walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Robbing the US on Derry Cairngorm & Blown up Beinn Mheadhoin

Robbing the US on Derry Cairngorm & Blown up Beinn Mheadhoin

by Jambo235 » Wed Aug 29, 2012 10:42 am

Date walked: 29/08/2012

Time taken: 7 hours

Distance: 23 km

Ascent: 1750m

Click to mark this as a great report. Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Re: Robbing the US on Derry Cairngorm & Blown up Beinn Mhead

Postby JohnJoe » Fri Aug 31, 2012 8:47 pm

Good effort. I attempted a similar route last year in winds of up to 100mph. I'm afraid to say I bottled it after about 20 minutes - having been blown over twice - and spent most of the weekend in the car :(

If only I lived only 50 miles away - I might have done it by now!
JohnJoe
Walker

Munros:30   Corbetts:3
Fionas:4   
Sub 2000:3   Hewitts:21
Wainwrights:14   

Postby tomyboy73 » Fri Aug 31, 2012 9:19 pm

that was a good read, love the colour of the lochs
tomyboy73
Mountain Walker

Munros:188   Corbetts:40
Fionas:9   Donalds:3
Sub 2000:6   Hewitts:6
Wainwrights:3   Islands:5
Walk wish-list

Postby davedanson28 » Fri Aug 31, 2012 9:43 pm

Well Jambo...excellent job and a cracking report! :D well done! :clap:
davedanson28
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:5
Hewitts:4
Wainwrights:4   

Postby Jambo235 » Mon Sep 03, 2012 4:18 pm

Cheers again for the comments, if only my Economics essays received the same reviews!

dogplodder wrote:How does your return route compare time-wise with going back the way you came?

Not entirely sure what you mean but I'll give you a few timings in case they help! It took me 2hrs 15min to get from the top of Beinn Mheadhoin back to the car park, that part of the walk dragged a bit. When working out my route I thought it would take me 2hrs, but I didn't take in to account the river crossing, the wind and wasn't expecting to be so tired. I also worked out approximately how long it would take me to go back via the Shelter Stone and Coire Raibert and it was just over 2 hrs as well. I fancied taking a different route to one I'd already used though and when planning the walk I wanted to keep the possibility of climbing Cairngorm time/tiredness dependent. I'd already climbed it from the west so thought I'd take my route as it meant I could climb it from the east.
Jambo235
Stravaiging

Munros:282   Corbetts:17
Fionas:10   Donalds:13
Sub 2000:15   Hewitts:35
Wainwrights:46   Islands:25

Postby dogplodder » Wed Sep 05, 2012 12:26 pm

Jambo235 wrote:Cheers again for the comments, if only my Economics essays received the same reviews!

dogplodder wrote:How does your return route compare time-wise with going back the way you came?

Not entirely sure what you mean but I'll give you a few timings in case they help! It took me 2hrs 15min to get from the top of Beinn Mheadhoin back to the car park, that part of the walk dragged a bit. When working out my route I thought it would take me 2hrs, but I didn't take in to account the river crossing, the wind and wasn't expecting to be so tired. I also worked out approximately how long it would take me to go back via the Shelter Stone and Coire Raibert and it was just over 2 hrs as well. I fancied taking a different route to one I'd already used though and when planning the walk I wanted to keep the possibility of climbing Cairngorm time/tiredness dependent. I'd already climbed it from the west so thought I'd take my route as it meant I could climb it from the east.

Sorry my question wasn't all that clear. :roll: I meant returning from Mheadhoin via the Shelter Stone compared to the way you did it. Sounds like Shelter Stone would be slightly quicker - but I agree it's always good to mix it up a bit. :D
dogplodder

Munros:242   Corbetts:74
Fionas:26   
Sub 2000:32   Hewitts:4
Wainwrights:9   Islands:24

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Previous

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland