walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Morrone before home - Besom Jimmy will keep for another day!

Morrone before home - Besom Jimmy will keep for another day!

Postby Graeme D » Fri Aug 24, 2012 9:37 pm

Corbetts included on this walk: Morrone

Date walked: 12/08/2012

Time taken: 2.5 hours

Distance: 11 km

Ascent: 573m

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

The Sunday of the Braemar meet and another solo walk as most people seemed to be heading for home or straight to the nearest A&E Department for an emergency double foot and liver transplant. Pioneering stuff indeed.

I was swithering - head north to Geallaig Hill, or maybe a bit further north to Mona Gowan and Morven; drive round to the duck pond and do Morrone; or simply head home. It was too nice for the latter option and again, I couldn't be bothered driving further north, so Morrone it was. I didn't fancy a straight up and down by the same route so I opted for the circular route.

I parked by the duckpond where I had spent a January night holed up in the car, and headed up the track towards the view indicator and the Morrone sign.

Morrone across the duckpond

Carn na Drochaide from the view indicator

And Creag Bhalg from the same spot

Signage points the way

From there it was a straightforward ascent on an increasingly broad track to the summit with its array of hardware.

Braemar and Creag Choinnich

Braemar and the River Dee from higher up

Culardoch standing out

Towards Beinn a' Bhuird and Ben Avon

Summit mast in the distance

I caught up with the rear guard of a large group just before the summit, and when I got to the summit, it was standing room only as the majority of the group were already there.

Catching the Aberdonians

I didn't fancy lingering, so I took a few pics and headed down the landrover access track to pick up the minor road near Auchallater.

Loch Callater from the summit

Cairngorms

Summit radio relay hut

It's hoaching on the other side of all that stuff!

Starting the descent

About a third of the way down I met two men and two women who were the less adventurous members of the large group, who turned out to be an Aberdonian walking club. Fit like min!

Looking back to the summit

Down to Auchallater

Onto the back road north to Braemar

One last view this weekend to the tors of Ben Avon, constant landmarks over the last 3 days

Anyway, that was about that. Got back to the car and drove back down into Braemar and out onto the main road south, feeling just a little sad that another cracking meet was over. Cheers folks! Here's to many more. :D

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

Graeme D

Munros:251   Corbetts:124
Fionas:75   Donalds:22
Sub 2000:62   Hewitts:36
Wainwrights:28   Islands:6

Re: Morrone before home - Besom Jimmy will keep for another

Postby SusieThePensioner » Sat Aug 25, 2012 9:13 pm

A nice uncomplicated walk to do before heading for home! :D
You get good views from there, enjoyed your photos :thumbup:
SusieThePensioner

Munros:6   Corbetts:3
Fionas:4   Donalds:7
Sub 2000:3   Hewitts:107
Wainwrights:156   

Postby Johnny Corbett » Mon Aug 27, 2012 10:43 am

Glad to see someone was still fit to walk after the meet :lol: I took the easier up and down option for this one, which was the way you came down :D
Johnny Corbett
Mountain Walker

Munros:25   Corbetts:214
Fionas:168   Donalds:74
Sub 2000:302   Hewitts:1
Islands:14

Postby rockhopper » Mon Aug 27, 2012 11:17 pm

A nice walk Graeme - looks like you made the right decision not just to go straight home - cheers :)
rockhopper

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:136   Donalds:89+20
Sub 2000:16   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:3   Islands:20

Postby basscadet » Tue Aug 28, 2012 8:29 am

Aye, that was a good effort to be bothered going out on the Sunday :wink:
Looks like it was worth it for the views :)
I have been over this one a few times.. If you are bussing it, the Morrone ridge is a good way to get into Glen Ey, and there are some good bivvy's further along in commanding positions above clunae water.. 8)
basscadet
Munro compleatist

Munros:84   Corbetts:52
Fionas:18   Donalds:8
Sub 2000:34   Hewitts:13
Wainwrights:17   Islands:21

Postby ChrisW » Tue Aug 28, 2012 7:06 pm

Good to see you making the most of the weekend Graeme and squeezing in this little beauty on the way home, seeing the area around Braemar brings back lovely memories for me, I think I'm going to have to come back for a visit :wink:
ChrisW
Rambler

Munros:18   Corbetts:5
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:6   

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland