walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Ben Ledi

Ben Ledi

Postby Daver64 » Wed Aug 29, 2012 10:36 am

Corbetts included on this walk: Ben Ledi

Date walked: 25/07/2009

Time taken: 6 hours

Distance: 10 km

Ascent: 760m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Ben Ledi: Jenny's Hat-trick Part I

well, what did I know ? She did it! And, I couldn't have been more proud. 8 years old, and standing on top of a mountain just 18 feet short of Munro status. Wow !
"No darling, you're too little.", had been my response 12 months earlier, when Jen first asked if she could climb Ben Ledi, having seen the signposts behind our cabin. When I said, "Maybe next year, if you still want to." I was convinced, of course, that she would forget, but no. And so it was, that with clearly understood rules about turning back without argument if Daddy thought she was getting tired, that we set out.
We left Alison and Fiona to return after elevenses, and pushed on, first to the bealach and then on to the summit. I could not get over how cheerful Jenny was all the way to the top. She loved the attention she got from other walkers, and I must confess, so did I.

Near the summit, she got chatting to a couple, I would guess in their 60s, and the lady said that if Jen could manage this climb, then she ought to do Ben Chonzie, a nearby Munro ! Well, that was it, the questions flowed, "What's a Munro?", "Have you done one, Daddy?", "Can we do Ben Chonzie?" ...

After spending a happy half hour eating sandwiches on the top, admiring the views of Ben Lomond and the Arrochar Alps, we set off down again. What a joyous, jaunty walk back to the cabins. By the time we got back I had told Jen of my first climbs and she had hatched her three year plan, "A mountain at 8, a Munro at 9 and a Cuillin at 10" and this time I was not going to say, '"You're too little, darling!"

2009 Ben Ledi 1.jpg

2009 Ben Ledi 2.jpg

2009 Ben Ledi 3.jpg

2009 Ben Ledi 4.jpg

2009 Ben Ledi 5.jpg
Daver64

Munros:10   Corbetts:1
Fionas:2   
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:58
Wainwrights:103   

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland