20 pm

'Tis a fine hill indeed. I enjoyed my last wild camp on the beach by Lochan na h-Earba but it these are the best kind. That's you on the trail of 100 Corbetts now! :D
Graeme D

Munros:251   Corbetts:123
Fionas:75   Donalds:22
Sub 2000:59   Hewitts:36
Wainwrights:28   Islands:6

Postby Johnny Corbett » Thu Aug 23, 2012 9:27 pm

That is something i really need to do, have a high level camp :D
Johnny Corbett
Mountain Walker

Munros:25   Corbetts:214
Fionas:168   Donalds:74
Sub 2000:302   Hewitts:1
Islands:14

Postby Lenore » Thu Aug 23, 2012 10:20 pm

Too bad about the midgies and rain but you got a good sunset to compensate for it! Nice pictures. Glad you finally managed to get away. You're not on call during the paralympics as well, are you?
Lenore
Mountaineer

Munros:13   Corbetts:4
Fionas:1   
Sub 2000:1   

Postby ChrisW » Fri Aug 24, 2012 2:45 am

Thought I'd not seen your name for a while Kev, good to see you back out there and with some style too, beautiful sunsets even if you did have to get eaten alive to get em :lol:
ChrisW
Rambler

Munros:18   Corbetts:5
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:6   

Postby Collaciotach » Fri Aug 24, 2012 7:33 am

Ah you have returned ...nice report and pics. The "Meanbh Chuileagan" ( meen av hooligan) are the very devil in the West just now and we ain't camping til Ocotber ..... no way :D
Collaciotach
Mountain Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:219
Fionas:47   Donalds:10
Sub 2000:25   
Islands:28

Postby old danensian » Sat Aug 25, 2012 11:07 pm

Marvellously moody photos from a well-snatched trip out - and "exsanguination" as well!

OD
old danensian

Munros:282   Corbetts:101
Donalds:9
Hewitts:107
Wainwrights:151   

Postby GariochTom » Sun Aug 26, 2012 12:34 pm

Beautiful pics - my favourite is 'From the summit to Devil's Point et al'.

Sgor Mor is a great viewpoint for the Cairngorms - I had a similar camp up there in May.
GariochTom
Hill Bagger

Munros:148   Corbetts:34
Fionas:9   
Sub 2000:9   Hewitts:1

Postby lenster » Mon Aug 27, 2012 11:25 pm

A great reminder that a simple up and down can be made all the better with an overnight stop. Good report.
lenster
Rambler

Munros:149   Corbetts:12
Fionas:2   Donalds:7
Sub 2000:15   Hewitts:11
Wainwrights:15   Islands:15

Postby dogplodder » Tue Aug 28, 2012 12:11 pm

Beautiful skies there. It's good to see you back! :D
dogplodder

Munros:242   Corbetts:74
Fionas:25   
Sub 2000:32   Hewitts:4
Wainwrights:9   Islands:24

3 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland