walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

A Misty Mullach Clach a' Bhlair

A Misty Mullach Clach a' Bhlair

Postby Jambo235 » Sat Aug 25, 2012 9:57 pm

Route description: Mullach Clach a' Bhlàir

Munros included on this walk: Mullach Clach a' Bhlàir

Date walked: 04/07/2012

Time taken: 6 hours

Distance: 21.5 km

Ascent: 875m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

I had the honour of being joined by my dad for this walk, not only does he bring good company but also a car, useful considering this impoverished student is yet to learn to drive! It did mean we argued about walking to fast/slow, but it was also useful to have a second checker when it came to navigation. The weather was grim and we decided to go off route for a small section.

We parked at the standard car park just up the road from Auchlean and used the obvious path up through the forest and onto the northern slopes of Allt Fhearnagan. Sadly the clouds surrounded us when we reached the height of 600m - this wasn't going to be a day for pictures or stunning views. The track continues all the way to Carn Ban More where we decided to get a bit of bearing and pacing practise and avoid the land rover track. I'm undecided on building paths into hills - it makes them more accessible for non-walkers and less adventurous people (like my mother) but ruins the remoteness and difficulty that brings the sense of achievement for the advanced walker.

The view from the plateau:

The route we cut across the Mor turned out to be very boggy, it appears flat land next to rivers at high altitude where it rains a lot can be quite wet - even if it isn't marked as marsh or bog on the OS map. Lesson learned. However, in very low visibility we did arrive exactly where we planned which was the only other learning point of the day. We caught up with the Land Rover track, had lunch in a little hollow next to the Ford and plodded along the track all the way to Mullach Clach a' Bhlair where we were greeted by views that consisted of the cairn and a bit of moss within a 5 metre radius.

We headed down a different route, next to the Coire Garbhlach, which was absolutely stunning. The views weren't amazingly spectacular but comfortably beat staring through mist. We followed the track down to Glen Feshie and walked along the track next to the river. I found the last bit the hardest to navigate - there were tracks pointing in all sorts of directions which weren't mapped on my very old 1:50,000 OS map of the area. But we followed our nose and came out fine. I found the last section a bit of a slog, whilst it was very picturesque, I was pretty tired after a long walk and simply wanted to get a seat in the car!

Coire Garblach:

Not the best panaramic shot you'll ever see:

Sadly the weather let us down, but I don't think it was going to be the most spectacular munro anyway. Easily accessible because of the Land Rover track so a good challenge for first timers (who are relatively fit).
Attachments

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

Jambo235
Stravaiging

Munros:282   Corbetts:17
Fionas:10   Donalds:13
Sub 2000:15   Hewitts:35
Wainwrights:46   Islands:25

Re: A Misty Mullach Clach a' Bhlair

Postby skuk007 » Mon Aug 27, 2012 2:58 pm

Nice report Jambo, shame about the weather.
I'm thinking of going back to the Cairngorms next time I visit so may very well do this one.

Wish I could get my dad out walking with me, he prefers his slippers to boots though.
skuk007
Mountain Walker

Munros:44   
Hewitts:8
Wainwrights:16   

Postby Jambo235 » Mon Aug 27, 2012 5:59 pm

Cheers, I just tell my dad that spending a day in the garden is what his dad would be doing on a nice day and wind him up about being old. Plus, he's far to competitive to let his son catch up on the Munro count!

If you're feeling fit and the weather is nice, then when you get to Carn Ban Mor head north and you can climb Sgor Gaoith pretty quickly. It's got great views of the loch to the east of the summit and towards the rest of the Cairngorms. The only reason we didn't was both of us have already climbed it and because of the mist there's no views to merit revisiting the summit.

Depending on what summits you've already done and how confident you with navigation, there are vastly more exciting things to do in the Cairngorms than Mullach Clach a' Bhlair as it's basically a Land Rover track all the way.
Jambo235
Stravaiging

Postby ed_hill » Tue Aug 28, 2012 6:55 pm

Walked Clach a'Bhlair this Sunday, weather was a bit better than you had by the sounds of it! Did it via the coire garblach and took in Sgor Gaoith too. Was a great day!
ed_hill
Munro compleatist

Munros:236   Corbetts:18
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:5   
Islands:7

Postby Jambo235 » Tue Aug 28, 2012 10:19 pm

Sound, Sunday was an odd day for weather wasn't it! As cloudy as a steam room on Saturday, gorgeous on Sunday, pouring on Monday and mind-numbingly windy today. Good effort to get both summits in, whilst the plateau is pretty flat (hence the name) that's a fair few kms to do.
Jambo235
Stravaiging

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland