walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

1 goes for 2, 1 goes for 4 - Accidental 6 in Lawers epic

1 goes for 2, 1 goes for 4 - Accidental 6 in Lawers epic

Postby 147cjl » Thu Aug 23, 2012 6:12 pm

Munros included on this walk: An Stùc, Ben Lawers, Meall a' Choire Lèith, Meall Corranaich, Meall Garbh (Ben Lawers), Meall Greigh

Date walked: 19/08/2012

Time taken: 10 hours

Distance: 21 km

Ascent: 2066m

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Mountainlove and I arranged to meet in Killin on Sunday with a loose plan for a walk in the Lawers area. ML was keen to do Greigh, Garbh, An Stuc and Lawers and although that was ML’s plan, sadly I failed to read the instructions in typical male fashion :? . After meeting in Killin we decided to leave one car on the west side and one at the Lawers hotel where we’d begin. I duly drove all the way past the NTS car park, past the dam and parked up at the cairn on the path which would bring us back from Meall Coire Leith, with a slightly confused ML behind me.

With nothing said, we drove round and set off from the Lawers hotel as arranged and enjoyed the walk up to the first slog up Meall Greigh. The weather at this point was outstanding, blue skies and bright sunshine, though we were aware there was a small risk of some rain later on that evening. Suncream duly applied. By the time we reached half way up Meall Greigh I could see the skies to the south looking a bit ominous, but we were now committed come whatever weather.

DSC02308.JPG
Lawers Burn

DSC02307.JPG
Sunny start

ML was still pondering how many we were actually doing – it did cross my mind that doing 6 in a day was a bit of a mission, but thought that’d be fine nonetheless, if that’s what ML wanted to do to. Little did I know her plan was only the 4, missing out Beinn Ghlas and returning to the NTS car park hence the puzzlement at why we’d parked so far up the road.

Eventually the question was asked, “so...what’s the route?”. I cheerily replied that we’ll do the 4, go round the back of Ghlas and then do Corrainach and Leith. This was news to ML, however wasn’t an issue and we carried on regardless. I was still oblivious to the fact that the plan had ever been any different. :lol:

The top of Meall Garbh held a little surprise in store for us, as there were a number of timber fence posts waiting to be used (they were their last year!).

DSC02315.JPG
top of Meall Garbh

Not wanting to miss some good photo ops ML soon had one picked up and brandished it like a spear as if hunting for lunch, along with a couple of gym moves. After a bit of tossing the caber, I couldn’t resist – (boys will be boys) and before long the piece of timber was between my legs and held triumphantly aloft to hoots of laughter from ML. No photo posted as my mum will probably read this. What I didn’t know is that the group of three who we met at the summit hadn’t gone far, they were eating their lunch round the corner, probably wondering if we were on day release :roll: :crazy: . A walk with ML seems to involve a good bit of nonsense along the way, which makes for a fun day out.

DSC02323.JPG
Gym move

DSC02319.JPG
Catching lunch?

DSC02324.JPG
The Caber

I had done these in November last year and at the bottom of An Stuc had spent 20 minutes wondering if I should go for it. As a relative novice at the time it looked pretty daunting, this time I thought how easy it looked and couldn’t believe I’d even had an issue with it. While I followed the standard route, true to form ML sought out a harder scramble and we were both at the top in no time.

DSC02334.JPG
An Stuc

DSC02336.JPG
Halfway up

DSC02344.JPG
ML route finding

The top of Lawers also held some laughs in store. The cloud had moved in and there were a couple of ladies at the top who marvelled at ML’s planking ability and had a chuckle at my feeble attempt. In no time, one of these ladies, with a bit of egging on from us gave it ago...we left the summit to the sound of squeals and laughter as these two discovered the delights of planking for themselves :clap: . As we followed the obvious path off Lawers I suddenly thought it was odd that the wind had completely changed direction, and the feeling set in that something just wasn’t right. After a while the ridge narrowed and didn’t resemble what I remembered of the path. A quick check on ML’s GPS showed that we’d come off in the wrong direction – SE instead of SW. A wee reminder that in clag there’s no harm in taking a quick bearing at the top.

DSC02354.JPG
Nil points for style

DSC02357.JPG
ML shows how it's done

Soon back on the path we skipped round the back of Beinn Ghlas, by now in pouring rain and cloud all around. ML offered the option of just doing Ghlas as well - my reply was to offer to sit down and watch if she wanted to go for it. The path up the south of Corrainnach was easy to find and pretty good quality and didn;t take long to get to the top.

DSC02360.JPG
Still smiling in the rain, bottom of Meall Corrainach

Leith was straightforward too, but even though I knew we should stay right to get on to Leith it’s amazing how the hill draws you left, along the wrong ridge. Corrected again we headed up to the pudding of a munro that Meall a Choire Leith is. What a rubbish dull munro. By this point I was struggling, my heart was pounding, my lungs were bursting and we were both pretty soaked. We decided then that there should be officially two munro lists – good munros and rubbish munros like these two.

DSC02362.JPG
On Mars?

DSC02361.JPG
ML on Meall Corrainach

The long walk back to the car was far less fun than any of the rest of the walk. Soaking wet, midge infested, I fell on my backside and stepped knee deep into the bog, much to ML’s amusement :o . At this stage the only thought was PINT and it kept us going. The mantra was CPP: Car, Pub, Pint. I was gutted that where I expected the road and the car to be, there was a river to cross and another rise to walk over before getting out of the quagmire. I’ve never been so happy to see my car, and chips and pints were happily scoffed in the cosy Lawers hotel. The good news is that because of the misunderstanding over the route, neither of us have to go back there again. 8)

DSC02374.JPG
The Bog

DSC02377.JPG
Reward

One to remember!

New_Route(2).gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

Last edited by 147cjl on Tue Jul 21, 2015 9:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
147cjl
Munro compleatist

Munros:51   Corbetts:1
Fionas:2   Donalds:4
Sub 2000:8   Hewitts:10
Wainwrights:3   

Re: 1 goes for 2, 1 goes for 4 - Accidental 6 in Lawers epic

Postby LaurenAlexandra » Thu Aug 23, 2012 8:32 pm

Sounds like a doozy of a day! Well done. :clap:
LaurenAlexandra
Mountaineer

Munros:1   
Sub 2000:2   

Postby Fudgie » Fri Aug 24, 2012 10:04 am

I had a great if tiring day on the same range when I just took it as it came and changed my plans as I went along. Sometimes those are the most enjoyable days :thumbup:
Fudgie
Mountain Walker

Munros:100   Corbetts:20
Fionas:3   Donalds:7

Postby Mountainlove » Fri Aug 24, 2012 11:28 am

One to remember indeed :lol: :lol: Specially after 'nearly' forgetting the keys for the second car ... :lol: :lol:

Or your 'taking a rest' ...as one could not get any more soaking wet :clap: :clap:
DSC02370.JPG
Mountainlove
Munro compleatist

Munros:90   Corbetts:54
Fionas:7   Donalds:10
Sub 2000:3   
Islands:10

Postby pollyh33 » Sat Aug 25, 2012 10:27 am

Well done you two on this epic excursion :clap:

Lots of fun and frolics despite the dreichy keichy weather- loved this :thumbup: :thumbup:
pollyh33
Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:18
Fionas:5   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:1   

Postby 147cjl » Sat Aug 25, 2012 6:41 pm

Thanks Lauren, was still a right laugh though and as you say Fudgie, sometimes they're the best ones. Cheers Polly, was still worthwhile despite the rain. :D

...and I really need to thank Mountainlove for posting the pic of me lying in the mud :lol:
147cjl
Munro compleatist

Munros:51   Corbetts:1
Fionas:2   Donalds:4
Sub 2000:8   Hewitts:10
Wainwrights:3   

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland