walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Robbing the US on Derry Cairngorm & Blown up Beinn Mheadhoin

Robbing the US on Derry Cairngorm & Blown up Beinn Mheadhoin

Postby Jambo235 » Wed Aug 29, 2012 10:42 am

Date walked: 29/08/2012

Time taken: 7 hours

Distance: 23 km

Ascent: 1750m

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

A great thanks to all those who gave advice on my "How Windy Is To Windy" (http://www.walkhighlands.co.uk/Forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=24814) post, despite the 50-70 mph winds forecasted, I decided to crack on with the day given the clear weather but knowing it would be a big challenge to do such a long walk and I might have to turn back. I think this is the only walk report of someone doing Derry Cairngorm and Beinn Mheadhoin in one day from the Cairngorm ski car park...

After a mix of trains and buses I managed to cover the 50 miles from my house to the Cairngorm ski car park in 3hrs (public transport in NE Scotland is absolutely grim! I did however get to see an Osprey flying over the Train Station whilst I was waiting for my bus. Then met two stunning girls from the Isle of Lewis in Aviemore for a week on the bus out and managed to arrange a drink in the pub after our two different walks - it was going to be a good day!

Setting off at 10:00 I was immediately stopped by a middle aged American couple from Texas who wanted to know where the Cairngorm summit was. Looking up and staring at it I joked, "That information doesn't come cheap mate." To which he actually offered me £5 if I showed him the way! After a giggle about how wonderfully these two fitted my US stereotype I felt the least I could do was lead them up the first leg of my route, the Fiacaill a' Choire Chais, and then point them towards the summit. My first mistake of the day! I was on quite a tight schedule to do the 23km with 1750m of assent in under 8 hours (the last bus back), my route planner said I'd do it in 7 hours but that didn't incorporate the gale/storm force winds. The couple didn't quite have the same sense of urgency in the initial stage, pardon my harshness, but probably because the wife was a similar size to the mountain we were climbing. As a Scot, I couldn't bear to hand the money back, and I'd have felt to harsh to run off and leave them. At least the frequent stops provided a few photo opportunities:

Rainbow over Loch Morlich:

Fiacaill Ridge, first did it when I was 13 and then again when I was 17, and it's definitely my preferred route of getting onto the plateau:

Even in one of the northern corries the wind was providing a bit of a nuisance and making things tough, a combination of that and the slow couple meant I was already 20 minutes behind schedule when I reached the top of the ridge. So I set the Americans in the right direction (they wanted to do Ben Macdui too but I suggested chinos and no map probably meant they shouldn't) and I started running down towards Coire Raibert where I got a bit of respite from the wind. Following the path down I couldn't see Loch Avon so the descent then re-assent on the other side looked both stunning and ominous:

A bit further on I got to the 'Ford' in Coire Raibert. This set the tone for all the river crossings I had to do that day, I'm not sure what they're usually like but there wasn't much in the way of easy stepping stones and every river was an absolute torrent:

Soon down into Loch Avon the views were astounding, a shower started but the strong winds soon to that:

An unfriendly headwind made the assent up the other side, past the shelter stone, tough going and as soon as I poked my head up out of the valley it felt like a bus hit me. I pushed on and even managed to make up time I had lost when I reached Loch Etchachan, once again the ford past Little Loch Etchachan wasn't much of a ford, but I'd soon continued along the path. I walked along the path until I'd passed Creagain a' Choire Etchachan and headed up to the Bealach (height 1053). I decided that I simply couldn't leave a munro when I was barely 2km away so I started my duel with the winds and headed for Derry Cairngorm. At this point the wind was a side wind and I pretty much had to lean 30 degrees to my right whilst walking forward. It put strain on places I didn't think it was possible to strain! Kevin29035 was bang on when he told me "Side-on is a psychological nightmare!" Once I'd dropped down to the next bealach (1014) I began the assent clambering up the boulder strewn slopes - it was grim. I was 'cruisin for a bruisin' by heading up the ridge and the wind landed some heavy blows in this round. I was lifted off my feet a couple of times but thankfully it put me down surprisingly gently and it actually felt like I was levitating! Eventually I reached the summit in a time far slower than I had planned which made me nervous about missing the last bus, so I barely sat on the summit for a minute before heading on.

View towards Ben Macdui from Derry Cairngorm:

I decided to try and get some shelter by dropping down the east side of the mountain and contouring back to the 1014 bealach, it worked a little but the wind was still massively slowing things down. The side on nightmare continued as before. I made it back to Loch Etchachan and couldn't help but feel the wind may have won a few rounds but the boxing match, and more importantly the summit, were mine!

The assent up Beinn Mheadhoin was the easiest thing I did all day, with a tail wind on the way up it practically flew me to the top where I jogged on towards the summit. Roller blades and a kit surfer would be the way to climb this munro!

View down Glen Derry from near the summit:

Nearing the summit:

Even with the wind the tiny scramble up the west side of the barn wasn't difficult, I did have to crawl on my belly a few times to avoid being blown off though!

The view back the way I came from the barn summit:

More importantly, the views towards Moray between Cairngorm and Bynack More:

I headed down the west side of the mountain and headed for the Creag Dubh. I negotiated a way down to the west of the crag and stream. My word was it step though! A combination of steep, slippy and muddy ground and a strong wind meant I did relive my childhood days and slide on my bum a few times, not always intentionally!

View towards the Saddle over Loch Avon:

I made it down to the Loch and realised there was no ford over the river marked on the map. If the previous fords had been pretty tricky, what was a river where it wasn't even labelled as one going to be like! My fears were confirmed and a deadly (not quite) stream/river was rocketing past with nowhere to cross. I was thankful for my half-shin high military boots and long water proof trousers as I went for the just stick your feet in and cross the thing asap approach. I'd managed to make it across with no water in my boots even though I was knee deep! All those times my boss had told me to polish my boots more had came in handy.

With the wind buffeting down Loch Avon and me starting to get pretty tired, meant the walk up to the Saddle and then towards the Ptarmigan restaurant wasn't going to be pleasant. It wasn't. A few kms into this leg, nearing the bealach between Cairn Gorm and Cnap Coire na Spreidhe there was even a bit of snow:

As I headed to the Ptarmigan restaurant I saw the reindeer herd, which despite all my time here I'd never seen before. I decided not to push how close I could get and just headed along the path. A stag with some decent horns staring me out confirmed I made the right choice!

At the Ptarmigan itself I saw two unusual birds. On closer look one of them had a definite grey head and a bright yellow/orange beak. I thought they could be snow finches, having seen them in the alps a while ago these were fairly similar, but I didn't think you got them in the UK? I managed to get a photo before they flew away, it's not the best but I've circled the male in the grass and the female/juvenile just in front. Perhaps any birders better than I could have a look, zoom in and give their opinion?

A zoomed in shot:

In the end I made it in 7 hours 2 minutes, and missed by bus by those two minutes! Thankfully a man gave me a lift back to Aviemore saving me a 58 minute wait for the bus!

This was also my first walk using poles, it took me an age to get them to stick to the right length, but once I did I found the extra balance when crossing rivers great and they really helped on steep assent and descent. They were a bit of a nuisance when I was on rocky ground, Derry Cairngorm etc, and had to use my hands to climb a bit. Overall though, I’d totally take them out again.
Attachments

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

Jambo235
Stravaiging

Munros:282   Corbetts:17
Fionas:10   Donalds:13
Sub 2000:15   Hewitts:35
Wainwrights:46   Islands:25

Re: Robbing the US on Derry Cairngorm & Blown up Beinn Mhead

Postby Graeme D » Wed Aug 29, 2012 11:02 am

Excellent report Jambo - most humorous! I wonder where the American couple are now???? :? :? :? :? Reminds me of the time on the summit of Macdui about 3 years back, totally clagged in, visibility about as far as my wedding ring, when a group of Dutch blokes huddled around the view indicator asked me if I had any idea which direction Braemar was. :o :o

As for the rivers, doesn't surprise me that they were raging torrents. That stream down Coire Raibert can be a raging torrent at the best of times, and as for the River Avon below Mheadhoin, well I've failed to get across that one myself before. Poles definitely help though - not exactly what they are designed for, but I've made a few crossings in my time that I wouldn't have made without the poles.
Graeme D

Munros:251   Corbetts:124
Fionas:75   Donalds:22
Sub 2000:62   Hewitts:36
Wainwrights:28   Islands:6

Postby jmarkb » Wed Aug 29, 2012 11:53 am

Great report and a good effort in those conditions :clap:
The weather station at the Ptarmigan recorded a maximum gust of 89mph yesterday!

The unusual birds look like snow buntings (different species to snow finch) which are mainly winter visitors, but there are a few (~100) breeding pairs in Scotland. The front one looks like a juvenile: http://ibc.lynxeds.com/photo/snow-bunting-plectrophenax-nivalis/juvenile-0 (adults have more white on them, even in summer plumage).
jmarkb
Mountaineer

Munros:246   Corbetts:105
Fionas:91   Donalds:32
Sub 2000:46   

Postby HighlandSC » Wed Aug 29, 2012 1:58 pm

Good job! Especially using public transport. If there's one thing I hate it's being on a tight schedule on the hill.

Well done for helping the American tourists :lol: :crazy:
HighlandSC

Munros:33   Corbetts:4
Fionas:2   
Sub 2000:14   
Islands:8

Postby AlTodd » Wed Aug 29, 2012 10:15 pm

Pretty certain the birds are Snow Buntings which are frequently seen around the Ptarmigan restaurant especially in the winter months when flocks migrate to Scotland from Scandinavia and further afield. A small number nest in the Cairngorms so you may have been lucky enough to see resident Scottish birds !
AlTodd
Stravaiging

Postby Rudolph » Thu Aug 30, 2012 11:15 am

The easy way to tell the resident birds is whether they charge for posing for a photo.

£5 is the going rate for the adults. Juveniles might settle for a can of something :D
Rudolph
Mountain Walker

Munros:280   
Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:1   

Postby skuk007 » Thu Aug 30, 2012 1:03 pm

Good report Jambo, sounds like quite an ordeal in that wind, at least you managed to make a quick buck. Hope you are going to declare the income to HMRC ;-)

More importantly did u get to have that drink afterwards?
skuk007
Mountain Walker

Munros:44   
Hewitts:8
Wainwrights:16   

Postby meangarry » Thu Aug 30, 2012 3:13 pm

Yeah, spill the beans Jambo!!! I recently returned to a local bothy I frequent to find that I'd missed a couple of nymphomaniacs by one day. They even left me a note. I'm not telling anyone one here what it said tho!!! :lol:
meangarry

Munros:29   Corbetts:19
Fionas:15   Donalds:60
Sub 2000:5   Hewitts:16
Wainwrights:23   

Postby mrssanta » Thu Aug 30, 2012 9:14 pm

these are great pictures!
mrssanta
Mountain Walker

Munros:281   Corbetts:12
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:12   Hewitts:43
Wainwrights:41   Islands:13

Postby Bod » Thu Aug 30, 2012 10:54 pm

Very enjoyable report with fine description and pictures. Inspiring stuff..... :D :D :clap:
Bod
Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:67
Fionas:34   Donalds:21
Sub 2000:44   Hewitts:29
Wainwrights:61   Islands:25

Postby monty » Thu Aug 30, 2012 11:01 pm

Nice report Jambo. Great set of photos. :D

I think this is the only walk report of someone doing Derry Cairngorm and Beinn Mheadhoin in one day from the Cairngorm ski car park...
Its always dangerous to assume. Take a look at my report of 2010

http://www.walkhighlands.co.uk/Forum/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=6988 :lol:
monty

Postby Jambo235 » Fri Aug 31, 2012 12:00 am

Cheers folks! It was a great day out, barely done justice by the photos and report. Sadly I can't lay claim to the originality of this route, but if I'm going to lose monty that's some beast of a walk to lose too!

As for the few questions:
American Tourists: My guess as to their current location is they're sitting on Cairngorm offering a £100 to anyone who could point out Loch Morlich in the views north. Then another £100 if they could be directed towards the Ptarmigan restaurant. Or perhaps they've just been granted rights to start drilling for oil up there?

Ladies of Lewis: Sadly they had a torrid day and got back quite late, they'd left their phones in their hotel and by the time I got a reply to my "I'm finished, free for a drink?" text I was well on the way home. However, all is not lost, because I'm in Aviemore again tomorrow with a bit of free time so I've arranged a lunch date!

Birds (Feathered Ones Not From Lewis): The one I've marked juvenile does look very alike to the juvenile Snow Bunting. I've seen them in the Cairngorms last summer and down on the Moray coast at winter time. As for what I marked 'male' it had a definite grey head and brown body - not much white. Perhaps just a weird changing of plumage or something.
Jambo235
Stravaiging

Munros:282   Corbetts:17
Fionas:10   Donalds:13
Sub 2000:15   Hewitts:35
Wainwrights:46   Islands:25

Postby Graeme D » Fri Aug 31, 2012 10:05 am

Jambo235 wrote:Ladies of Lewis: Sadly they had a torrid day and got back quite late, they'd left their phones in their hotel and by the time I got a reply to my "I'm finished, free for a drink?" text I was well on the way home. However, all is not lost, because I'm in Aviemore again tomorrow with a bit of free time so I've arranged a lunch date!

Ah, you old dog! :lol: :clap:
Graeme D

Munros:251   Corbetts:124
Fionas:75   Donalds:22
Sub 2000:62   Hewitts:36
Wainwrights:28   Islands:6

Postby dogplodder » Fri Aug 31, 2012 10:36 am

Excellent report. I appreciate the distance you covered in the time (wind and Americans notwithstanding :lol: ) having used the same way in to Beinn Mheadhoin.

How does your return route compare time-wise with going back the way you came?
dogplodder

Munros:242   Corbetts:74
Fionas:26   
Sub 2000:32   Hewitts:4
Wainwrights:9   Islands:24

Postby Caberfeidh » Fri Aug 31, 2012 4:00 pm

Jambo235 wrote: I couldn't bear to hand the money back

You actually took money off them??? Very low indeed.... :roll:
Caberfeidh
Stravaiging

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Next

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland