walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

50 on Beinn a'Bheithir

50 on Beinn a'Bheithir

Postby Stuart Angus » Mon Aug 27, 2012 6:22 pm

Route description: Beinn a' Bheithir via Schoolhouse Ridge

Munros included on this walk: Sgòrr Dhearg (Beinn a' Bheithir), Sgòrr Dhònuill (Beinn a' Bheithir)

Date walked: 26/08/2012

Time taken: 6 hours

Distance: 15 km

Ascent: 1300m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

This was our Ullapool weekend where Stevo would hit his 100 and I would get to 50 on An Teallach, Unfortunatetly our best laid plans didn't quite work out like that, a family emergency forces me to call off late on Thursday but by Saturday family crisis under control :crazy: I look to the weather knowing one of my mates and his girlfriend are thinking about going up to Loch Lomond to do some Munros on Sunday and after a quick phone call I'm back on for hillwalking this weekend and I've persuaded them them to do Beinn a'Bheithir..........granted it's not An Teallach but it's an awesome place too and it's still gonna be a great place to hit my 50 none the less :D
We parked up at the Gleann a Chaolais forrestry commision carpark and followed the very well marked path up through the forrest out to the open hillside. We decided to do Sgorr Dhonuill first as my mates girlfriend wanted to get the ledge on this out the way and not let it spoil the rest of the walk. We met 2 guys from Aberdeen :wave: coming down and watched them decend to see the route but it didn't look like they were hanging on for dear life or anything like that and indeed they confirmed as much when talking to us. This gee'd Laura up and up we went. I have to say at this point, the exposed path is there but it's not the main path anymore, walkers have really created another path over the rocks just to the left and above it so at no point do you need to be truly exposed so don't let it put you off but as others have said, the exposed path is actually quite wide.................either way the choice is yours.
IMG_0021.JPG
View up to Sgorr Dhonuill

IMG_006.JPG
We met the two chaps from Aberdeen around here, you can just about make them out I think!

IMG_0009.JPG
Three Amigo's at the top:)

IMG_0001.JPG
View down to Ballachuilish

Spent a wee while chatting to a family at the top and then "buggerlugs" from Cumbernauld :wave: before heading over to Sgorr Dhearg.
IMG_0036.JPG
Mini & Laura at the top of Sgorr Dhearg

The cloud really drew in at this point so not much more in the way of photo's but it was an excellent day and I hit 50 in style........in Glencoe.

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

Stuart Angus

Munros:81   Corbetts:6
Fionas:3   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:8   Hewitts:3
Wainwrights:4   

Re: 50 on Beinn a'Bheithir

Postby LeithySuburbs » Mon Aug 27, 2012 6:35 pm

50 - the first real landmark 8) :clap: . Great mountain to do it on as well :) .
LeithySuburbs
Ambler

Munros:259   Corbetts:56
Fionas:29   Donalds:33
Sub 2000:41   Hewitts:14
Wainwrights:23   Islands:13

Postby Alcorf » Tue Aug 28, 2012 11:31 pm

It sure was a busy day up there. My son and I talked to you on your way down Sgorr Dhonuill (we were doing the two the other way round) and you told us the path down to the woods was easy to find. - It wasn't! -We spent about an hour tramping around in the bog you warned us about, but eventually we found our way to the main track. Nevertheless, a great day out and a couple of crackers on such a clear day. Congratulations on your 50, by the way, it'll be a while before I get there at this rate!
Alcorf
Mountain Walker

Munros:69   Corbetts:8
Fionas:5   Donalds:4
Sub 2000:9   Hewitts:15
Wainwrights:12   

Postby Stuart Angus » Wed Aug 29, 2012 10:59 am

Alcorf wrote:It sure was a busy day up there. My son and I talked to you on your way down Sgorr Dhonuill (we were doing the two the other way round) and you told us the path down to the woods was easy to find. - It wasn't! -We spent about an hour tramping around in the bog you warned us about, but eventually we found our way to the main track. Nevertheless, a great day out and a couple of crackers on such a clear day. Congratulations on your 50, by the way, it'll be a while before I get there at this rate!

Ooops, sorry maybe it was just because I came up that way, always makes it easier if returning by the same route. Anyway, you made it out in one piece and that's the main thing despite the bog :D It was good chatting with you, you'll be at 50 before you know it, I'm looking to my next 50 now 8)
Stuart Angus

Munros:81   Corbetts:6
Fionas:3   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:8   Hewitts:3
Wainwrights:4   

Postby Johnny Corbett » Wed Aug 29, 2012 4:54 pm

A great choice for your fiftyith and Stevos hundreth. This is a superb walk and a cracking day you got for it :D
Johnny Corbett
Mountain Walker

Munros:25   Corbetts:214
Fionas:168   Donalds:74
Sub 2000:302   Hewitts:1
Islands:14

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland