walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Lurcher's Crag

How did you rate this walk?

1 - Uninspiring
No votes
2 - Pleasant enough
20%
3 - A good walk
40%
4 - Excellent outing
40%
5 - A total classic
No votes

Total votes : 5

Lurcher's Crag

Postby canisp » Thu Jul 17, 2008 5:49 pm

Date walked: 17/07/2008

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

On Monday the 14 July 2008 around 11:00 am i set off for Lurcher’s Crag, a Munro Top. From the Cairngorm car park i followed the path for 3.5 km’s to Grid Ref 977030, then meandered down to the cliff edge at 970028. From here a short hike up a boulder field put me on the summit.

Looking back to the Corbett Meall a’Bhuachaille

Looking to Cairn Lochan, a Munro Top

Looking into Coire an Lochain

Cairngorm

Looking into Coire an Lochain

Lurcher’s Crag from around 973028

Looking south down the Lairig Ghru from around 970028, with the Devils Point being the small dark peak upper centre

Lurcher’s Crag from around 970030

Lurcher’s Crag from around 970030

Nearing the summit of Lurcher’s Crag

Looking south through the Lairig Ghru

The summit is a great viewpoint, a place to linger as it’s only 80 minutes back to the car park, and if your lucky you may see tornado jets flying below you through the Lairig Ghru. As the wind was quite strong i soon headed off back to the car. This is a good hike if you want a short day out, with most of the way on a good track.
canisp

Munros:281   Corbetts:191
Fionas:28   Donalds:12
Sub 2000:3   Hewitts:195
Wainwrights:213   

Re: Lurcher's Crag

Postby bigbertie » Thu Aug 21, 2008 9:35 pm

your usual high standard of photos, canisp! One of the things I enjoy most about this site is seeing photos of unusual views of places, and different photos of places I already know - it reawakens enthusiasm. I feel another trip to the Cairngorms coming on.
bigbertie

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland