walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

South Glenshiel Ridge (1st 4, E-W)

South Glenshiel Ridge (1st 4, E-W)

Postby JonetCol » Sat Aug 25, 2012 8:08 pm

Munros included on this walk: Aonach Air Chrith, Creag a'Mhàim, Druim Shionnach, Maol chinn-dearg

Date walked: 18/08/2012

Time taken: 7 hours

Distance: 23 km

Ascent: 1829m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

It was already warm as I set off from the Cluanie Inn at 10 am, having camped overnight at Shiel Bridge. I opted to take the stalker’s path up Creag a’ Mhaim’s SE slopes, which meant a helluva long lead in - but at least it was a chance to walk off some of the stiffness from the previous day’s drive from Tyneside.
SAM_1814.JPG
The way in..
It also offered the luxury of more time to enjoy the views E along Loch Cluanie.
SAM_1815.JPG
Along Loch Cluanie

Just as I was beginning to wonder if I’d gone past it, I came across the path and began the initially gentle, but increasingly steep (and gruelling in the heat) ascent to the summit of Creag a, Mhaim.
SAM_1816.JPG
On top of C a M
The slog was well worth it as there were superb views all around, with the ridge clearly visible ahead.
SAM_1819.JPG
View N to L Cluanie
SAM_1820.JPG
to the NE..
SAM_1822.JPG
SE....
SAM_1824.JPG
SW..
1824.JPG[/attachment]
SAM_1825.JPG
W along the ridge...

After a drink I headed steeply down towards a level ridge then had a shortish climb to the top of my second Munro, Druim Shionnach. The path forked Towards the summit. I took the right, which follows the top of the ridge, as it was reportedly narrow and I wanted to use it to test myself for the subsequent descent from Aonach Air Chrith – which was said to be even trickier. The upper path was indeed narrow, airy and steep sided, requiring a little scrambling, but not unduly difficult, especially as it was short in length
SAM_1826.JPG
on top of DS
SAM_1827.JPG
back towards Ca M
I didn’t stay long on the summit, as the views weren’t markedly different from the C a M – continuing W instead - for the large dorsal fin of Aonach air Chrith.
SAM_1829.JPG
W to AaC
I found the steady descent, then climb to the summit, an excellent ridge walk – relaxing enough to enjoy the views, the solitude – the whole experience. After a snack at the summit, I battened down all loose items for the descent - which I’d been warned was tricky ¬– and set off.
SAM_1830.JPG
on top of AaC with DS in background
There were some scrambly bits along the narrow ridge - and you certainly couldn’t afford to be complacent, but I didn’t find it as airy as the upper path on the DS ridge – just a lot longer!
SAM_1831.JPG
looking W along ridge from AaC
That said it was dry and still – it would be a totally different prospect in wet and/or windy weather.
SAM_1832.JPG
looking back after the descent from Aac
SAM_1833.JPG
and again...it is big and narrow...

Another gentle ridge walk followed before the steep climb up Maoll Chin-dearg. It was now early afternoon and very hot and I was running out of water (having consumed over 2litres). In my rather tired state I mistakenly thought I was nearing the top of MCd when I was in fact still on a subsidiary peak - probably the 913m point on the ridge. Disappointed, I carried on to reach the summit of Maol Chin-dearg, after along steep climb. I was relieved to have reached my last peak of the day and I stopped to rest and enjoy the sense of achievement.
SAM_1834.JPG
on top of MCd
I find I need to pace myself more these days, so doing the whole ridge was never on. I have to add that I both admire and respect anyone doing all seven in one go, especially on such a hot day. The return down the N slopes of Druim Coire nan Eirecheanach was gentle at first, then steep (and rocky at times) and seemed relentless. My joy at reaching the A87 was tempered by the prospect of a 4km walk back to the car. When I reached the car I devoured a litre of water before heading back to Shiel Bridge. On the way I saw a guy in hill walking gear plodding tiredly down the road, so I stopped to give him a lift back to his car.
Attachments
SAM_1823.JPG
South...
JonetCol
Munro compleatist

Munros:112   Corbetts:1

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland