walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Through 90 miles of rain to Beinn Sgritheall sunshine

Through 90 miles of rain to Beinn Sgritheall sunshine

by dogplodder » Wed Aug 29, 2012 1:31 pm

Route description: Beinn Sgritheall

Munros included on this walk: Beinn Sgritheall

Date walked: 25/08/2012

Click to mark this as a great report. Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Re: Through 90 miles of rain to Beinn Sgritheall sunshine

Postby sultan » Thu Nov 29, 2012 10:15 am

We went up and down by your ascent route after our friend came back to the hostel the night before covered in cuts on his face that he got fighting his way through the woods to the road via your descent route. :shock:
sultan
Mountain Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:1
Fionas:1   
Sub 2000:12   
Islands:12

Postby dogplodder » Thu Nov 29, 2012 10:15 pm

sultan wrote:We went up and down by your ascent route after our friend came back to the hostel the night before covered in cuts on his face that he got fighting his way through the woods to the road via your descent route. :shock:

Now that I can understand - although I wouldn't much fancy going down that steep scree either! :lol:
dogplodder

Munros:242   Corbetts:74
Fionas:26   
Sub 2000:32   Hewitts:4
Wainwrights:9   Islands:24

Postby dogplodder » Thu Jun 06, 2013 7:37 am

kath098 wrote:Thanks for another great day in the hills. Looking for a walking buddy on WalkHighlands (and finding you!) was the best thing I ever did! :clap: :D

Sadly, although not our last walk together, this was our last Munro. Kath died in an accident walking alone in Glen Carron on 28th May 2013.

This was taken of us together on Beinn Eighe on 26th May 2012. She was a great companion.
DSC_0120-large.jpg
Last edited by dogplodder on Sat Jun 08, 2013 3:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
dogplodder

Postby SusieThePensioner » Thu Jun 06, 2013 10:48 am

A lovely photo of the two of you and wonderful memories for you to cherish.
SusieThePensioner

Munros:6   Corbetts:3
Fionas:4   Donalds:7
Sub 2000:3   Hewitts:107
Wainwrights:156   

Postby dogplodder » Thu Jun 06, 2013 10:24 pm

SusieThePensioner wrote:A lovely photo of the two of you and wonderful memories for you to cherish.

Thank you Susie. There's part of me not wanting to set foot on a mountain ever again. Not because I think the dangers are any greater than I did before - but out of respect for Kath. But I know Kath wouldn't want that and ironically I'd arranged 2 weeks respite care for my mum starting from yesterday to do some walking. Moira and I are heading out tomorrow on what I suspect will be an emotional day. xx
dogplodder

Postby dogplodder » Sun Dec 07, 2014 2:31 pm

Beinn Sgritheall from Sgurr Mhic Bharraich
DSC_1996-large.JPG

Yesterday Penny married Tim - so congratulations to them. :D

And not forgetting Kath's family as they approach a second Christmas without her.

Kath
DSC_0658-largec.jpg
dogplodder

Postby Dambuster » Wed Aug 19, 2015 12:49 pm

Thank you for bringing back such happy memories of what was the best day on a mountain I ever had - this was way back during Easter in 1970 (I seem to remember). We climbed from the north (joined by the warden of Ratagan Youth Hostel who managed to bag himself a pair of antlers from a long dead deer). At about 1200ft we hit the snow line and the white stuff got deep and deeper. Walking along the north ridge at about 2500ft we realised there were huge snow cornices off each side of the ridge. Getting to the summit at about 1pm it was a glorious sunny day completely cloudless. Eating lunch on the summit we became aware of two golden eagles rising in the thermals then swooping down into the Loch Hourn only to rise about ten minutes later back to the summit. Totally mesmerised by these wonderous animals which came to within about 30 - 40ft of where we were sitting. We set off back down slightly to the west of the north ridge coming down into the Cirque which contained so much snow we were able to slide on our ruckscks down about 1000ft using our ice axe to steer and maintain a safe speed. The only draw back was crossing the stream where we'd parked the car (about a mile or so past Balvraid), this required us to use a twin rope one above the other which I managed to fall off all I can say is it was icy cold. Still the VW camper soon managed to warm me up. Clearly for me my favourite Munro.
Dambuster
Munro compleatist

8 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Previous

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland