walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Beinn Dearg group on peanuts!

Beinn Dearg group on peanuts!

Postby pigeon » Sat Aug 25, 2012 3:15 pm

Munros included on this walk: Beinn Dearg (Ullapool), Cona' Mheall, Eididh nan Clach Geala, Fionn Bheinn, Meall nan Ceapraichean

Date walked: 23/08/2012

Distance: 33 km

Ascent: 2406m

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

A few days left of my summer hols so it was off to Ullapool for a couple of nights.Drove up on Thursday morning stopping at Achnasheen to walk Fionn Beinn,seemed like a straightforward hill for a quick up and down and it was,a wee bit wet at the start but soon got better at Cragan nan Laogh.
Fionn Bheinn and Beinn Dearg 002.JPG
Achnasheen
Could see a guy ahead of me,looked like he just touched the trig point and about turned,when i spoke to him he said it was thick clag and nothing to see and it was shrouded in cloud when i reached the top but with the strong wind i felt it would blow over given time.
Fionn Bheinn and Beinn Dearg 016.JPG
Sat for a good half hour and the wind kept the cloud cover moving enough to give me my first ever views of Slioch,the Fisherfields ,Beinn Eighe and Liatach,need to get up there soon looks ace.
Fionn Bheinn and Beinn Dearg 018.JPG
Slioch
Fionn Bheinn and Beinn Dearg 021.JPG
Fionn Beinn and distant Fisherfield
Fionn Bheinn and Beinn Dearg 031.JPG
Beinn Eighe and Litach
Back down to the car in about 3 and 3 quarter hours,scooted up to Ullapool,pitched the tent,few pints ,fish supper,watch fitba then retire to campsite. :D
Friday,Beinn Dearg and pals.
Set off early for this one ,think i was on the forestry path for just after 6,headed for Eididh Nan Clach Geala first ,more or less got to the top without stopping due to midge attacks and was looking forward to some grub.
Fionn Bheinn and Beinn Dearg 034.JPG
Through the woods
Fionn Bheinn and Beinn Dearg 040.JPG
An Teallach
Fionn Bheinn and Beinn Dearg 049.JPG
An Teallach again and some watchful deer
Had packed plenty scran for this hike,pasta,sandwiches,boil in the bag meatballs,chocolate bars and fruit but on opening the rucsack the food bag was no where to be seen.AW NAW ,schoolboy error,i'd left it in the Vauxhall Veyron which was now some five miles back down the glen :( :roll: :oops: .Luckily i did have a tin of salted peanuts and plenty Lucozade and water so i'm thinking i should be ok for the rest of the day.
Fionn Bheinn and Beinn Dearg 054.JPG
Eididh nan Clach Geala and it's 2 cairns
Fionn Bheinn and Beinn Dearg 062.JPG
thank god for peanuts
Fionn Bheinn and Beinn Dearg 056.JPG
more deer
No use greetin' about it and it was on to the second hill,Meall nan Ceapraichean,got close to a few deer down at the lochans and spotted a wild goat on the way ,had a quick peanut break and then down again to the foot of the wall and the stony climb up to Cona Mheall.
Fionn Bheinn and Beinn Dearg 060.JPG
Beinn Dearg from Meall nan Ceapraichean
Fionn Bheinn and Beinn Dearg 061.JPG
Great views here down to Coire Ghranda and up to Beinn Dearg,found the ascent and descent of Cona Mheall a right pain though and was beggining to tire a bit.
Fionn Bheinn and Beinn Dearg 068.JPG
Loch Prille
Fionn Bheinn and Beinn Dearg 069.JPG
Beinn Dearg from Cona Mheall
Fionn Bheinn and Beinn Dearg 070.JPG
Coire Ghranda
ANother peanut break before the steep climb to Beinn Dearg where i scoffed the last of the nuts,a bit clagged in up here so no hanging about before descending to the lochans.
Fionn Bheinn and Beinn Dearg 071.JPG
follow the wall
By this time i was feeling it a bit ,no sure if it was lack of food or just having been pretty idle for the last couple of weeks but i was glad to be headed downwards with all of the climbing over.
Fionn Bheinn and Beinn Dearg 072.JPG
up loch Broom to Ullapool
Fionn Bheinn and Beinn Dearg 073.JPG
Seana Bhraigh,one for another day
Fionn Bheinn and Beinn Dearg 074.JPG
hills North of Ullapool
Fionn Bheinn and Beinn Dearg 075.JPG
Beinn Dearg's big cairn
A wee heavy shower on the way down but all in all mus'nt grumble ,got some great views at times,seen plenty of deer (and a goat),quite a few midges though,even on the tops due to the lack of wind.A great set of hills these ,back in the car after 9 hours,scoot back up to Ullapool,shower,change ,few beers ,curry,bed ,home. :thumbup:
pigeon
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:127
Fionas:41   Donalds:39+7
Sub 2000:23   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:1   Islands:2
Walk wish-list

Re: Beinn Dearg group on peanuts!

Postby rockhopper » Sat Aug 25, 2012 4:01 pm

A good trip pigeon :thumbup: - similar to you, I walked up Fionn Bheinn after the drive up before going on to some other hills 8) but you certainly saw a lot more than I did ! Would agree with you - the Beinn Dearg group make a great set of hills with some stunning views....but I think I'd want a lot more to eat than some peanuts ! Well done - enjoyed your WR - cheers :)
rockhopper

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:136   Donalds:89+20
Sub 2000:16   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:3   Islands:20

Postby Frigate » Sat Aug 25, 2012 8:48 pm

Welcome back, was waiting for the WR for Kilimanjaro.

Never mind the bears, peanuts = flock of sparrows
Frigate
Munro compleatist

Munros:137   Corbetts:12
Fionas:2   Donalds:5
Sub 2000:8   Hewitts:9
Islands:12

Postby Graeme D » Sat Aug 25, 2012 11:00 pm

Never done these but always liked the look of Coire Ghranda when I've seen photos of it. Did you not have a good feast when you got back to the car? :lol:
Graeme D

Munros:251   Corbetts:123
Fionas:75   Donalds:22
Sub 2000:59   Hewitts:36
Wainwrights:28   Islands:6

Postby soulminer » Sun Aug 26, 2012 8:26 am

A fine quartet to up your tally :)
I don't eat much when walking- don't like to stop too long, so I like the rations you survived on :lol:
Plenty of liquids, a piece of fruit and something with salt added- crisps/nuts and that is me sorted, well apart from Wine gums/Midget gems 8) :lol:
Cheers.
soulminer

Postby jonny616 » Sun Aug 26, 2012 3:44 pm

All praise the peanuts. Looks a good trip. nice one :clap: :clap: :clap:
jonny616
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:14
Fionas:2   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:17
Wainwrights:8   Islands:8

Postby monty » Sun Aug 26, 2012 9:54 pm

Nice one Pigeon. Not quite sure your diet will catch on though hahaha
monty

Postby Johnny Corbett » Mon Aug 27, 2012 10:23 am

I can't believe you did this walk on salted peanuts, if it was me i'd need about 50litres of water to go with them :D
Johnny Corbett
Mountain Walker

Munros:25   Corbetts:214
Fionas:168   Donalds:74
Sub 2000:302   Hewitts:1
Islands:14

Postby PeteR » Mon Aug 27, 2012 12:48 pm

Nice report and pictures pigeon :D I once did the Grey Corries from mGlen Nevis on a single cereal bar, when I realised my lunch was sitting on the kitchen worktop :shock: I was very hungry at the end, so you did well to do the Deargs on a box of salted peanuts.

I was up Ullapool way doing the very same hills as you over the weekend - except in a different order. I'll post a couple of reports and pictures eventually, but the best bit of my Deargs walk was the hot shower at the campsite :lol: I certainly didn't get any views from the three of the four summits I managed. Did get wet though :lol: As a result of my experience I'd vowed never to return, but seeing the views you got I think I will have to give them another go on a better day.

Fionn Beinn was a bit of a slog up the side of the hill, but the views all round more than made up for the effort :D A nice little hill I thought.
PeteR
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:173
Fionas:120   Donalds:89+52
Sub 2000:200   Hewitts:3
Islands:9

Postby pigeon » Mon Aug 27, 2012 5:18 pm

rockhopper wrote:A good trip pigeon :thumbup: - similar to you, I walked up Fionn Bheinn after the drive up before going on to some other hills 8) but you certainly saw a lot more than I did ! Would agree with you - the Beinn Dearg group make a great set of hills with some stunning views....but I think I'd want a lot more to eat than some peanuts ! Well done - enjoyed your WR - cheers :)
Must remember the grub for my return to do Seana Bhraigh,it looks a long hike :roll:
Frigate wrote:Welcome back, was waiting for the WR for Kilimanjaro.

Never mind the bears, peanuts = flock of sparrows
Kilimanjaro is getting done on my 50th birthday,you've got ten years to get fit :lol: :lol:
Graeme D wrote:Never done these but always liked the look of Coire Ghranda when I've seen photos of it. Did you not have a good feast when you got back to the car? :lol:
Aye too right :lol: :lol:
soulminer wrote:A fine quartet to up your tally :)
I don't eat much when walking- don't like to stop too long, so I like the rations you survived on :lol:
Plenty of liquids, a piece of fruit and something with salt added- crisps/nuts and that is me sorted, well apart from Wine gums/Midget gems 8) :lol:
Cheers.
Naw soulminer,i like ma grub on the hill likes,been taking salted nuts to stave off cramp,seems to be working :wink:
jonny616 wrote:All praise the peanuts. Looks a good trip. nice one :clap: :clap: :clap:
Cheers jonny :thumbup:
monty wrote:Nice one Pigeon. Not quite sure your diet will catch on though hahaha
Won't forget them sannies again,lesson learned :lol:
Johnny Corbett wrote:I can't believe you did this walk on salted peanuts, if it was me i'd need about 50litres of water to go with them :D
Guzzled a full 3 litres of water in the bladder and 2 bottles of lucozade and various gulps from the burns,so 50 litres will be no far off :lol: :lol: :lol:
pigeon
Munro compleatist

Walk wish-list

Postby pigeon » Mon Aug 27, 2012 5:24 pm

PeteR wrote:Nice report and pictures pigeon :D I once did the Grey Corries from mGlen Nevis on a single cereal bar, when I realised my lunch was sitting on the kitchen worktop :shock: I was very hungry at the end, so you did well to do the Deargs on a box of salted peanuts.

I was up Ullapool way doing the very same hills as you over the weekend - except in a different order. I'll post a couple of reports and pictures eventually, but the best bit of my Deargs walk was the hot shower at the campsite :lol: I certainly didn't get any views from the three of the four summits I managed. Did get wet though :lol: As a result of my experience I'd vowed never to return, but seeing the views you got I think I will have to give them another go on a better day.

Fionn Beinn was a bit of a slog up the side of the hill, but the views all round more than made up for the effort :D A nice little hill I thought.
Cheers pete,did you stay at Broomfield campsite,20p for a shower!!!!Bloody scandelous :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: Did you walk on Saturday because my plan was to do either Wyvis or Am Faochagach on the way home but the weather was grim so gave it a miss. :(
pigeon
Munro compleatist

Walk wish-list

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland